Thought this was interesting...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Now that i am a member of the Aortic valve replacement club....things seem to catch my eye.....I saw this and realized I had never heard this about Bobby Darin......
"In 1973, Bobby Darin's ill health took a turn for the worse. After failing to take medication (prescribed to protect his heart) before a dental visit, he developed blood poisoning. This weakened his body and badly affected one of his heart valves. On December 11, Darin entered Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles for surgery to repair the two artificial heart valves he received in the previous 1971 operation. On December 19, the surgery began. A five-man surgical team worked for over six hours to repair his damaged heart. However, although the surgery was initially successful, Darin died minutes afterward in the recovery room without regaining consciousness on December 20, 1973, at age 37."

I am glad we all are on top of our conditions and stay educated about our hearts.
Lots of Warm heartfelt hugs to all my VR family........Michael

"Mack the Knife," Bobby Darin? Wow, had no idea. So he didn't take antibiotics before a dental visit, got endocarditis, and died shortly after surgery. How sad.

Thanks Michael. I knew he died from some heart problem, but not exactly what.

How are you feeling this weekend? Getting ready to dance yet? I did a bit last night. Nice to get out and move about. Everyone knew if I had problems they were to send me to the Clevealnd Clinic! LOL I am making sure I don't overdo any of my activities at this point.

I hope you are feeling better each day. Pat

The assumption was made that the "unprotected" dental visit caused the infective endocarditis because that was the prevailing belief at the time. That belief has not been borne out when put to the test.

Best wishes,

The assumption was made that the "unprotected" dental visit caused the infective endocarditis because that was the prevailing belief at the time. That belief has not been borne out when put to the test.

Best wishes,

Huh? He had rheumatic fever as a kid (which predisposed him to endocarditis) and he had already had valve surgery. So what caused the blood posioning and need for another valve surgery?

Oh, and the last hypertensive medication I was on had "upper respiratory infections" listed as one of the side effects. I was on it for a few years before that issue cumulatively developed but I had six sinus infections in about a year before I realized (because my wonderful pharmacist drew my attention to it) that my bp med was contributing to, or even causing, them.

Many things could cause BE, including a simple sinus infection.

Indeed. I had BE long before VR and it had no connection with a dental visit. I had a heart murmur from rheumatic fever and knew to be careful of it. Out of the blue, started running a fever, no previous cold, flu, sinus, anything, and nothing else going on but the fever. I couldn't get a doctor to listen to me about the BE; they all but laughed.

I randomly found this post from last year and just wanted to correct it. The reason Bobby D had problems was that a clot formed on his mech valve because he decided to stop taking warfarin. This was also made more complicated because of his failure to take antibiotics before his dental work causing sepsis. So a lesson to all- keep on track with your medication and hopefully we will all be fine. There must be lots of young people out there who don't really think about the consequences of not keeping up with what their cardios say. I know I would have been one of those people a few years ago. That is why sites like this are so important in educating people about such matters. Unfortunately most of the 200,000 annual valve replacement patients don't to see this site.

I randomly found this post from last year and just wanted to correct it. The reason Bobby D had problems was that a clot formed on his mech valve because he decided to stop taking warfarin. This was also made more complicated because of his failure to take antibiotics before his dental work causing sepsis. So a lesson to all- keep on track with your medication and hopefully we will all be fine. There must be lots of young people out there who don't really think about the consequences of not keeping up with what their cardios say. I know I would have been one of those people a few years ago. That is why sites like this are so important in educating people about such matters. Unfortunately most of the 200,000 annual valve replacement patients don't to see this site.

Interesting post. I did not realize that Bobby Darin had had valve surgery. I understand how this could have happened back then. The medical profession did a very poor job of education patients, in the early days, of the need to take Coumadin/warfarin as prescribed and routinely test. I was not even made aware that I would be on the drug for my lifetime until the day I was released from the hospital post surgery. I also had a stroke about that time (1974) when I went on a vacation....for several days....without my coumadin/warfarin. VERY BAD IDEA. BTW, I have gone since 1974 with absolutely no problem with warfarin and I do it simply by "taking the drug as prescribed and INR testing routinely". I also understand his lack of using anti-biotics prior to dental visits. While I was told to take good care of my teeth, the need to take anti-biotics was not stressed until the late 1970s, or early '80s as I recall. That early ignorance of warfarin by patients AND doctors probably has had a lot to do with the rumor and myth that still exists.

Thanks for draggin' this old post out. Without a doubt, the need to "take warfarin as prescribed and test routinely" is the single most important issue with ACT.

Interesting post. I did not realize that Bobby Darin had had valve surgery. I understand how this could have happened back then. The medical profession did a very poor job of education patients, in the early days, of the need to take Coumadin/warfarin as prescribed and routinely test. I was not even made aware that I would be on the drug for my lifetime until the day I was released from the hospital post surgery. I also had a stroke about that time (1974) when I went on a vacation....for several days....without my coumadin/warfarin. VERY BAD IDEA. BTW, I have gone since 1974 with absolutely no problem with warfarin and I do it simply by "taking the drug as prescribed and INR testing routinely". I also understand his lack of using anti-biotics prior to dental visits. While I was told to take good care of my teeth, the need to take anti-biotics was not stressed until the late 1970s, or early '80s as I recall. That early ignorance of warfarin by patients AND doctors probably has had a lot to do with the rumor and myth that still exists.

Thanks for draggin' this old post out. Without a doubt, the need to "take warfarin as prescribed and test routinely" is the single most important issue with ACT.

About a year ago I remember searching out celebrities that have had OHS. When I found out Bobby had surgery I was amazed, send me a dream lover so I don't have to dream alone!

Latest posts

Back