This swollen abdomen!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm a week and a day out of heart surgery, and I'm starting to feel a bit better. But I've got this swollen abdomen, and for a fit 23-year old, this is very disconcerting!

did you all have swollen abdomens? if so, how long did it take to go away?

help! thanks!

It could be a couple things, have you had it the whole time postop? Also have you had any problems going to the bathroom? Also are you weighing yourself every day?

It's hard to make any suggestions over the Internet because we cannot tell just how much your abdomen is swollen.

Are you on Coumadin?

I think you should call your surgeon and ask him about this. It could be many things, fluid is the number one culprit, and if that is what it is, then diuretics will usually take care of it, but you'll need to be diagnosed and get a prescription if needed.

But you also want to rule out the most sinister thing and that would be an area of internal bleeding, so that is why you should call your surgeon. And you should do that tomorrow morning, and if he doesn't get back to you, you should call your regular doctor asap.

If it is getting bad, I think you should go to the ER.

At any rate don't let this go over the weekend.

I gained 20 lbs in the hospital, mostly in my stomach. All went away within 3-4 weeks and I actually ending up losing 20 lbs from normal weight. That was good.

A Swollen Abdomen is one of those things that qualifies under the famous VR.com slogan:
"When in Doubt, Check it Out!"

There are MANY possible causes of such a condition,
including Diverticulitis (Don't Ask!)

'AL C'

I hope you called the doctor by now, it can be a number of things as stated by others. I was swollen with 27 liters of water in the hospital, and most of it was gone when I was released. I was on lasix for 1 month at home for the remaining. The rest decided to stay on as pericarditis....call the doc!

Linda

Thanks for all the advice — apparently it's just part of healing, and it's starting to go down a little bit. But it's good to know all the possibilities, and I appreciate it!

Back