things changing

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredTickerInTx

Right now I am scheduled for surgery on December 7. I was wanting to get that good old Turkey Day feast before doing this. Now I am trying to get this procedure moved up a week or so if possible as I am starting to feel more and more crappy all the time.I am having a very hard time catching my breath and feel so tired all the time. My wife says my color does not look good and I am really starting to get a lot of anxiety. Not so much anxious about surgery as about how I feel. Getting a good nights sleep has been few and far between. Not getting much more than 4 - 5 hours a night. I wake up with breathing difficulties and it takes a good hour to be able to really catch my breath. I sure hope that I will notice a BIG change after this is all said and done.
I'm just hoping that these are pre surgery reactions and not anything major to where I need to have something done over the Holiday weekend. You don't always have you regular doctors and staff during these times, and I want MY doctor dang it. We are working to see if there is an opportunity to move this surgery up a little. I am just ready for it to be done. The waiting seems to be the most stressful.

Well here is wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving.
We all know there is so much and so many to be thankful for.
I want to thank you all for making this forum possible, as it helps so many who are lost and don't always know where to turn.

Thank You
Kevin

Have you called your surgeon about your recent symptoms? You may want to give him a call, and see what he thinks.

Hi Kevin ~~ Oh boy can I relate to your symptoms. I had blue fingernails and was gray as a ghost..:eek:...and not a lot of sleep. From that time to surgery was just over a week, so I'd say you're sure close.

Enjoy Thanksgiving if you can and look forward to next week..!

Well I got the surgery moved up to December 1st. Phew that saves me a week of wonder and worry. Go in tomorrow for blood work, more x-rays and general prep stuff. Bina, fortunately I do have a small supply of Xanax for those real unbearable times. I have a feeling that those times may be a little more prevalent this coming weekend.
So 7:30 a.m. on Dec. 1st I will be getting an early Christmas present consisting of a new valve and aorta.:D This works out well as I'll be home for Thanksgiving AND I should be home and feeling a lot better by Christmas. Keeping my fingers crossed as it seems I usually end up spending more time in the hospital than average.

Kevin

Exactly how I felt in the last few weeks before my surgery. For some of us, our body sure does tell us when it's Time. Glad you were able to move things up. This can help leave you in better condition for the next holidays.

Be well,

December 1 sounds really good. You don't want to be in the hospital over the holiday weekend unless you have to.
Boy, do I remember the lack of sleep, inability to speak a complete sentence without gasping for air, and all that...Blech.

I'm glad you got moved up!

As hard as it may seem try to enjoy the holiday. Next week will be here before you know it and, as you know intellectually, you can't change anything by worrying about it. But the suggestion about a low dose tranq is a good one. Have a happy T-day.

Kevin, I second everyone else in saying that I am glad that you were able to get the surgery moved up. Less time to worry is good and now you will be able to enjoy Thanksgiving knowing that you won't have to wait as long, and by Christmas you will be in great shape too (just watch the heavy lifting!). Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth, bump-free recovery!

Nadine

Kevin -

"Just In Case" things get worse over the next few days and your symptoms become even more severe, please DO go to the ER at your Surgery Hospital.

Hopefully they will be able to stabilize you and they may put in a "Balloon Pump" to help your heart carry the load until your surgery on Tuesday. Such measures have helped more than one of our members.

I hate to bring this up, but we have an old saying on VR.com that goes:

"The Worse Things Get, the Faster they get Worse"

This seems to be especially true for the Aortic Valve
so do NOT ignore worsening symptoms.

Wishing you the Best,

'AL Capshaw'

Good luck on getting past this. I have been thinking about making the same call. Like you I am thinking that I may be getting worse just because it is what I am focusing on. Who cares if it is larger because of it being in the head the problem is still there.

Ditto what Al said. You don't want to wake up not breathing five days away from getting the thing fixed. Don't hesitate getting yourself to the ER. This is not a good time to try and tough it out.

Kevin, glad to see you were able to move things up a week. You sound a lot like me during the weeks before my AVR. I felt pretty good in June, less well in July, bad in August and really crappy in September. Once a valve begins to fail it can go pretty fast. So, as the others have said, watch yourself and don't wait to go to the ER until you are in extremis. Tuesdays seem to be a good day for surgery.

Larry

Thanks everyone

Believe me, I have no problem dashing off to the ER if things get too scary. Plus my wife is all over me like flies on.... well you know. One bad thing about living in the Austin area is the whole allergy thing. It sure doesn't help with any breathing issues. Had a good night last night and a good day today. As long as nothing gets any worse over the next few days I think all will be O.K.
Looking forward to a nice relaxing Holiday weekend and hoping the same for all of you.
Happy Thanksgiving
Kevin

Latest posts

Back