suspect pleurisy

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john79t

I have been up for a few hours now. I have had a cough for 2 months. Went to GP and he gave me alergy med. seemed to be getting better but woke up about 2 AM with a shrp pain in the right side of my chest. It hurt when I take a deep breath or cough. I am going to urgent care shotly. I have read to many stories of valve being ruined by infection. Any sugestions?

After seeing one doc that said it was allergies I have been on meds for almost 2 weeks. After the chest pain I am getting an appointment with a lung doc. I know. In the mean time I started taking Ibuprofen , mucinex and the allergy med. I have also been pushing water. My cough is very much improved and no more pain in the chest when I breath. Someone suggested the flu but I have had no fever or any significant amount of stuff comming up. I still plan to see the lung doc but i think I have this under control now.

With flu I would have muscle aches and fever. My Gp ruled that out right off.

Just speaking of the flu - thought I'd mention what my PCP told me this week. I've had a flu shot - but she said she has had several patients come through with the flu that had their flue shot - so there may be some mutant strain out there not accounted for with this year's vaccine. Take care and be healthy!

John,

Of couse this is not an OFFICIAL diagnosis......BUT it sounds to me like you have Pericarditus. For me the ONLY thing that was effective was Prednisone. The cardio tried everything, but that's the only thing that works.

John, I'm sorry, I read you're post wrong. You said right side. With pericarditus, the pain should be on the left. Yes, it could be fluid in the lung.

My first thought was a pulmonary embolism. Sure sounds like mine. Right side, pain when breathing in, etc. I wonder if they ran a d-dimer on you to test for clots. Regardless, it's not always sensitive enough to rule in/out VTE's.

It could also just simply be a bad cough/cold/flu. I find myself thinking of the worst first sometimes.

Thanks Duff. The pain went away the next day. However, I am still coughing and it is driving me and everyone around me crazy. My son in law used to work for a lung doctor and I am trying to get in to see him. If I have to go back to urgent care i will insist on an x ray and some other tests. I have been taking allergy meds. mucinex, and NASIDS for inflammation but nothing seems to work long term. I am also using a humidifier at night. I am beginning to think it is viral.

Back