Very sore chest. Looking for similar issues

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gribur

Hello everyone. I am now over 1 year out and other then some occasional shortness of breath seem to be not too bad heart wise. I am concerned about another issue that has recently developed though. My chest/sternum area has began hurting again. It started in 1 spot, about the size of a dime on or just between a rib on the right side of my incision scar. It hurts like mad to touch the spot. It has now progressed to the point that I am feeling like I did a few months post op, it hurts to move laundry around, to buckle my daughter into the car and it aches. First thing to my mind was maybe a wire is trying to poke out, but now with the spreading pain I am at a loss. Anybody had the same issues? I have called and have an apt with my surgeon in sept. but I am needless to say concerned. ty guys and god bless, talk soon

Well if you have an infection it will start to swell. The wires don't "start to poke out" but they can harbor infections. Since its a year out IF it is an infection it may be propionibacter (a common skin bacteria) which can find a place to hide and can take a year to show up.

Essentially its a waiting game. No need to panic, just be vigilant and perhaps take photographs daily to actually see changes.

If nothing happens and it goes away, sweet. If not you'll have a series to show yr doctor.

You can read about my experiences here if you search with my username and the key word feelings

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

With any discomfort/pain go see your GP asap. This would be my first step if the pain is that bad.
When it doubt, get it checked out.

I think Pellicle's and Fred's advice is good. I would try to see my GP, and if he thinks it's something, he might be able to get your appointment with the cardio moved up. In the meantime, I'd monitor per pellicle's suggestion.

I had something similar to what you are describing about 2 years post op. One spot on the lower right side of the sternum itself became extremely sore, sometimes unbearably so. I was diagnosed with Costochondritis and after a shot of cortisone into that space, it resolved fairly quickly. From time to time I can get a touch of soreness in that area, but nothing like that first flare up I had.

I would not wait so long to see a doctor.

I agree a prompt appointment with your Primary care doctor might be a good idea.

Latest posts

Back