update on surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maisiejane

Hi all, just a quick update as you know I originally went in for my AVR on 5th Jan and unfortunately developed an abscess, so went in again on Tuesday for my op to be performed on Wednesday and sadly it was cancelled again as some poor soul had to have a heart transplant, they kept me in hospital and I was due to go down for surgery at 2.00pm today and an emergency lung transplant had to take my slot. I am not upset by this as I feel that their surgeries are a bigger priority than mine. My surgeon said I could go back in on Monday but he couldn't guarantee that slot either as he is the main guy for transplant so he has said if I could wait until 17th he will ensure that my surgery is completed. So there it is at least I get another week at home with my family, unlike the poor people who have lost loved ones to enable the donations of organs.
Deb xxx

Deb, you have been through the wringer waiting for your replacement! I'm glad that you have such a good attitude about it; that will go a long way towards minimizing your stress levels when the time arrives for the surgery. Best wishes going forward and please let us know if you go with the scheduled 17th.

Deb I am so sorry, I know how frustrating it is for surgery to keep getting postponed and months go by. One time after Justin's surgery was postponed so many times we went to a different surgeon/hospital. Its good to go to centers that handle traumas and transplants, but it stinks to be postponed..Altho to be fair, several times Justin WAS the person bumping other kids because he was the ER case.

..........as he is the main guy for transplant....
Deb xxx

Like Neil says.."you are one tough cookie", but at least you know you're getting a real pro to do your surgery.

I talked with the fella who did mine a few years ago and I asked him if he was still doing valve replacements. He said "no, he had graduated to heart and heart/lung transplants and left the simpler valve jobs up to the junior surgeons."....When I talked with him in 2010, he was Chief of Cardiothoracic Surgery at
Baylor Univ. It pays to have a talented surgeon. He was a chief resident and not much older than I was when he did mine and obviously has a lot a talent. You're fortunate to get such a talented surgeon.

Thank you to you all, I do try to be positive, moaning and complaining outwardly isn't my style, but I do have little moments, coz I am only human, and indulge in a small amount of self pity. ☺
But I do believe when the time is right I will get my surgery, good job it didn't happen this week as I have now got a cold, probably from hanging around all those poorly people at the hospital lol
Deb xxx

And you're unlikely to get another cold after this one Deb !

I'm not surprised you have some "little moments" - you've had to put up with a lot. 4th time lucky this time :)
Anne
xx

Latest posts

Back