The Common Cold After OHS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake

Simple question:

How concerned about contracting the common cold should one be 8 weeks post-op after an aortic repair? The coughing and sneezing can be a risk for the mechanical aspect of any OHS, what of the cold virus itself.

Being pretty in touch with my body, I can feel that cold is coming on with the runny nose, cough and sneezing.

Knowing that anti-biotics will do absolutely nothing for the common cold, what should I expect a Dr. can/will do about the good old common cold for someone who is only 8 week post-operative? I am almost afraid to ask!

I don't think there is much you can do about it except carefully watch you don't develop pneumonia for some reason.
Check with your PCP as to what 'comfort meds' they will let you take. There is nothing that will cure your cold but some meds may make you more comfortable.

Assuming you are not experiencing any nasty bumps at the moment, a cold should not harm you in any way but, of course, won't be very comfortable.
At eight weeks, you have accomplished a level of healing.

Keep your cough pillow handy.
Hope you feel better fast.

I can feel that cold is coming on with the runny nose, cough and sneezing.

Knowing that anti-biotics will do absolutely nothing for the common cold, what should I expect a Dr. can/will do about the good old common cold for someone who is only 8 week post-operative? I am almost afraid to ask!

Stay warm, dry and have some chicken soup. :smile2:

Oh I'm sorry, that is a bummer! You will definitely need a list of meds you can and cannot take. Many cold type meds can elevate your blood pressure (if only to a small degree) as can some of the herbal concoctions (gingseng, ginger, etc..). Might as well start a handy index card somewhere for all the new no-no's.

That said, I'm sure you can manage to be comfortable with this. Saline nasal spray, while making me feel like I'm drowning in the ocean, is actually very good at keeping the nose semi-clear. Those zinc lozenges (like Cold-eze) work well for me, but you obviously need to read the ingredients to your doctor. Sitting up in bed with a very light rubbing of Vick's VapoRub (or Mentholatim) will certainly ease any coughing (being careful to avoid your new scar). Buying a humidifier/vaporizer is very helpful. Actually we were in Bed Bath and Beyond the other day buying new pillows and noticed a huge display of dozens of styles of these things (humidifiers) blowing steam everywhere. Some were quite adorable, others very techno. My husband swears by them in the wintertime (even in our terrarium-like wet, Oregon!)

In the future, try harder to avoid everyone's cold germs!! Here's what I did prior to my surgery 4+ years ago and still practice today. I have a little bottle of Purel (sanitary gel) in my car. Everytime I go somewhere and shake hands, open doors, grab railings, push sick-child chomped upon grocery carts, etc. I come back to my car and dab some gel on my hands. At home, we have separate toothpastes, separate hand towels and actually use paper towels (or those new Kleenex disposable Kleenex-like towels) for the bathroom that's in the main part of the house. I rarely use the paper, but it is there in case a sneezy repair man comes in, or something.

I hope this is a false alarm and you breeze right back into normal recovery! If not, best wishes and keep us posted on what your doctor recommends.

Marguerite

Try the following homeopathic remedy:
Take "Sambu" mfg by Flora. It's Elderberry concentrate. Take 2 ounces twice daily. Should resolve your problem in about 3 days, plus you feel almost immediately better. Builds your immune system. Do watch your INR as it could cause a spike.

It's not cheap, but I found it works.

I was just going to post this same question! My son Garrett is 3 weeks post-op OHS and his sister and my husband both have a cold. We are, of course, following all the precautions that we can, but our home is very small. I am so worried that Garrett is going to get the cold! I talked to his surgeon who said that he could spray zicam if he felt it coming on, but other than that, he should be fine. I feel like maybe I worry too much, but I can't imagine how distressed I would be if I were to catch a cold 3 weeks post-op! Has anyone had this happen before?

I had pnemonia at 5/6 weeks after open heart surgery----the only bad thing was the constant cough and sneezing which is hard on the sternum and ribs.I had a week of antibiotics and was ok after about 2 weeks.

Zicam reduces the severity and duration of cold symptoms; however, you do need to take it at the first sign of a cold. It's always worked for me and won't interfere with heart or ACT meds. No, I don't work for them.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi guys.
Am 3 months out from my AVR and think I am catching my first cold.

Thanks for the advice....I had wondered this too. Something is going around in our neck of the woods. My hubby and 2 kids have all had it, now it's my turn. I sit here at work with a low grade fever and general yucky feeling....oh gosh.

And it's Memorial Day weekend. BOO.

:cool2:

Latest posts

Back