verified inratio2 with lab. Not happy with results!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcasey5

In the year or so that I have had my Inratio2, I have never went to the lab and verified the readings. So, a culmination of different things happened last week along with a lab to verify my INR. My cardio gets me to do a lab every 3 or 4 months to see how things were going. In this case bad. Friday (aug 15th) My son and I drove from Maryland to Bathurst new brunswick, about 1020 miles (1632 kilometers) for a wedding. I was real tired by the time I got to the hotel. Went to the wedding on Saturday, then drove back home Sunday. I ate mostly salads and drank some beer, along with the lack of sleep.

Anyway, Monday I got my INR checked at the lab (veinous draw), and used my machine at the same time. My machine read 1.9, but the lab read 1.6! I used the same arm and everything. I increased my dose and now I am up to 4.4 on my machine. I'm not worried about the high number, but the .3 difference. And the fact that it is reading high!

So now I am wondering if I should contact the manufacturer? Wait and test again? Adjust my numbers to reflect a high reading, like making my range 2.3 to 3.3 instead of 2.0 to 3.0? This worries me, have any of you come across this problem?

Don't assume that your machine is incorrect, it could be the lab test. Since the two tests are from different testing methods, it does not surprise me that the results might vary .3. Use the simple trick to test the accuracy of your machine....test someone not on warfarin....result should be close to 1.0.

I also think the recent trip and diet over a short period could have screwed up your INR, as is indicated by your INR jumping to 4.4 when you increased your dose. I think I would go back to my previous dose and check after a week.

I agree with Dick and resume your regular dose and check again in about 7 days.

I usually have a higher reading from my monitor than the lab, yes a .3 difference which is totally acceptable.

If you can, try to stay on the higher end of your range as I think most of us do, it gives a little bit of room to 'play'.

Agreeing with Dick and Freddie.... Your lab vs monitor difference of .3 is not uncommon.
It also sounds like when your INR was too low from your trip, that you may have over compensated with too large
of an increase giving you the next reading of 4.4
Small adjustments usually do the trick, as well as aiming for the middle of your range.
Don't worry about it at all, just mark it on your calendar to keep in mind for your next trip. :)

excellent, thanks! I am going back to my regular dose that has had me stable for the past year or so. I like the idea of testing someone who is not anticoagulated. "HONEY, Come here a minute......" :) Thanks!

I agree with the others. At 1.6 (or 1.9), after a strenuous trip, your INR drop shouldn't be too troubling. I'd also stay with my standard dosage, if I had the same situation. Your meter has quality control built into the strips--if it doesn't show an error when you run a test, your result is probably pretty accurate. As Dick suggested, perhaps the lab results were off -- your blood does a lot less traveling from finger to strip than it does under possibly fairly poor controls from artery to lab and from lab to test equipment. I personally wouldn't be troubled by a difference between lab and meter of 0.3.

Hi casey
The .3 difference matters little. In the bigger picture it doesn't alter the dose adjustment. The .3 difference is totally acceptable proving just how accurate your monitor is.

+1 on everything the others said above. 0.3 is not too big a deal, BUT... that is also a good example of why we should target the mid to upper range of our recommended INR parameters. If you target 2.5 to 3.0, then that 0.3 swing would have been a complete non-issue, and you would not have worried all this time.

I know it's hard to do at times, (been self testing for over 10 yrs.) but I would rather be a little bit high than low. I have an aortic mechanical, and target 2.5 to 3.5.
Basic rule, as long as I am between 2.0 and 4.0. That is ok, but I try to stay around 3.0.

Rob

Latest posts

Back