Vita-Mix Blender 5200...anyone owns one?!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eva

Miracle Believer
Supporting Member
Every time I saw its presentation at Costco, I wanted one but was hesitant that I might not get same results at home. At last, we bought one last Sunday and I am excited about though I am not getting the same results (so far) and I am experimenting with it all day.

I am wondering if anyone owns one and if so to share our experience...if not, I will have to join the Vitamix forum.

Eva:

Congratulations! Looks like you chose a good machine.

John & I subscribe online to Consumer Reports (in addition to regular mag version), so I checked CR's blender ratings. It shows that a Vita-Mix 5000 at the top of the list ( :) ! ) of 33 blenders tested, rated as excellent in smoothies, puree, crushing ice, icy drinks, average in convenience and fair on noise (hey! it's BLENDER and blenders do tend to be noisy).
The online reports usually specify when the ratings were done, but I couldn't find a date.
I'll bet your 5200 is very similar to the 5000.

Thanks, Marsha. I always wanted one since a girlfriend recommended it to me, many years ago. Her brother is a nutritionist and recommended $650 then.!! I got seven years warranty...

I made my first hot calufiflower cheese soup...delicious and fast...only 6 minuts...enough appetizer quantity for four.

I have not yet been able to blend fruits without getting a froth. I am sure will get it right soon.

Thanks, Marsha. I always wanted one since a girlfriend recommended it to me, many years ago. Her brother is a nutritionist and recommended $650 then.!! I got seven years warranty...

I made my first hot calufiflower cheese soup...delicious and fast...only 6 minuts...enough appetizer quantity for four.

I have not yet been able to blend fruits without getting a froth. I am sure will get it right soon.

Could you please send me the recipe for that cauliflower soup my friend?? I love cauliflower but don't fix it that often because I don't know of too many ways to make it. Soup sounds wonderful!!! also.....a strawberry smoothie with pineapple sounds yummy too!! :p

Have fun experimenting with your new toy!!!! :)

Could you please send me the recipe for that cauliflower soup my friend?? I love cauliflower but don't fix it that often because I don't know of too many ways to make it. Soup sounds wonderful!!! also.....a strawberry smoothie with pineapple sounds yummy too!! :p

Have fun experimenting with your new toy!!!! :)

me too meeee tooooo

Eva:

Post some smoothie recipes under the Recipes forum.
My girls-night-out was last night, and my friend Linda was asking us for some smoothie recipes. I have never had a smoothie, so I'd be interested in trying some.
TIA.

Gals, I shall be happy to share some recipes (or as much as you want), hoping they would work with the blenders you have. Let me know the results. I am curious...and if you get good results with your own blenders it will be good news to me.

As for hot soups, the high friction and wattage of this blender heats up the water and makes hot soup within 6 minutes, and using ice cubes with this high speed makes smoothies within a minute!!

Will be happy to share, for now, recipe for hot broccoli soup, and a recipe for a smoothie. If these work well without breaking your machines, I shall post them under "Recipes"...I do not want to recommend it before I would try them using a regular blender.

Broccoli Cheese Soup:)I doubled the amount which was enough for 4 people...appetizer size!

1 cup skim or low fat milk
1/3 c (40g) shredded, low fat cheddar cheese (I personally used
the Monterey Jack Pepper Cheddar cheese as hubby loves it)
1 c (100g) chopped fresh or frozen broccoli or cauliflower florets, Steamed (I did not steam)
1 teaspoon diced onion (I used half a medium raw onion...we all love onions)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon or soup base

1. Place all ingredients into the Vita-Mix container in the order listed and secure lid.
2. Select variable 1 (which is the lowest speed)
3. Turn machine on and quicily increase speed to Variable 10 (The highest variable speed),
then to to High (which is double the highest variable)
4. Blend for 5-6 minutes or until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid.

Bon appetit!

Yields 2 cup. per 1 cup serving: 112 cals.; 12 g protein; 2 g total fat; 1 g sat. fat; 12 g carb.; 1 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 291 mg Calcium, 1mg iron; 228 mg sodium, 581 IU Vit. A; 49 mg Vit. C; 7 mg Cholesterol.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Triple Berry Smoothie

1/2 c water
1/4 cup low fat vanilla yogurt (I used Vanilla soymilk)
1/2 c frozen unsweetened strawberries
1/2 c frozen unsweetened blueberries
1/2 c frozen unsweetened rasberries

1. place all ingredients into the Vita-Mix container in the order listed and secure lid
2. select variable 1.
3. turn machine on and quickly increase speed to variable 10, then to high.
4. blend for 90 seconds or until desired consistency is reached.

