Week Twelve and I am Done

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgreenbee

Today marks the twelfth week since my valve replacement and I have decided that this is the end point for my recovery. I will no longer think of myself as a cardiac patient. I am not going to restrict my activities at all. Today I lifted a 90 lb lawn mower in and out if the van and the sky did not fall, my sternum did not crack or crumble. I just had my cholesterol test and on Fathers Day I have my echo. The cardiologist will want to see me after that. It matters little what she says then. I am going to continue taking Avapro (irbesartin ) and I will ry to keep up my exercise and sort of healthy eating. I will not take the Crestor she prescribed nor will I think of myself as a person at risk. I had a bicuspid valve. It was replaced. I have recovered. Now I am moving on. I am done.

I will give you one piece of advise dgreenbee at least keep your yearlies current because it could save your life. It did mine.

AVR 7 years ago and Total Aortic root with valve replacement on May 7th this year because of a aortic aneurysm.

Be thankful for your recovery but never take it for granted.

Take care,
Keith

I like the let's move on and not dwell attitude, however to totally ignore it is foolish and not take a med prescribed for I'm sure what would be in your best intention is foolish. I think you should tell your doctor straight up, you're not going to take it. I'm at 4 months and yes I was told I really am not limited anymore, but to use common sense..I hope you do too or you'll find yourself in the hospital again.

I agree with the plan to just "live your life." If, however, that plan includes only going to the doctor when you feel sick, you may be doing yourself a disservice. As the others have said, regular monitoring of your heart and valve is important to ensure that if anything begins to go south, you can be aware of it as soon as possible.

I live my life - probably beyond what many of my age would do. I no longer think of myself as a cardiac patient, even though my surgery and recovery was a bit of a train wreck. I feel good, and I'm going to get on with my life, too, but I will still keep a careful watch on things, just to be sure. Please consider this approach for yourself, too.

The value of Crestor in people with no family or personal history of coronary artery disease or strokes due to plaque formation is debatable. I had a good discussion with my cardiologist when he recommended treatment, essentially just based on the lab result numbers. So called, "treating the numbers" by those, like me, who don't believe everyone benefits from these drugs. I would ask your cardiologist about this. I went on a diet, weight loss and exercise regimen and my cholesterol dropped 50 points. Had I been on Crestor, I might have thought it's a miraculous drug.

Yes sir!!!!!!! Live your life - like me, you are normal now. Sleep well, eat well, exercise lots, and enjoy your life and family!!

Admirable attitude to pick yourself up and get on with it.
Many of us have thought we were fully healed at the three and four months marks but came to discover, it really was a full year to reach full healing, at least it was for me both of my OHS.

If you have a mechanical valve, you will require anti-coagulation.
If you have a tissue valve, it must be consistently checked on at least an annual basis. Tissue valves are not forever.

If you had a repair, it still needs to be periodically and reliably checked.
To hide from this reality will do you no good.

ALL best wishes.

Very happy for you how well you are doing. Keep up the good work.

I should have put "normal" in the quotes to emphasize "new, post OHS, normal". You have to make the best of situation, try to mostly think positive thoughts, and most importantly BELIEVE. If one thinks himself sick and weak, one will be sick and weak, however, if one thinks positively and wishes to get better, that positive thinking does work and makes lots of difference.

Everyone heals at different rates, but it does help to think positively. For some unexplained reasons our bodies do better and recover faster with positive reinforcement.

be positive,but also be carefull,i kinda get where your coming from with doctors but without them where would we all be,just a thought, so crack open the beers and lets have a party yiiipppeeeeeeeeeeee

I agree with the moving on comment. One of the best comments I've read on this forum (among the numerous great comments and discussions) was in regards that our defect has been fixed and with replacing the valve, our hearts now function normally.

Admittedly, I've used the surgery as an excuse at work for one or two things that got forgotten over the winter. I also use it as a joke excuse with my wife, but she doesn't let me get away with that, especially since I push it (both the excuse and my physical limits). I've done running, cycling, and duathlon races already with more planned this summer.

Latest posts

Back