Undergoing AVR on Monday, December 19th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan1948

All systems are ‘go’ for my open heart surgery on Monday morning, Dec. 19th to replace my aortic valve and ascending aorta.

I had my pre-op last Tuesday and received a tour of the operating room, CVRU, and a private room. A cardiac nurse sat with me for about an hour going over what will be taking place during my stay. Additional tests were performed, and I was sent home to wait for the 19th. Last Wednesday, I finally decided to see a doctor to get some medication for anxiety. I gave it a trial run last night, and it works like a charm.

I have to arrive at CMC in Charlotte by 5 am. They should begin prepping me between 6 & 6:30; the surgery will start at about 8 am and is expected to take about 5 hours if there are no complications. I will be in CMC’s CVRU (ICU) for at least two days. Then I’ll be moved to a private room in what they call “6th tower”. It is estimated that I will be at CMC for 5-7 days if there are no complications, so I’m hoping to home by Christmas Day or the day after.

I have done everything I can think of to prepare for the before/after surgery needs. I’m in a good state of mind, and I have full confidence in my surgeon, Dr. Mark Stiegel of Sanger Heart and in CMC. I have the support of family and friends. But when all is said and done, I’m ultimately in God’s hands, no matter which way it goes, but will certainly appreciate any and all prayers. Please pray for my family, too.

Will try to post updates as soon as I can.

Happy Holidays!

Good luck for monday, hope everything goes well for you :)
Will be thinking of you :) xxxx

You are the exact age I was when I had my aortic root and valve replaced. I had a Medtronics Freestyle root and valve replacement (porcine). Sounds like our pathways are similar -- I am doing fine almost 7 years later, and I am confident you will do well, too. My surgery lasted 5 hours and I was in the hospital 5 days, so it seems 5 is the magic number. Home for Christmas is the mantra!

One piece of advice I took was to take the pain medicine BEFORE experiencing pain, so when the nurses offered it, I took it, and indeed had very little pain.

Am sending my prayers and best wishes to you. Godspeed!

Sending prayers your way, you will do fine, after it is done and you are recovering, you will have a lot to be THANKFUL for, just like everyone on here has to be THANKFUL, and THANKFUL that we live in America take care GOD BLESS

You seem to be ready to go! Expect it to be routine and successful.

For reference - what antianxiety drug did you get that is working so well?

Bill, I'm taking between 0.25 and 0.5 mg of Clonazepam. It's fast-acting. 0.25 in am; again in afternoon, if needed, and 0.5 at bedtime. I got it mainly to help me sleep. I've only been able to sleep sitting upright on the sofa in front of the TV. If I tried to sleep in bed, I tossed and turned thinking about the upcoming surgery. The 0.25 dosage just takes the 'edge' of the anxiety; used it twice since filled, but have been using the 0.5 at bedtime for the past several nights. I'm 'out' within 10-15 minutes, so I don't know if I would want to try that dosage during the daytime. During the day, I've been keeping busy with hospital preparations (before/after) and with getting the house ready for Christmas. It's helped me keep my mind off the upcoming surgery to a large degree. Happy Holidays.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way. You will be in fine hands with everyone there. I will be up there on Thrusday morning for my 6 month check up @ Sanger -if you would like I will stop by and say hello for a minute.

Back