Trembling hands

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffM

I'm hoping this is due to my medications and not a permanent byproduct of surgery. I notice it most when trying to write or when doing anything that requires some precise manual dexterity. I'm taking Amiodarone, Coumadin, Metopralol and a beta blocker. I did read that this can be a not so common side effect of Amiodarone. Has anyone experienced it? If so, have you been able to identify the cause?

This would be a Good Question for your Cardiologist AND your Surgeon.
Have you call their offices to pose that question?

I don't know if this is any help, but my chiropractor told me that my aching (not trembling) hands post surgery might very well have been due to the action of splaying my chest back during the surgery and thus misaligning or messing with the backbone and all the cushioning agents. I wonder if you have a pinched nerve in that area of your back. I'm assuming you had the full sternotomy. I actually just learned this, almost 3 years post-op. Hadn't had the guts to see a chiropratctor until now, and then of course the "new way" of adjusting is not to sit on top of the patient and crack their back forcefully, but rather a much much gentler way. Anyway, his mother had had AVR so we got to talking and when I mentioned that my back never hurt me after the surgery (and so many here have troubles in their backs or shoulders) but that my hands were weak and aching....he suggested that it was my back which was probably out which contributed to that. Lasted a good 3 months or more, too. Should have gone to see him sooner!!

Either way, if it were me I would definitely call the surgeon. It could even be as simple as anemia....low iron..... He would know best, at least to start with.

Please keep us posted.

Best wishes.

Marguerite

I seem to recall my hands shaking for several months post op...I also was on amiodorone and don't know if that was the cause of the shaking or not, but it is no longer an issue at almost 7 months post op.

Kim

I did have alot of strange symptoms post op,mostly numbness and aches,
but I was not on Amiodarone. I believe that tremor is a common side effect
with this medication along with poor coordination,involuntary movements,and
paresthesias(numbness/tingling).
BTW I think the name of the type of tremor you described is called "intention tremor".
It may be a good Idea to ask about it anyway though.
Hope you feel better soon,Dina

Going to see my cardiologist tomorrow. But I have received such good information and insights on ValeReplacements.com, I wanted to run it by you guys. Thanks.

It may be a temporary thing from the surgery or it may just be a coincidence that it is occurring at this time.

I have had increased episodes of tremor especially in my dominant hand and if it had started shortly after my surgery I would certainly have thought it was related to that. I was initially fearful because my Aunt has Parkinsons. Mine is Essential Tremor and not related to anything other than poor genetics and advancing age...lol...

Hope you get a similar benign diagnosis.

Had my surgery 5 yrs. ago, and noticed trimmers in my right hand when I tried to write after surgery. Talked to my doctors and none of them had any reason for it other than being on the heart lung machine during surgery. I also take coumadin but none of the other drugs you mention. I was a draftsman with very good printing skills, and today you cant hardly read my writing. That is the only lasting affect from my surgery, so I guess that is a small problem compared to the alternative.....

Like Aussiegal I had a more noticeable tremor after surgery. Mine is an essential tremor also and, for some reason, Brigham and Women's never remembered to give me the meds prescribed for it- so I could hardly sign my name when I left! That improved!!! Being without my meds and the physical stress of the surgery wasn't a good combination for me for that short time.

I'm hoping this is due to my medications and not a permanent byproduct of surgery. I notice it most when trying to write or when doing anything that requires some precise manual dexterity. I'm taking Amiodarone, Coumadin, Metopralol and a beta blocker. I did read that this can be a not so common side effect of Amiodarone. Has anyone experienced it? If so, have you been able to identify the cause?

ask your cardio about amiodarone. also search amiodarone on the net.

Saw my cardiologist. I had read trembling hands is one of the less common side effects of amiodarone but didn't want to bias her assessment. The first thing she said was, "I think it's the amiodarone". She cut my dose from 200 mg to 100mg, which was fine with me. It's only been 5 days and I know it stays in the system for a long time, but I notice a difference already. YES! Thanks everyone.

my brother was put on amiodarone and accidentally left on it for 14 months. he was supposed to be left on it for about six weeks so an ablation could be done. when it was discovered in the hospital, we were told it was likehe was taking a dose of poison every day. they forgot about him; he fell through the cracks. he was later dxed as having nonclassical parkinson's. had it for the rest of his life. I am so glad your doctor is monitoring. be sure to keep her following it.

we have discussed amiodarone many times here in vr and if you search 'amiodarone' you will find them.

WOW! I knew that tremor was a semi-common effect but I didn't know
that if left unchecked it would become irreversible. Though intentional
tremor,and action tremors(which include essential) can be an extra-
pyramidal symptom which is also a symptom of Parkinsons so it does tie in.
It is truly upsetting when a patient is not forewarned of irreversible effects.

JeffM -I am glad it's a side effect and your cardio decreased the dose:)

Very sorry and disturbed to hear about your brother Ann. Amiodarone is a very dangerous drug and the longer one takes it the greater the odds of developing problems associated with it. It seems irresponsible for medical professionals to be so lax.

Saw my cardiologist. I had read trembling hands is one of the less common side effects of amiodarone but didn't want to bias her assessment. The first thing she said was, "I think it's the amiodarone". She cut my dose from 200 mg to 100mg, which was fine with me. It's only been 5 days and I know it stays in the system for a long time, but I notice a difference already. YES! Thanks everyone.

Good news, Jeff:)

Latest posts

Back