Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really shouldn't, although a few people have reported that. It could be you are feeling cold because your heart is not yet 100% in pumping blood efficiently through your body. As your heart heals it should get better.

For several months post op I was always cold, but I was also taking a higher dose of BP meds.
Now it's much better, I don't feel like I need to sit on a hot rock in the sun all the time.:rolleyes:

Jerry is MUCH colder-natured than before his AVR. If he's not outside working, he's in the house with a jacket on. I've always been cold-natured and he's worse than me now. He's on warfarin and 4 BP meds; we just assumed it was the warfarin. Of course being an older guy could have something to do with it as well. He's 71 and was 65 when he had the surgery in 2002.

My feet are always cold, but that could be just because I am getting older. I seem to remember a previous thread talking about Coumadin affecting your circulation, which can cause cold extremities. I think this is the same issue that can cause purple toes in the more severe cases. Beta Blockers can also cause cold feet and hands.

Straight from the physicians prescribing leaflet:

Adverse reactions reported infrequently include: hypersensitivity/allergic reactions, including anaphylactic reactions,
systemic cholesterol microembolization, purple toes syndrome, hepatitis, cholestatic hepatic injury, jaundice,
elevated liver enzymes, hypotension, vasculitis, edema, anemia, pallor, fever, rash, dermatitis, including bullous
eruptions, urticaria, angina syndrome, chest pain, abdominal pain including cramping, flatulence/bloating, fatigue,
lethargy, malaise, asthenia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain, headache, dizziness, loss of consciousness, syncope,
coma, taste perversion, pruritus, alopecia, cold intolerance, and paresthesia including feeling cold and chills.

I know that Lovenox or heparin- another anticoagulant- can cause chills and fever . I do not think that coumadin also does this ,but it could.( oh I guess it does , thanks,Ross)
It als may just be a result of postop OHS- I had numbness and tingling
in my hands and feet when I first came home,
LotsaLuck

Thanks ROSS***

After reading your symptoms list I now have each and every one.:mad:

ouch oh whoops yikes...and the wife complained that I kept
turning up the heat.
Not so bad now after almost 9 weeks.

khawkk said:
Thanks ROSS***

After reading your symptoms list I now have each and every one.:mad:

ouch oh whoops yikes...and the wife complained that I kept
turning up the heat.
Not so bad now after almost 9 weeks.
Do you have the loss of consciousness too?:eek:

Ross said:

Adverse reactions reported infrequently include: hypersensitivity/allergic reactions, including anaphylactic reactions,
systemic cholesterol microembolization, purple toes syndrome, hepatitis, cholestatic hepatic injury, jaundice,
elevated liver enzymes, hypotension, vasculitis, edema, anemia, pallor, fever, rash, dermatitis, including bullous
eruptions, urticaria, angina syndrome, chest pain, abdominal pain including cramping, flatulence/bloating, fatigue,
lethargy, malaise, asthenia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, pain, headache, dizziness, loss of consciousness, syncope,
coma, taste perversion, pruritus, alopecia, cold intolerance, and paresthesia including feeling cold and chills.

I first read this as "perversion", without the taste and instantly thought of Ross.

Mimi:

What's the weather like Down Under? You're heading into fall/winter, aren't you?
It's also only been 2 months since your surgery. Have you lost any weight? That could make you feel colder.

I do feel the cold more than I did pre-op. But I have also lost about 50 pounds, and my "fat suit" ain't there any more. :)
I wear jackets most of the time, unless it's hotter than blazes, like in the summer. I'm perfectly fine then; others are sweltering. :D

Warfarin chills

Warfarin chills

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice about warfarin chills. It's probably that winter is approaching! Australia's winter begins in June and it has been very cold lately. Actually, it may rain today which is a good thing because we need the water. At the moment, Victoria has water restrictions and this means no washing cars (except at a car washing business) and only watering gardens at specific times during the week. (Sorry about the tangent!)

Regards,

Liz.

Mimi said:
Does taking warfarin effect your body temperature because lately I have been feeling cold?
Hi Liz,
I'm certainly feeling the cold more this autumn, but I don't know if it because of the warfarin or that I've lost 23 kilos since last winter.

Jeff.

allhigh said:
HEY ROSS.....
thanks heaps for that....ure a gem.....!
ime just going outside to jump in front of a trunk....
cheers mate, ive left my racehorses to you, plus the bills that are owing.!!!!!
all the best.
AH.
No more bills please. I'm burried 12 ft under as is with bills. :(

Ross said:

I can't help but wonder WHY more Doctors (PCP's, Cardiologists, and Surgeons) do NOT suggest 'trying Coumadin BEFORE Surgery' just to see if the patient can tolerate it without serious side effects before committing them to a Lifetime of Coumadin use (or worse - another Valve Replacement with a Tissue Valve because of an incompatibility with anti-coagulation...admittedly a rare result)

'AL Capshaw'

Intolerance to cold and feeling chilled

Intolerance to cold and feeling chilled

Unfortunately yes.
Frequently I feel "chilled to the bone" regardless of ambient air temperature. This is less likely to occur during the hot humid summers unless I'm in air-conditioned premises. Everyone else is intolerant of the heat. Me, I'm intolerant of air conditioning. My worst summer experience with heat since valve replacement occurred when I was temporarily warfarin-free because of surgery. I even took a comforter to the hospital because I thought I'd freeze. Following 9 years of ACT I had forgotten what 85 deg. F felt like--hot. Sitting next to a propane fireplace pushing out the heat doesn't banish feeling chilled to the bone which is worse in the late afternoon for some reason.

One thing I think I should clear up is that I have read that any symptoms of feeling cold are fairly rare. Before I started taking the drug many years ago I met someone at a cookout that was on it and they kept saying they were cold because their blood was thinner than normal. I had heard this a lot from people years ago when they would find out I was on Coumadin. "Oh, so you get cold easily because your blood is thin."

If someone is experiencing being cold it isn't because their blood is thin - because their blood isn't any thinner on the drug, nor does it inhibit circulation. It is not a symptom that everyone experiences who takes Coumadin. Very few people really do. I tried to find the study I saw a few years ago, but was unsuccessful.

I seem to get cold easier but I imagine it?s age (God I hate saying that:mad: ) more than anything else. DW says she get cold easier than years past and she is not on Warfarin or had OHS.

Latest posts

Back