Tobagotwo's Surgery Over

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobagotwo

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hello everyone.

This is Eric, Bob's son. He has asked that we update you on his current progress. He is through the operation and all has gone well. The surgeon said a "film" had formed on 2 of the 3 leaflets causing them to open much less than designed and the 3rd leaflet was split. The film he referenced on the 2 leaflets is being analyzed - we don't know what that was at this point. The surgeon took a picture of the valve and also had the lab take a more detailed bird's eye view of it. We hope to see those pictures over the next few days as that would be pretty interesting. In any case, the description of the valve's condition certainly underlined the necessity and timeliness of this second AVR.

After they replaced the valve and got him "running" again, he so far has normal sinus rhythm (afib gone) and appears in very good shape. Although I would believe it much too early to tell, it appears some of the other issues he was seeing in his last echo (ex. regurgitation) may now be reduced or gone. He is off the ventilator and seems fine, albeit in pain from the procedure, and has already put us to work trying to steal extra ice chips when the nurse isn't looking :). I wouldn't be surprised if we had him home at week's end.

Thank you all for your kind wishes and support and we will be sure to update you should anything arise, however in all likelihood, the next post will be one from him.

Hi Eric,
Thank you so much for posting the update on your dad. I was SO happy to see this post. Please tell your dad that prayers are continuing for a smooth recovery.

I am delighted to see this post right before bedtime. Sending prayers and best wishes for a smooth uncomplicated recovery. Looking forward to hearing from you Bob. Blessings.

Hi Bob, Hope all went well today, Good luck and have a speedy recovery. God bless.

I came on tonight hoping to see this post! thanks Eric for taking the time, and best wishes for a smooth recovery, and hoping that he's soon harrassing the nurses under his own steam :D

So glad to see this update. Good thing you had the surgery now. It sounds like there were several things compromising your valve.

Saying prayers that this is the end of your valve problems.

Thanks so much for the update Eric and so glad to hear your dad is now in recovery mode. What an ordeal -- bet your dad gets to the bottom of it real soon. The "film" is interesting....along with the "split" leaflet.

A little extra ice chips never hurt anybody..:D

Thanks Eric,
That's the kind of news we wanted to hear.
If the docs can't figure out what happened to the valve, I'm sure Bob will.
Give your dad my best for a speedy and uneventful recovery.
Rich

Thank you, Eric. Very interesting about that "film". I'm sure your father will be "all over that"!! Do hope that it was just the valve that was causing all the trouble.

We'll want to know what he has replaced it with! I'm sure he'll be around soon to fill us in.

Sending huge best wishes your way, Bob.

Marguerite

Way to go Bob! I guess a 2nd OHS is like riding a bike. Or wait...is it like falling off a horse? Oh yeah...it's like getting hit by a truck...again. I'm glad to hear you are already off of the ventilator and feeling ornery...that is a good sign. Thanks much for your update Eric! As far as having "film" on your leaflets and one split already I don't know what to think of that, but I'm sure you will find out soon enough.

Thanks for giving us a same-day report, Eric. We worry. Delighted that all seems to be going well, and we look forward to a full report from your dad when he feels up to it. Sending him all best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Thank-you Eric for letting us know...God Bless and pass a hello
continued prayers keep goin

This is certainly a great way to end the day! :)

I pray that your dad continues to progress nicely & please keep us informed. We look forward to hearing from Bob when he's up to it!

Rest up!

Eric I just got on after I got home from work tonight and was shocked to hear about Bob having surgery. I'm so sorry I didn't know sooner. I guess I just missed that thread but it sounds like a lot of people did. Mary e-mailed me about it. Be sure and tell him he will continue to be in my prayers and thanks for the good news. He's such a special person and I love reading his posts.

Latest posts

Back