Trouble Eating?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bumtickerj

Hey guys,
I've lurked around for about a month or so, had my PVR 7/30/10. Got out of the hospital on 8/5/10.

Question for you all, I haven't been able to eat sold meals, or really drink consistently since the surgery. Whenever I swallow stuff, I get an intense pain/pressure build up in my lower abdomen which buuilds p as heart burn/pressure in my chest.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Thanks.

I had horrible heart burn. In the hospital I vomited quite often with taking the potassium. For me proposed first thing in the morning on an empty stomach covers me all day. Call your doc first and make sure it doesn't interfere with anything you are taking. I didn't eat a full meal until Wednesday, I had surgery on 7/26.

I had horrible heart burn. In the hospital I vomited quite often with taking the potassium. For me proposed first thing in the morning on an empty stomach covers me all day. Call your doc first and make sure it doesn't interfere with anything you are taking. I didn't eat a full meal until Wednesday, I had surgery on 7/26.

I've stopped taking the potassium due to the terrible heart burn it gave me, but the pain/pressure I'm describing is not caused by it, but by anything entering my stomach, liquid or solid; I assume from the expansion of my stomach and how it affects the rest of my chest cavity.

I think you left out a word in your post, perhaps something about an anti-acid?

I was on Prevacid for about a month after surgery. You might also try Gas-X if it's not heartburn. You should check with your doctor first though to make sure it's not fluid buildup.

If you were prescribed Potassium by your doctor, you must take it. I am assuming that you are on Lasix. If so, Lasix washes potassium out of your system and it has to be replaced. Do not adjust your potassium without running it by your doctor. It is vitally important to your health. Call your doctor asap. You should be speaking with the doctor about your gastric problems also.

I'm guessing you were given liquid potassium? If so, and it's bothering you, call doctor now and get an Rx for pills and you shouldn't have a problem. I have to echo what Nancy said. If you're taking Lasix and were prescribed potassium, if you don't take it, it's not good, and you could get a serious arrhythmia.

I'm also concerned you're having problems eating solid food a good week after surgery. Did this just start since being home or did you have it in the hospital, too. Your doctor needs to know about this, too. Call now.

Nancy and Luana are correct. When the hospital gave me Lasix WITHOUT potassium, I woke up in the middle
of the night with SVT and a HR of 170, which they corrected with Sotalol. Then I couldn't swallow the huge potassium
pills, so I got the nasty liquid. Nurse gave it to me in a shot glass and ordered me to shoot it down. NASTY stuff.

I'm going to try and play nice.

I stopped taking the potassium b/c of the severe discomfort, I'm only on it for 7 days in conjunction with Lasix. However, I don't have any fluid buildup nor is Lasix making me drop much weight/fluid at all. I understand how potassium affects the heart and have it somewhat regulated with my fluid intake. As for arrhythmias, taken care of by an AICD. Anyway, my cardiologist is fine by it, checked my bloodwork, and has kept a close eye on me because of it

The point of my original post was questioning the lack of appetite and tightness in the chest when swallowing anything, rather than discussing Lasix and Potassium. Still wondering if people had similar issues, regardless of the potassium burn.

The point of my original post was questioning the lack of appetite and tightness in the chest when swallowing anything, rather than discussing Lasix and Potassium. Still wondering if people had similar issues, regardless of the potassium burn.

Explain "lack of appetite." Many people have that post-op. I did -- I lost about 24-26 pounds within 3-4 weeks. But I didn't have any tightness in the chest.

Did you have any digestive problems pre-op? Your problem may or may not be related to your surgery.
A friend had problems somewhat similar to what you describe, and it was a stenotic pyloric valve. However, her condition came on over a period of time. In time, she required surgery because she was unable to keep food down.

When I had pericardial effusion, it felt like something in my abdomen pressing up, but was actually the fluid around my heart pressing my diaphragm. That description of yours combined with the fact that the lasix is not causing weight loss makes me wonder.
Bottom line, I agree with those who say get checked out.

Let us know what you find out.

I would echo the others in contact your doctor. I had problems eating totally separate from potassium. I was retaining a lot of fluid in my abdomen which caused huge problems with eating. Lasix makes me sick if I take more than 40 mg / day and at that amount was not getting rid of any fluid. I would waver between 20 and 25 lbs above my normal weight while on it. Finally after trying multiple drugs I take 40mg of lasix along with metolazone and I just barely keep my fluid retention under control.

Latest posts

Back