Welcome to a new dawn

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdryer

Hi kids

Surgery on mon mar 21, out of ICU mar 22, out of the step down unit today mar 25 lying in after having pacer wires removed typing on an iPhone in a Private room.

Got the On-X 23 mm AV. They tried for a 25 mm because of my active life but no go. Calgary's first On-X implant. Chest tubes still draining so a minor set back.

Sounds like you're doing well. Congratulations on the first On-X in Calgary! Did the doctors provide feedback to you after they implanted that particular valve? I'm due for a new valve on May 2, and would like to get an On-X.

Thanks,
Jon

Bruce, dude you are awesome ...............so does your onyx make you like a Quebecois....seperate and distinct................ WELCOME TO THE GOOD SIDE
highs.gif

Bruce,

So glad to hear from you. Glad that the surgery went well. Still freezing outside so stay indoors and get better. Thanks for being the trail-blazer for the ON-X valve in Calgary!! Let us know when you get out and we'll go for a beer when the weather gets better. Who knows, maybe we will be able to have a cold one on the patio....by July!

Last edited:
Hi Jon

The Docs were impressed by the engineering.

As for noise level it sounds no different from my human valve. When my heart rate picks up all I hear/feel is a light thud thud sound, which is what I heard post AV replacement.

Bina

Those cookies sound great. I can't even consider a beer with jumpy right now. Heart rate is little inconsistent and being treated for arrhythmia. I have a blockage in the bundle branch. This was diagnosed on discovery by the cardiologist. They were concerned it may have been something they did during surgery but found to be more congenital or something that developed. Getting Magnesium drips And upped the metoporol dosage. O2 gets a marginally low at night so supplemented with O2 at bed. I hope having the drain tubes removed and giving the heart time to remodel will eliminate the arrhythmia, heart rate and O2 problems.

Hey Greg A

I guess I am a one of in cow town!

nngbwh I'm in the club now.

Ive still got a few hurdles to jump over befor I get released.

To all of you like jumpy waiting for the trigger for surgery @ < 1.0 cm. Don't. The heart can really get damaged. To all of you tissue valvers who chose a reop over ACT, you have my respect. This is one ride I do not want to repeat.

I was not a pump head. The anetheologist did an ACE job.

Bina

Those cookies sound great. I can't even consider a beer with jumpy right now. Heart rate is little inconsistent and being treated for arrhythmia. I have a blockage in the bundle branch. This was diagnosed on discovery by the cardiologist. They were concerned it may have been something they did during surgery but found to be more congenital or something that developed. Getting Magnesium drips And upped the metoporol dosage. O2 gets a marginally low at night so supplemented with O2 at bed. I hope having the drain tubes removed and giving the heart time to remodel will eliminate the arrhythmia, heart rate and O2 problems.

Justin has RBBB, my guess is yours is left? Did it show up at any of the pre op EKGs or ones you had earlier in your life?

To all of you like jumpy waiting for the trigger for surgery @ < 1.0 cm. Don't. The heart can really get damaged. To all of you tissue valvers who chose a reop over ACT, you have my respect. This is one ride I do not want to repeat.

I was not a pump head. The anetheologist did an ACE job.

Congratulations and speedy recovery! I appreciate the advice. What was your valve opening pre-surgery? Did you and the gas man/gal have a chat pre surgery? What did you tell him/her?

Best wishes,

Jim

Bruce - So glad to see you on this side of the mountain. Your situation sounds like a "light" version of mine. Had chest tubes draining for days, so they came out one at a time, each being a minor victory. I had the arrythmias, only much worse than yours, so we opted for the pacemaker. I've been home 2.5 weeks now, after 10 days in hospital, so I'm just about 4 weeks post op and just now starting to feel a bit like myself.

Keep up the good work! We can all talk later when you feel more up to it.

Hi Lyn

I will presume it to be associated with the Lh side as this was the hypertrophic side. Dr Kidd he would rate the hypertrophic at medium. Presently the Afib is Bout 18 hrs apart. They are replacing electrolytes and the beta blocker in defense.

It's when it happens as now I can hear the On-x

You are doing great. I couldnt type for 2 weeks.Welcome to this side.Take it easy and slow.

Bruce - Watch the beta blockers. When they administered a dose of beta blockers to me, my heart simply stopped. They had to crank up the temporary pacemaker, and ultimately implant the permanent one. I'm on amiodarone for the afib and metoprolol as a beta blocker, but so far I'm pacemaker dependent.

Sounds like you're doing better than I did -- which is really good!

Hey Steve

Got moved back into the step down ward for 24/7 monitoring. The bouts of arrhythmia came within 1 hr apart. I as well am on amio with an upped metoporol dose with rebalancing of electrolytes.

That arrhythmia crap happened to me one night too and I was quickly shuttled back to the step down unit for a Sotalol dose--- since mine was determined to be SVT and not A-fib. Don't worry.

Latest posts

Back