Yields 1 1/2 cups. Note: I personally do not measure, just add milk or berries as needed!

per 1 cup: 110 cals.; 3 g protein; 1 g total fat; 24 g carbs; 16 g sugar; 87 mg calcium; 30 mg sodium; 141 IU vit. A; 42 mg vit. C, 2mg cholesterol.

++++++++++++++++

Note: I use whatever fruits I have, fresh or frozen...my favorite own recipe using the regular blender before buying this vitamix was and still is: any fruits with vanilla soymilk and a banana...blend until well mixed...it is a juice not a smoothie.

Note: what makes above a smoothie is using the frozen fruits or ice and the high speed of Vitamix.

Eva, I was wonderring how you like your Vita-mix and if you still use it often? QVC has it for 376 today (3rd) its the one that is 450ish at their(vita) site. It looks pretty interesting

nevermind I looked at both sites and the qvc doesn't come with the dry blade, so yo'd have to buy that

Hi Lyn,

The more I am getting used to it, the more I like it. I use it every day. We bought it from Costco for $325...no dry blade! I do not need it.

Thanks, the morre read the more it looked like I probably wouldn't need the dry blade, since it looked like that was manily for making flour, something I can't imagine I would every want to do, heck I make cakes and brownies from a box

Now I just have to figure out, if you get more from qvc than costco, is see a travel mug but that certainly isn't worth 50 bucks

Bumping up this older post. Eva, do you still use the vitamiz and like it? or is it something you might use a couple times when its new and then forget about it? ...yes its on qvc again, this time it has the dry container too.

I LOVE it, Lyn. Do not return it. I use it every morning...I mix my vegies with some fruits and some soy milk! I vary what I use every morning so that I won't get bored and I invent...I use whatever I have at home. But most mornings I start with a big bunch of raw Spinach, 8 walnuts, a banana, green apple, frozen berries and some soy milk. Orange juice goes very well with them. Sometimes I add the protein powder when hubby is in a rush to leave. Dr. Oz mentioned that raw spinach in the morning is a great liver cleanser!

Sometimes i use it at night. I tried their Broccoli soup...delicious and so easy.

Enjoy and do not get frustrated at start as I did. It take a while to *train it* to do recipes to your liking.:)

Enjoy, my dear.

I LOVE it, Lyn. Do not return it. I use it every morning...I mix my vegies with some fruits and some soy milk! I vary what I use every morning so that I won't get bored and I invent...I use whatever I have at home. But most mornings I start with a big bunch of raw Spinach, 8 walnuts, a banana, green apple, frozen berries and some soy milk. Orange juice goes very well with them. Sometimes I add the protein powder when hubby is in a rush to leave. Dr. Oz mentioned that raw spinach in the morning is a great liver cleanser!

Sometimes i use it at night. I tried their Broccoli soup...delicious and so easy.

Enjoy and do not get frustrated at start as I did. It take a while to *train it* to do recipes to your liking.:)

Enjoy, my dear.

Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the spinach in the morning being good for your liver, since I take alot of meds that are tough on it and need bloodwork every 6 months or so..hey it would be interesting to watch and see if my number change

Thanks, I'm glad you mentioned the spinach in the morning being good for your liver, since I take alot of meds that are tough on it and need bloodwork every 6 months or so..hey it would be interesting to watch and see if my number change

I too would be interested to know the results! So, please share them. I honestly started feeling an overall improvement since I followed this...I have better energy on those days too. Luckily, since it is becoming a routine and since I do not eat much more greens other than that, my INR had not been affected either.

Enjoy!

I too would be interested to know the results! So, please share them. I honestly started feeling an overall improvement since I followed this...I have better energy on those days too. Luckily, since it is becoming a routine and since I do not eat much more greens other than that, my INR had not been affected either.

Enjoy!

When I get the blood work done , I'll be sure to let you know, mine are always elevated to seeing them go down would be great.

Eva,

I cut the fruit up & freeze on a cookie sheet then put in zip lock bags. When ready to use, I toss pieces in the blender with some fruit juice to make smoothies. Start off on the low speed & gradually go to high until 4 pillows form. Come out great every time. I've tried all different combinations of fruits.

Eva,

I cut the fruit up & freeze on a cookie sheet then put in zip lock bags. When ready to use, I toss pieces in the blender with some fruit juice to make smoothies. Start off on the low speed & gradually go to high until 4 pillows form. Come out great every time. I've tried all different combinations of fruits.

Lamico,

Thanks for the tip. I learned over time to do the same! Much better than adding ice, especially when I want a dessert/home-made ice cream. I mix the frozen fruits with little Greek yogurt and some sweetener.:smile2:

Latest posts

Back