Tee

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefields409

Would like to hear from those who have had this procedure. Not sure why. Glutton for punishment perhaps.

Is it standard before OHS? Please feel free to emphasize how well drugs /sedation worked for you. :biggrin2:

Although I like to think I am relatively stoic , the thought of having one make me :eek2: Even dentist visits are rough as I am a "gagger". Once at a dental appointment the dentist said. "PLEASE stop biting my fingers !!". Even two years of braces did not improve this.

I know, kinda of silly in the scheme of things but I find the prospect of this kinda hard to swallow...

sorry folks :rolleyes2:

~ Blue

It is not standard. Cardios like to run them, but if you're opposed, talk to your cardio and express your concerns. This issue has been mentioned before, and I'd say at least half of the VR membership did not have a TEE pre-surgery.

The only TEE I ever had was during surgery to check the valve.But, lots on here have.

I'm wondering WHO ordered the TEE (Cardio or Surgeon) and WHY?
The Cardio will numb your throat with some Yucky Tasting stuff and then tell you to swallow. YUCK. DO IT!
He can control your level of "conscious sedation" by varying the dose of Versed given in your IV,
taking you anywhere from "You want to do what? Can I watch" to "I don't want to Know or Remember ANY of this".
Been There, Done That, twice. They didn't want me to remember :)

I see that you have BAV. I encourage you to browse through the BAV and Connective Tissue Disorde (CTD) Forum for LOTS of pertinent information on those related issues. I also recommend that you find a Surgeon with Experience dealing with those issues as well as Surgery of the Aorta (which is more complex than 'mere' valve replacement) 'just in case' you need surgery of the aorta as well as AVR. The Gold Standard for checking for Aortic Aneurysms (a form of CTD) is either a Chest CT or MRI. I would guess that a good Aorta Surgeon would want to check for those issues in a BAV patient *before* surgery, just so that there are no 'surprises' once he opens you up.

'AL Capshaw'

...I'd say at least half of the VR membership did not have a TEE pre-surgery.

I'm not sure we can judge how many have had pre-op TEEs based on their recollections. I had a TEE pre-op in the OR that I have absolutely no memory of. Yet, there it is in my medical records, including the statement that I was "awake and alert"! (Thank you, Versed.) That's why, unless we're looking at medical records, I'm hesitant to do a headcount of who did or did not have a pre-op TEE.

I had another TEE a few weeks post-op, under conscious sedation in the cardio's office. I believe there was an IV with "something to help me relax". Apparently, it worked, since I can't say for sure about the IV and I couldn't tell you what the "something" was! Then there was the nasty stuff to numb my throat, then the TEE. I think it took about 15-20 minutes. Then they took me to a regular exam room, and I had a nice little nap for another 20 minutes. As you can see, I was very relaxed!

Hang in there,

Marcia

Thanks for your responses. I have appt with cardiologist this week and I believe this was to be on the 'agenda' for discussion. Information shared makes me feel more prepared when determining what the best options for me are. :)

Sorry if this had been covered in detail before. I did a search but did received "no matches". Perhaps TEE was not enough or perhaps I should have used advanced option.

A TEE isn't standard before valve surgery. I've had two valve surgeries, and I've never had a TEE. The TEE would mostly be if he is unsure as to what the situation in your heart is. I would ask him what is unusual about your case that would make a TEE necessary, that couldn't be shown by a less intrusive test (such as a standard echo or an MRA [Magnetic Resonance Angiogram]).

What is standard just before surgery is a cardiac catheterization (angiogram). It provides direct information for the surgeon. If you're being recommended to a surgeon, you can ask the surgeon what his opinion is regarding whether he needs a preop TEE.

Similarly, many cardiologists try to push their patients through a cardiac stress test before valve surgery. The AMA/CCC guidelines point out that results of those tests on valve patients (particularly with stenosis) are unreliable and can endanger the patients' well-being. Yet, some cardios still try to insist on it.

Best wishes,

Hello Blue
Prior to mitral valve replacement the cardio ordered a TEE. Sometimes I gag at the dentist so I was concerned.
Prior to the TEE I had a similar procedure when a probe was put into my stomach. I don't know the name of the drug they administered, slept through the procedure and woke immediately. So I expected a similar experience for the TEE. All well.
A different drug was given to me prior to the TEE. All was not well--it was the drug. I reacted badly to it.
I was administered "white milk" for the last TEE. All was well, I woke up immediately. No problem
All three tests required a throat gargle--it's not bad, just be careful of the anesthesia.
The bad reaction was valium--I never want that drug again.

