Surgery Tuesday the 13th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Hi all. I don't know what I would have done without all the info and kind words from everyone. My blood results came back and my platelets are up to 99,000. They said that I have Thrombocytopenia. I have my pre op on Friday and the surgeon wants to talk with me. I am worried that he will recommend a tissue valve now. If he does than I will go with his recommendation. I really didn't want to ever have another surgery. My surgery is set for Tuesday the 13th. I need to be their at 5:30 am. I would really appreciate your prayers for me and my family.
Thanks, Scott

Hi all. I don't know what I would have done without all the info and kind words from everyone. My blood results came back and my platelets are up to 99,000. They said that I have Thrombocytopenia. I have my pre op on Friday and the surgeon wants to talk with me. I am worried that he will recommend a tissue valve now. If he does than I will go with his recommendation. I really didn't want to ever have another surgery. My surgery is set for Tuesday the 13th. I need to be their at 5:30 am. I would really appreciate your prayers for me and my family.
Thanks, Scott

Sorry to hear, you have thrombocytopenia, the good part is they discoverred it a while before you had surgery, and not during the pre op testing the day or so before, or it started sometime after you already had surgery.
I would guess they probably will recomend a tissue valve, to try and avoid anticoagulants with your low platelets, but if it helps at all many of the mahjor heart centers, like CCf recomend tissue valves for their patints about 40 and up since tissue valves are lasting longer and the high chance of having the valve replaced by cath when the time comes.
You are all in my prayers

Scott, my thoughts and prayers are with you from now until the 13th and after. Where are you having the surgery? You've probably mentioned it before, but I can't remember if you did. As Lyn wrote, better to find out about the thrombocytopenia now than later. I'm confident you will do well. . . we've got your back.:wink2::)

Scott - I can't speak to your platelet condition, but I would certainly expect a knowledgeable discussion of the medical issues and sound advice from your surgeon. Whatever his recommendation is, obviously, sharing your own thoughts and concerns is equally important. I wish you the best in this difficult time, reaching a comfort level with decisions such as these, as well as preparing yourself and family for the surgery itself.

For what it's worth, I thought the stage you are at right now was the hardest part. I had my pre-op the Friday before a Tuesday surgery, and my valve decision wasn't finalized until then either. You know what, though....to my surprise, I left the hospital that day at peace not just with the decision, but with the surgery itself. I was strikingly more relaxed and finally ready for surgery. So, the next 3 days, I was able to just relax and focus on family.

By the way, a year ago, your surgeon did a early Tuesday morning, middle of September surgery that turned out pretty well. Yes, me. You are lucky, though, you get an extra half hour of sleep. I had to be there at 5:00!

You will be in the thoughts of so many here, and in all of our prayers. Look forward to hearing your progress, as well as your post-surgery thoughts and experience.

My surgery will be done at Emory midtown in Atlanta GA. by Dr Robert Guyton. I am scheduled for 5:30 am.

I am going to speak with Dr. Guyton again on Friday. I am hoping he recommends a certain valve because after I make up my mind I am really stubborn to change it. I wanted a tissue valve for the longest time, but I felt like I couldn't take it if it only lasted a few years, so I made peace with the mechanical valve choice. Now I might have to change my mind again. The thought of having a totally normal life with out cumaden, diet restrictions and the ticking sound is nice, but a tissue valve just feels like a temporary fix. With the odds of survival being about the same over time, I guess it doesn't matter. I guess I just need to hope that these new valves last longer and the next generation valves are even better. This whole experience has left me really trying to enjoy every day. Even though it has been hard and depressing.
I have a feeling I won't get much sleep the night before!
Thanks again for your support, Scott

I have a feeling I won't get much sleep the night before!

I always thought it was funny that they told me to be well rested before the surgery, at the same time telling me to be there at 5:00 am. I normally fall asleep in minutes, and sleep through anything, so I may be a bad example, but I slept fairly well the night before, given the circumstances...about 5 hours total I think. Yes, it was much harder to fall asleep than normal, but for me, it had more to do with the early bedtime than the stress. Looking back, I probably should have done a better job transitioning and getting good sleep a few days prior than I did.

It was pretty surreal the morning of, feeling wired yet half asleep, driving to the hospital in the wee hours of the morning, hardly another car on the road. But hey, that's a good thing in Atlanta, at least no traffic to worry about!

Scott - It's been a bumpy pre-surgery period I know, but this time tomorrow, you will have the easiest job in the room. Hopefully, things will even out post-surgery, too, in the form of a smooth and steady recovery. Best wishes on resting up tonight, and thoughts and prayers are with you throughout the process. Look forward to hearing from you post-surgery.

Thanks, I would have not been able to go through with it if it wasn't for all the info and kind words from you and everyone else.
I am still not ready for this but I know it's the best thing for me and my family.
I'll let you know how it went as soon as I can, or I'll have my wife post.

Scott you will be in my prayers. Best of luck with your surgery. My date for surgery is Oct. 13th. at Emory with Dr. Chen.

Good luck tomorrow Scott, will be thinking about you until we hear from your family that you are over the mountain. Your going to do great! :D

Scott, glad I got a laugh out of ya! Remember what he said in the second movie..."fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing......" You will be so great after this!!!
7:30am prayer time!!!

Thanks Rebecca. I hear Dr. Chen is great. I was going to interview him but after talking with Guyton I just had a good feeling. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks, Scott

Back