We're Home!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shellyb

We flew back from Cleveland yesterday (Tues.). I'ts amazing that Larry had OHS last Wed. and could fly home in 6 days. I have to say I was very nervous about that.

Larry's getting around a lot better than either of us had expected. He's having some sleeping issues. He says that he can't wind down at night and sleep soundly. He's also got some nerve issues in one of his legs. Several people at CC assured him that is common and to expect it to last for a couple of weeks. I think one of the hardest things will be keeping him from overdoing it. He's really bugged about not being able to drive. I don't drive either because of eyesight issues, so we're in a bind for a while. We do have two grown sons that said they will help out but it will be hard for Larry to ask for help.

Overall I have to say that we're SOOO rellieved it's over and it wasn't nearly as bad as expected. As I've said many times before this site has been a great source of information and comfort. Thanks again everyone!!!

shellyb

Welcome Home,

For the first 2 weeks, I too could not get to sleep when it came to bed time. "A medical adjustment and stress" was the doc's conclusion and gave me mild sleeping pills, which helped tremendously.

So glad to hear that your home and Larry is doing so well.
Best wishes

Wonderful. Flying so soon it's just unbelievable.

I am pre op so this is so good to know.

Good luck on his the rest of his recovery going smoothly and remember to take care of yourself as well

Shelly, I am glad you all made it home okay.
The first couple of weeks are difficult, some adjustments are needed.
Maybe he can try to nap in the afternoon, or at least lie down and zone out for a bit. Night time sleeping does improve, hang in there.:)

Shelly. Such wonderful news!! Congratulations to both of you! You did it!!

I found that just listening to my body was the best solution. I slept a lot whenever I felt sleepy. I used a recliner which we had bought for the purpose of recovery. I wasn't good in a bed for the first few weeks, then fine in bed propped up with pillows all around me (especially under my arms to keep the pressure off the sternum). Then at about 3 months out, I ended up back in the recliner for a few weeks....don't know why really. Things just felt better there. There's a lot of emotion tied up in this event. Sometimes it just takes time to let all the wounds heal...even the emotional ones you aren't aware of. In a few months it will all be a faded memory anyway because he'll be feeling so much better!!

Driving is really better left to others. Your sons want to help. Your husband needs to "teach his boys" about giving to others by letting them help the most important man in their life!! What a great life lesson he will be teaching them. A. that it is important to offer help and B. that it is important to allow yourself to receive that help. I know you can maneuver around this little ego thing and help him comply with the doctor's wishes. He REALLY does not want to twist that healing sternum so that in 12 months, every time he twists it grabs up on him because it wasn't allowed to heal properly. Driving is a lot more about twisting and turning than we imagine. Many of us couldn't even open the refrigerator door the first night we were home!! It just takes a little time.

Anyway! Again. Excellent news!!

Marguerite

So glad you are home and Marguerite is right- let the boys help- they will feel much better and so will you and Larry. Best wishes going forward for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Wonderful to hear that it's back to home!

Having some trouble sleeping afterwards is perfectly normal.

As for driving, I strongly suggest, "Ask for the help." It is very important not to drive until the sternum is healed.

All best wishes to you and Larry.

Welcome home. It's good to hear things are going so well for Larry. OHS wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.

I didn't sleep well through the night in the early weeks, either. It'll get better.

Make sure Larry does not over do it. I know first hand that it is easy enough to do, but I also know first hand that when you do, it can set you back. Make sure he listens to his body as it will retaliate if he doesn't. Continued best wishes to both of you......

Great to hear you are home, you're right, we are on the same stage of the journey! John has some trouble sleeping too, he finds he wakes and gets slightly panicky, plus he is on diuretics which mean he wakes for lots of wees too! I also think that your sleep pattern is disrupted and induced so much at hospital that its like having severe jet lag, plus all the emotions must play a major part.

I hope all continues to go well, John is back at the hospital tomorrow for his echo to check his fluid around his heart, so hopefully that will be ok.

One thing that slightly worries me is that his feet are really cold, i don't know if this is normal post op but will mention it to his Dr tomorrow.

Wishing you all the best and keep in touch so we can compare notes of the different stages of the journey...

Much Love

Karen

So relieved to hear you are home. Sounds like you will have your hands full keeping Larry down. Please don't let him drive before the doctor gives the okay.

Get some rest yourself.

Getting home is the best!

Tell those boys to drive their dad around! My 16 year old son was assigned to do my driving, but except for the occasional trip to the doc or to get lunch, it wasn't a big deal.

I babied my sternum for those 8 weeks and I sure am glad. Right now, 3 months out, I don't have any issues with my sternum, though the top of my scar still seems really stiff or tight in the early AM when I first get up.

He's on the way now and things will be back to normal soon. Congrats.

John

WELCOME HOME, Larry (and Shelly!)

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'

Latest posts

Back