Weight Loss

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinW

Im now 13 days post op and Ive lost 6 kg (about 13 lbs) is this normal ? I didnt eat for 4 days in hospital and since coming home Im eating well, in fact very healthily, a bit less bread and more things like salad & vegetables..........the major difference is I used to drink half a bottle of red wine with dinner and now Ive quit drinking and just have some sparkling mineral water with fresh lemon or lime squeezed into it

I look and feel better without the 6 kg so Im going to try to keep it off, Im now also in the lower range of my BMI, before I was in the upper range (was still within the normal, not overweight, range though)

Its summer here in Brisbane and all my shorts are falling down though :)

I have always lost weight, up to 10 lbs, from each of my surgeries. So, for me, it's normal. I always have gained it back after I feel better. I am a lean person anyway, so I need to gain it back, and always do.

My experience is much like Gail's. I'm not "skinny" - normally at the top of my BMI range, but immediately after surgery I lost 10 or 15 lbs. just from eating less. Food didn't taste right, so I ate less. Within about 6 months, I was back to my normal weight, and have stayed there.

I think the weight loss is pretty normal. If you were gaining a lot of weight, I would check with the doc. In this case, as long as you don't continue losing weight, I'd let it be.

I gained weight after both my AVRs due to fluid retention but it came back off - weight fluctuations either way seem to be normal. I was also very concerned with eating as much as possible while in the early stages of recovery as I figured my body needed all the HEALTHY calories it could get to build new heart and sternum parts . . . if I hadn't been trying to supplement my hospital food I have no doubt I'd have lost weight too . . . .

What Steve said - if you keep losing weight and you have no explanation for it, then talk to your doc. Early recovery is not a time to go on a diet though!! :)

seem to have stabilised at 72kg's for 3 days now, I was 78kg 2 weeks ago, Im not dieting or anything but have changed my diet to low fat and lot of fruit fish & veggies, Ive cut out the cheese, pastry, white bread etc

ohh and the Shiraz ski girl :D

My experience is much like Gail's. I'm not "skinny" - normally at the top of my BMI range, but immediately after surgery I lost 10 or 15 lbs. just from eating less. Food didn't taste right, so I ate less. Within about 6 months, I was back to my normal weight, and have stayed there.

I think the weight loss is pretty normal. If you were gaining a lot of weight, I would check with the doc. In this case, as long as you don't continue losing weight, I'd let it be.

That's about dead on for me as well, I didn't eat well for first month, food just tasted unappealing, I usually only ate because I needed it to live, not because I wanted to. I've gained my weight back and then some (I blame that on quitting smoking) but trying to she'd some lbs. keep up the healthy life style though! It'll sure help.

Latest posts

Back