Valve pounding against sternum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/529590/

Dr. Hillel Laks (Beverly Hills, Calif.), professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, was awarded a distinguished UCLA Chancellor?s Professorship April 30 at a reception in his honor at the Regency Club in Westwood, Calif.

The University of California, by policy and tradition, reserves the title ?Chancellor?s Professor? for scholars of international distinction who are recognized and respected as teachers of exceptional ability. The criteria for selecting holders of the professorships are distinguished achievement of the highest level in research, teaching and service.

?Hillel is internationally recognized for his creative and pioneering surgical approaches to complex heart disease and his willingness to undertake the most challenging adult and pediatric cases,? said UCLA Acting Chancellor Norman Abrams. ?I am pleased to honor him for his numerous and significant contributions, which have advanced the field of cardiothoracic surgery.?

Among his extensive list of accomplishments, Laks pioneered many surgical procedures that have become standard worldwide, including a technique that uses Gore-Tex patches to reinforce the walls of severely enlarged hearts.

In 1984, Laks founded UCLA?s Heart Transplant Program, which is now one of the largest and most recognized programs in the world. In 1986, he started the UCLA Lung and Heart-Lung Transplant Program. He also began the pediatric mechanical assist device program, which is the largest of its kind.

In addition, Laks developed UCLA?s revolutionary alternate-recipient heart transplant program in 1992, which allows older and higher-risk patients who would not qualify for a heart transplant to receive hearts that otherwise would not be used. He also served as principal investigator for the UCLA Total Artificial Heart Program and the Jarvik 2000 heart assist device trials, among many other research studies.

Over the years, Laks has recruited and supported a distinguished faculty, known for excellence in clinical work and research, and has trained a generation of surgeons, each of whom has made a significant mark in practice or academics.

He has donated his skill and support to children worldwide through humanitarian missions, traveling to Russia, Peru, Thailand, Saudi Arabia and many other countries to perform complex heart surgeries.

?It is impossible to overstate the depth of Hillel?s personal commitment or the countless hours he has devoted to his patients and his work,? said Dr. Ronald Busuttil, who holds UCLA?s William P. Longmire Jr. Chair in Surgery and is professor and executive chair of the department of surgery at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. ?His presence and character have contributed significantly to the growth and identity of our medical center over the past quarter century.?

For more information on UCLA?s division of cardiothoracic surgery, please visit http://www.surgery.medsch.ucla.edu/cardiac.

+

http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?id=458&action=detail&ref=8068

Hillel Laks, MD

Specialty
Thoracic Surgery

Gender Language Spoken
Male English

Hospital Affiliation
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center

State License Number
A37669

Contact
(310) 206-1837

Fax Number
(310) 206-0852

MEDICAL BOARD CERTIFICATION
Thoracic Surgery, American Board of Thoracic Surgery, 1976
Surgery, American Board of Surgery, 1975

EDUCATION
Residency
Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery, Brigham & Women's Hospital, 1969 - 1974

Surgery, Hadassah Medical Organization, 1968 - 1969
Pathology, Hadassah Medical Organization, 1967 - 1968

Internship
Surgery and Medicine, Johannesburg General Hospital, 1966 - 1967

Medical Degree
MD, University of the Witwatersrand Medical School, 1965

CLINICAL INTEREST
Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return, Aortic Aneurysm, Aortic Valve Surgery, Assist Devices, Atrial Septal Defect Repair, Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, Heart, Heart Lung Transplant, Heart Transplant, Infants, Maze Procedure (for atrial fibrillation), Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Procedures, Mitral Valve Surgery, Pectus Excavatum / Carinatum, Pediatric Cardiac Surgery, Pericardial Window, Pericardiectomy, Tricuspid Valve Surgery, Ventricular Anuerysms Repair

AFFILIATION
Department Affiliation
Director, Heart and Heart-Lung Transplant Program
Physician, Surgery, Transplantation Services, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart Transplantation, Lung and Heart-Lung Transplantation, Lung Transplant Program

Laks is VERY good, he is one of the best CHD surgeons and is very good with complex cases.

