What ACT costs are incurred with a mechanical valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duffy---here is the email i got from Roche

We would like to take this opportunity to thank-you for your interest in Roche products. We, at Roche Diagnostics value our customers and strive to provide optimal customer service.

With regards to your question, the CoaguChek XS is sold here in Canada with a doctor's prescription, only through certified pharmacies. The suggested retail price for the CoaguChek XS monitor is 499.00$.

The strips shelf life is approximately a year ( more or less), they are sold in formats of 6, 24 and 48. Their retail suggested price is $50.25, $200.55 and $401.76 respectively.

I have included the Roche Web Site to locate a Certified Coagulation Pharmacy nearest you as well as detailed info on the meter itself.

http://rochecanada.com/fmfiles/re7246001/Docs/pharmacies.pdf

They will be listed by province.

If you should require any further information, please do not hesitate to call us at the 1-877-426-2482. We will provide you the name of a certified pharmacy nearest you. Our business hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. It is always a great pleasure for us to hear from customers and assist them anyway we can.

I requested Alere email the forms to fill out for Medicare. I filled out mine and faxed it to them. Partially filled out the cardiologist form, took it to his office for his signature, they faxed it the same day. In one week received notification from Alere that Medicare had approved. Alere sent the meter to a trainer that delivered it to my house. No cost to me.
The lease arrangement is between Medicare and Alere.

hopefully i will be getting a inratio 2 soon! and i believe the ins should be covering it all!!

to have my pro time done at my docs office is a total of about $40
they charge a 5 min office visit and then the like $10 for the test
i have a $25 copay for every office visit..... which makes testing at the office "burn" a little... if you know what i mean.

i like to test weekly

a bottle of 30 warfarin is about $16 but after ins it costs me like $0.46 which is pretty cheap.... but i just found out that if i mail order my Rx thru costco then they are covered 100%

so i am going to follow up on that and save myself $6 per year!! ha

I no longer take it but I did at one time. I tested at and IRN clinic and medicare and BC/BS paid for all of the testing. I was taking warfarin and my cost once my insurance paid was $3.24 for 45 5mg tablets of warfarin.

My situation may be slightly different - and in the past, unfortunately, some people have found it rather controversial.

I don't have insurance. I'm not on medicare. All my ACT is done by me, out of pocket.

About 20 months ago, I was able to get a ProTime meter on eBay for a minimal amount of money. There were a few reasons I got it -- the primary was the price of the meter (it was much less than the CoaguChek or the InRatio meters). I was shopping for one, off and on, for a while. Aside from price, I liked the fact that the ProTime had built in quality controls on the strips. The CoaguChek S didn't, and both it and the InRatio were way beyond my price range.

The ProTime 3 channel strips were about $5 each - a doctor ordered them for me and got the medical professional's price. These strips come with a lancet and blood collection device, so the cost of lancets was irrelevant.

Since then, I replaced my ProTime (which a hospital lab test showed was extremely accurate), with the newer ProTime model - the ProTime3 (which used the same strips, but is a little nicer unit, and which I got for about $50), and later got a CoaguChek S (for $40) because a lot of people on the forum indicated their preference for this meter. (The S was new, but I haven't been all too happy with it -- even though it takes much less blood than the ProTime, I've wasted a lot of strips because it wasn't easy for me to accurately place the drop of blood on the strip). The cost for these strips was also about $5.

For the CoaguChek S, I tried a lancing device that was included in blood glucose test kit that I bought for just a few dollars, and primarily for the lancing device - and some 21 gauge lancets that I bought for pennies apiece. I also tried some single use lancing devices designed to get big drops - these were about 20 cents each.

Warfarin was the same price that others quoted - $10 for 90 10 mg and $10 for 90 4 mg -- my daily dose is usually 7 mg, so 1/2 of each pill is what I take, and it costs $10 for 90 days.

If you don't count the cost of the meters, bought on eBay from reputable sellers, and consider two tests a month (if I don't waste any CoaguChek PT strips), then the total cost per month for two tests and 30 doses of warfarin is about $13.

If I had insurance, the answer may have been a bit different....

Latest posts

Back