The mystery of the bone graft solved. (and my post op trip to Duke)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangebrittainy

Alright, so the doctor that told me it was a bone graft had no clue what she was talking about. My surgeon told me it was where they put the heart lung machine in so they could do the repairs to my Ascending Aorta. Its getting a little better everyday but he said if it keeps bothering me, to call and he'd help me set up some physical therapy for it.

My Post-Op appointment went GREAT. My EKG and X-Ray according to the surgeon were Perfect, and both were better than expected. My blood work was great, my Iron levels are increasing (still taking Iron pills though) My INR was 2.3. he said Ideally he wants me between 2.5-3 for the first 3 months, then I could go to 2.0-2.5. but he wasn't worried about a 2.3 yesterday.

So far I am on track to return to work Nov 10. He said, if I don't feel ready though to call and he will change it. He has a two year old and he said he has a hard time picturing me working with 3 year old children right now.

My Primary Physician had my INR all wrong she had me aiming for 3-3.5. My surgeon was upset because he had spoken to her directly about it. I guess if he wanted me that high I would be on a higher dosage. Anyways I wrote it down and will be correcting her next time I go in. She is usually really good about this kind of thing, so I am wondering what exactly happened there.

Over all I am pleased. I go back in 6 months, and after that yearly so he can keep an eye on the repairs. He is letting my cardiologist take the reigns from here.

Wonderful news. Thanks for clearing up the confusion about the bone graft.

Hope you continue to improve steadily.

I'm glad things are looking so good. That makes perfect sense about that spot being used for the bypass machine and how it bothers your arm/hand. They used Justin's femeral for one of his surgeries and had weird feeling pain and numbness in his thigh for a while as everything healed.

Last edited:
Brittiany, I'm glad your appt. went well today. I'm also glad to hear you got answers to your "bone graft" questions!!! Keep up the good work.

Kim

Latest posts

Back