I'm sorry you are having this problem, I can imagine how it must be drivng you nits. FWIW Justin's pulm valve is right under his sternum, well technically a section of his conduit is right under his sternum, they put a section of conduit then the valve then another section of conduit so the valve wouldn't be right under his sternum, thankfully he doesn't have what you are decribing but he has a bovine valve so maybe that makes the difference. His heart is very forward in his chest and when he is laying down you can usually see his chest move with each beat. He's 5'11 170

Seth, yes Dr. Laks from UCLA and Dr. Raissi from Ceadars are two of the best Doc's in this area for what you have had done. You can PM Haleygirl and she'll tell you all about Dr. Raissi, also PM Resqrn he know's alot and has also gone to Dr. Raissi I think. You can find them in the member list.
Take care and good luck Debbie :)

Seth, I do not know Dr. Raissi, but I heard about Dr. Laks' reputation. I did not meet him personally. When I looked up UCLA drs' cvs, I chose Dr. Richard Shemin. When I called his office for an appointment, he picked up the phone as his assistant was off. He gave me all the time I needed, looked me up on the computer while talking to me, even though he had just returned for a heart transplant. I was impressed on the phone, and more impressed when I met him. If your insurace is a good one, see both or the three and decided for yourself.

Herer is Shemin's CV: http://www.surgery.ucla.edu/cardiac/doctors_shemin.shtml

Here is an interview with him:
http://www.uclahealth.org/body.cfm?xyzpdqabc=0&id=122&action=detail&ref=394

Good luck :)

Seth, people could hear my valve clicking from across the room. It bothered me some at night while trying to go to sleep. It continued to be noisy for several years. I can still hear it in bed and wife says she can hear it sometimes. I think it started getting quieter after about 10 years.

No one warned us about the valve noise but I didn't take it as any big deal. I had more things to worry about. They had to open me back up on the second day after surgery. Back to ICU three different times, 21 pints of blood and 20 days in the hospital. I was just proud to get to go home. I had got depressed after watching people 20 years older than me that had AVR and go home in 5 days.

Hope things go well for you.

Seth, people could hear my valve clicking from across the room. It bothered me some at night while trying to go to sleep. It continued to be noisy for several years. I can still hear it in bed and wife says she can hear it sometimes. I think it started getting quieter after about 10 years.

No one warned us about the valve noise but I didn't take it as any big deal. I had more things to worry about. They had to open me back up on the second day after surgery. Back to ICU three different times, 21 pints of blood and 20 days in the hospital. I was just proud to get to go home. I had got depressed after watching people 20 years older than me that had AVR and go home in 5 days.

Hope things go well for you.

Man I know what you mean. I spent 50 days in CSICU and another 10 in physical rehab learning to walk and write again. I watched quite a few people come down from surgery, walk the next day and going home while laying there. :(

Seth,

Sorry to hear what you are going through with the valve noise. I did not have the sternum-pounding you have expressed but have had a rather noisy valve. It sure can be irritating at times, but beats the alternative. I am a thin specimen too and weigh 168 at 6"1".

Good news: My valve did noticeably quite down about 14 months out from my surgery. I think this may be due to tissue knitting back together (just a theory). My wife tuned the noise out a long time ago and has never complained. My dog doesn't seem to mind either.

Hang in there.

Mark

CT Scan

CT Scan

My issue isn't about valve noise, it's about the constant pounding against my sternum and the vibrations through my bones. My surgeon said the condition I have sometimes happens with thin patients (i.e. small chest cavity).

I'm posting a CT scan image taken after my surgery, it's a top view looking down. The distance from my sternum to my mechanical aortic valve is 2.7cm. The total distance from my spine to my sternum measures 10.3cm. If you look at these measurements on a ruler they are very small. I don't know what is typical or common.

I'm wondering what measurements those of you on VR.com have, and if you have the pounding against your sternum. If you have CT scans and can measure from sternum to aortic valve, and from spine to sternum, will you please share them with me. You can either post here or PM me. I'll also post this in a new thread since this is buried kind-of deep in this one. Thanks so much.

0023_blank.jpg

Latest posts

Back