"the shave"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't think they shaved my chest at all (BAVR surgery)...looking at my 3 week post-op scar that Jefff posted for me under the forum "The order of the Tawdry Shirt (Toots)", maybe I wasn't considered "hairy" enough...must depend on surgeon's preference. IMHO, I think it is best left in their hands to what they want to shave or not shave...

Scott

Hi, Ovie, first of all in the US it much less likely that your skin will be shaved. It will be clipped close to the skin. Most hospitals now avoid shaving to prevent small cuts in the skin that could expose one to bacterial infections. As for how much hair loss, I can only tell you what my surgeon required. Facial hair was no problem although I did clip my beard short before surgery. The hair on my chest between my nipples and between my belly button and clavicle was clipped very close - nothing else. If it is anticipated that a person must also have bypass surgery, the hair on the insides of the legs will be removed to allow for harvesting veins for the grafts.

As for how the clipping was done, I can only say that it was the best part of the day. The two aids sent to prepare my chest were among the funniest people I've met. They turned a possibly awkward citation into a comic routine that left me feeling less anxious and smiling as another aid came to take me to the operating room.

Larry

Last edited:
What are group's thoughts on clipping everything yourself? I use clippers for my head monthly and feel pretty comfortable using them.
Also, I am a fairly furry beast, if you will, and I would much rather be in control of my own shaving/clipping and do it at home.

Perhaps, I should consult with the surgeon.

What are group's thoughts on clipping everything yourself? I use clippers for my head monthly and feel pretty comfortable using them.
Also, I am a fairly furry beast, if you will, and I would much rather be in control of my own shaving/clipping and do it at home.

The prep guy or girl will check you anyway ... why bother ... it's not going to save you a bucks ..............

I've read here a number of times where the hospital/surgeon specifically gave instructions to not clip or shave yourself. They are very concerned with skin condition and will do a full skin check to be sure you have no open cuts where bacteria could enter and set up infection. Let the hospital take care of all pre op needs. IMO

I always say that I suffered more the day before surgery than on recovery, all due to the shaving process. I am not very hairy, but extremely ticklish. Two nurses (girls) came to shave my wrists, part of the inner thighs and armpits. I simply could not stop laughing, and my wife had to help them hold me still. They said they had never seen anything like it before and seemed to have a good time "torturing" me... All went well though, electric shaver, nobody killed...

I hope the nurses were cute :angel:

I was thinking that shaving myself would simplify things for people. I will ask the surgeon next week what he thinks on the subject. I think shaving/clipping the forearm/arm hair would be a must for me.

They shaved everything but my head, even the toes. My wife was cracking up, they thought we were nuts. The floor looked like someone slaughtered a herd of chia pets.:angel:

I was digging tape residue out of my arm hair for weeks!
I spent ages trying to deal with that until my sister (a nurse) gave me a bottle of something like this:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=hwNHT9inGeeeiQLI9JDaDQ&ved=0CJUBEPMCMAM

I highly recommend something like it if you are having OHS. I don't think it matters what brand or where you get it. We just end up with so many lines and things taped into us that there is no other practical way to deal with it. Takes just minutes with the right stuff, weeks otherwise!

I spent ages trying to deal with that until my sister (a nurse) gave me a bottle of something like this:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=hwNHT9inGeeeiQLI9JDaDQ&ved=0CJUBEPMCMAM

I highly recommend something like it if you are having OHS. I don't think it matters what brand or where you get it. We just end up with so many lines and things taped into us that there is no other practical way to deal with it. Takes just minutes with the right stuff, weeks otherwise!

My visiting nurse left me some wet wipes that had the correct fluid on them, and it took off that tape residue in minutes. That was a huge relief, since the residue was quite itchy.

You know, I've always thought that there were probably some extremely valuable pieces of information that I missed out on by not joining here until well after my surgery, and I was right. Thanks for the great tape residue tips everyone. I tell you what, I'm sure there's a very good reason they use the type of tape they do (cost?), but there sure are better alternatives. I have two adhesive patch medical devices (insulin infusion set and glucose sensor) attached to me 24/7...they stay stuck for days, they peel right off, breathable, sterile, no pain, no residue, nothing, even with lots of hair. Available in rolls too, so maybe I'll just try bringing my own next time...

You know, I've always thought that there were probably some extremely valuable pieces of information that I missed out on by not joining here until well after my surgery, and I was right. Thanks for the great tape residue tips everyone. I tell you what, I'm sure there's a very good reason they use the type of tape they do (cost?), but there sure are better alternatives. I have two adhesive patch medical devices (insulin infusion set and glucose sensor) attached to me 24/7...they stay stuck for days, they peel right off, breathable, sterile, no pain, no residue, nothing, even with lots of hair. Available in rolls too, so maybe I'll just try bringing my own next time...

Often if you ask while in patient they probably have the sol wipes, and will give you some extra to take home, for some reason many dont think about them, even tho you can use them on the tape to help remove it with no pain. Last i looked them (the orange sol ones) they carry them in some drug stores that also are medical supply stores.

Speaking of other things, i dont have an insulin pump but i have an implanted spinal stimulator (broken) for pain, that I had to tape the transmittor over the unit everyday. I had these wipes that protected the skin, since you had to tape it in the same place (and take it off )everyday for years. Sometimes when people had to wear the 30 day monitor or even shorter time holter monitor and were having reaction to the electrodes i mentioned the wipes ( and told them to ask if it would interfer with their tests) and they made a huge difference http://www.soymedical.com/up220.html

As EL has suggested, there's tape and there's tape! My skin isn't unusually delicate, and I was fine with all the tape at the hospital. But the stuff my Cardiologist's office used for my last Holter was VICIOUS! I tried several tricks (incl baby oil) and I STILL lost a few small pieces of skin! And some of the skin that held on was very irritated.

I wish I knew how to recognize the nasty tape BEFOREhand...

Back