Very Hard Decision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superbob- I think you are doing what's best for both you and Daisy. Our daughter and husband were fortunate enough to get a wonderful yellow lab from Lab Rescue in the DC-Baltimore area this past December and those folks were fussy indeed! Our kids had to pass a home study- rather like child adoptions- and only then were they considered as possible dog owners. Then they were matched with 3 possible dogs and went on home visits to the homes which were fostering them. The result was a marvelous match for them- a calm and loving 3-year old male, named Tioga (after the Tioga Pass were they did some memorable hiking). They had wanted a black female, but turns out this was the perfect match as far as temperament went. The organization seemed very careful about placement. Guess it will be hardest on you to give her up!

Superbob,

I feel your pain. When we took in the abandoned dog at our place we debated long and hard about keeping her. We really didn't want another inside dog (inside dogs ain't considered DAWGs). Even the cat conspired against me by actually tollerating the dog.:mad:

Peggy was able to find a good home for her. They have two young kids and she is now in a happy home. And the cat now has HIS home back!!!:D

May God Bless,

Danny :)

Ruthie and Bubba, I appreciate you passing along these personal experiences. They are very reassuring. And as I have said before, I am appreciative of all the kind and compassionate comments on this thread. Won't try to name them all, because I am afraid I would leave out someone.

Daisy is now up on the Rescue's website. What wonderful people these are to work with! God bless them.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11668745

I've been reading all the posts to your thread SB & I totally agree with everyone that you had to make a very unselfish decision & put up Daisy for adoption.

I know how very hard that is because I too love my pets dearly & I've been faced with some very tough decisions with numerous pets that we've had in the past years. Everytime I loose one, I promise myself that I'll never get another one because the pain of loosing them is almost unbearable. But, inevitably I always end up getting another one.

You did the right thing for Daisy & for yourself & your wife. :)

Take care!

I thought I would just post one final time on this thread to let all of you who so kindly offered me encouragement know the final outcome.

Daisy the super-energetic chocolate lab went to her new home Tuesday. Her new masters are a young married couple, twentysomething, with a young black lab and a large, fenced backyard. They live not more than 20-25 miles away off the Blue Ridge Parkway. A bonus is that we know the young woman's Mom and she volunteered to bring Daisy back over occasionally for visits.

The wonderful Lab Rescue people had gotten a few applicants but none as ideal as this. This is an answer to prayers. I know Daisy is having fun romping with her new playmate.

Yes, it's a lot quieter here, and we've looked in our backyard more than once expecting to see Daisy running laps or chasing squirrels. :D She'll always have a place in our hearts.

Our older retriever, Sadie, looks for her too, but Sadie is happy I am back to walking her (as best I can right now with the bum knee) and giving her her full measure of "Sadie time" which Daisy cut into.

Okay, I'll leave it at that. I just wanted all the wonderful folks and animal lovers to know that this has had a happy ending. :)

I thought I would just post one final time on this thread to let all of you who so kindly offered me encouragement know the final outcome.

Daisy the super-energetic chocolate lab went to her new home Tuesday. Her new masters are a young married couple, twentysomething, with a young black lab and a large, fenced backyard. They live not more than 20-25 miles away off the Blue Ridge Parkway. A bonus is that we know the young woman's Mom and she volunteered to bring Daisy back over occasionally for visits.

The wonderful Lab Rescue people had gotten a few applicants but none as ideal as this. This is an answer to prayers. I know Daisy is having fun romping with her new playmate.

Yes, it's a lot quieter here, and we've looked in our backyard more than once expecting to see Daisy running laps or chasing squirrels. :D She'll always have a place in our hearts.

Our older retriever, Sadie, looks for her too, but Sadie is happy I am back to walking her (as best I can right now with the bum knee) and giving her her full measure of "Sadie time" which Daisy cut into.

Okay, I'll leave it at that. I just wanted all the wonderful folks and animal lovers to know that this has had a happy ending. :)

It sounds like a story with a happy ending. Congratulations to all involved.:)

Terrific outcome for all! Thanks for sharing this great news. It's really nice of your friend to offer to bring Daisy for visits.

Bob, that is great news!
It may be prudent not to rush into post adoption visits and give Daisy a chance to really settle in and feel like she belongs.
Fortunately labs adjust well. You have done good!!
((hugs))

Oh! I'm so happy for Daisy, and for you, since you probably couldn't have picked a better home for her yourselves! Fan-Tastic!!!

Glad the saga ended happily for both man and dog.

Al Capshaw wrote that he is not a fan of "authoritarian" dog taining methods, but, as much as I am in awe of his knowledge of heart related issues, I have to disagree with him on that. Dogs need a master, not a cruel one, but a forceful, domineering owner, who is to be obeyed always, and without question. Read, for example, the book on dog training written by The Monks of New Skete.

I've had canine partners all of my life. My current canine friend anticipates my commands and obeys me absolutely and without question. This is not because I am cruel to him, rather, I have spent hours and hours training him (obedience training,) which is essential but all too often lacking as dog owners feel the need to be only "kind" to their pets.

If you really want to be kind to your dog, train her relentlessly until it's no longer necessary to do so. Then you will have a companion beyond comparison for life.

Best wishes,

Jim

Thanks for the update on Daisy Bob.

It's GREAT that she found such a good match to her personality and energy level.

I confess I'm a bit skeptical on the Visits though.

My concern is that it could be confusing to her, especially in the near term. She needs to bond with her 'new family' and not think that she might be able to return to her previous home.

I know it took a LONG time for my latest adoptee to 'adjust' and 'accept' that this was her new home and her new life. I've been tempted to send a picture and note to her previous family but I think that contact with them would be distruptive to her even after 2 years, not to mention confusion for the children in that family.

If You and your wife wanted to hear stories of how she is 'getting on' and receive some occasional pictures, I can see where that would be comforting.

This might be a good question to pose to the Lab Rescue People. Surely they have had similar experiences before.

'AL Capshaw'

AWWWWE this is so sweet from beginning to end
quite emotional to :'( ........ Happy ending:)

zipper2 (DEB)

superbob, you have done the best thing for Daisy, for Sadie and for yourself, your knees and your sanity! I am so glad Daisy has found such a perfect home, that must be a great relief to you knowing that she will be well cared for and happy, although I am sure you will miss her.

Thanks again for all the wonderful support. Just to follow up on a point Bina and Al made, we don't plan on any visits any time soon at all, if ever. It was just a point of reassurance to know we might see our friend Daisy again sometime in the future. It would only be well after she bonded with her new family, and if there were any visit, I would think it would be better if we visited her at her new home rather than her coming back here. So we're not going to do anything to disrupt her adjustment.

Latest posts

Back