Hi Blue - I've only had one and it was during my valve replacement operation. I don't think I bit anyone :eek2: but I'm current on my shots anyway :biggrin2: (Brief explanation: bicuspid was so bad it was making the mitral bad too so after the surgeon replaced the bicuspid, he did the TEE while I was still under and saw that the mitral didn't need work or replacement afterall.) I'm a gagger too. Gagged like crazy last time coming off the vent. There's a new happy thought for you :wink2:

The TEE gives a much clearer picture than a regular echo, since there are no ribs to interfere with the picture. I was shot full of meds for the procedure and do not recall any of it, it was a minor procedure. I also had a very detailed cardiac CT scan and did not have to have a cardiac cath. The meds I was given during the CT scan made me very uncomfortable an ill, I found the TEE to be a breeze compared to the CT. Every doctor will want different information, and every person is a bit different in what is happening in their heart, requiring different diagnostics.

I'm not sure we can judge how many have had pre-op TEEs based on their recollections. I had a TEE pre-op in the OR that I have absolutely no memory of. Yet, there it is in my medical records, including the statement that I was "awake and alert"! (Thank you, Versed.) That's why, unless we're looking at medical records, I'm hesitant to do a headcount of who did or did not have a pre-op TEE.

I had another TEE a few weeks post-op, under conscious sedation in the cardio's office. I believe there was an IV with "something to help me relax". Apparently, it worked, since I can't say for sure about the IV and I couldn't tell you what the "something" was! Then there was the nasty stuff to numb my throat, then the TEE. I think it took about 15-20 minutes. Then they took me to a regular exam room, and I had a nice little nap for another 20 minutes. As you can see, I was very relaxed!

Hang in there,

Marcia

A TEE while in the OR for valve replacement is standard procedure . They perform it to check the pressure grandients of the new valve before closing the chest. Bluefield's is asking about a TEE performed as a diagnostic tool before undergoing replacement.
Regarding TEE's performed pre-surgery, not the day of surgery, in either the doctor's office or hospital, of course they'd recall having one. They might not recall the procedure itself, but they know they've had the procedure.

A TEE while in the OR for valve replacement is standard procedure . They perform it to check the pressure grandients of the new valve before closing the chest. Bluefield's is asking about a TEE performed as a diagnostic tool before undergoing replacement.
Regarding TEE's performed pre-surgery, not the day of surgery, in either the doctor's office or hospital, of course they'd recall having one. They might not recall the procedure itself, but they know they've had the procedure.

Justin has had 5 OHS, I lost count of how many caths, both diagnostic and several interventional (Valvuloplasty, creating an ASD, ballooning conduit, stents then a couple of times to balloon the stents wider) and the only TEEs he had done were in the OR. He never had a TEE before any of his surgeries or Interventional caths. He had MANY echos (53 before he was 2, which I only know because the tech told us that day Justin had just broken the record for their most echos at that time) and the past few surgeries he had a MRI/MRA in between the echos and Caths to get a better look (and hopefully avoid the cath) As his Mom, I've been glad he only had them during surgery when he was already out and it wasn't something he had to have done seperately.

Last edited:
I recently had a TEE as follow-up to a standard echo that showed a "spot" in my heart. The TEE confirmed that nothing was there. It took two TEE's because they had trouble getting the probe down my throat.

Hi Blue - I've only had one and it was during my valve replacement operation. I don't think I bit anyone :eek2: but I'm current on my shots anyway :biggrin2: (Brief explanation: bicuspid was so bad it was making the mitral bad too so after the surgeon replaced the bicuspid, he did the TEE while I was still under and saw that the mitral didn't need work or replacement afterall.) I'm a gagger too. Gagged like crazy last time coming off the vent. There's a new happy thought for you :wink2:

Thanks SO much for that happy thought. :) I think I prefer to be in denial about the vent thing...... I'd rather have another baby than the whole tube down throat etc etc.

bluefields409's said:
Well..that settles it for me . NO TEE !!
I hope that you are joking. If the doctors think that you would benenfit by a closer look, you ought to do it. I hesitated at first to post my experience because I didn't want to discourage you. I should have mentioned before .............. I was totally sedated and have no recollection of the procedure except happy juice.

Just to clarify--
My cardiac surgeon had a TEE done:
- in the OR
- as a diagnostic tool
- just moments PRE-op for mitral repair

According to the anesthesiologist's report, I was:
- awake and alert
- cooperative with suggestions and instructions
- able to transfer myself from the cart to the operating table
- on Versed

I recall nothing--not even being in the OR.
The only reason I know it happened is because I got a copy of my medical records, and there it was in black and white!
If I hadn't read it in the anesthesia notes, I would have been saying that I didn't have a pre-op TEE.

Of course, if someone had a TEE pre-op, not the day of surgery, they would at least recall there was one done, if not the procedure itself.
I'm just wondering how many are saying, 'I didn't have one," based on personal recollection, when their medical records would show that one was performed in OR, that they do not remember.

If Bluefields' doctor insists on a pre-op TEE, maybe it could be done in OR, under anesthesia?

Latest posts

Back