Surgery Tomorrow (Monday)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that I will be undergoing an AVR tomorrow. Preop is at 5am and surgery is at 8am. Super nervous, but by God, I will get through it. My wife will probably be updating you all on my progress. God bless!

Peter Gammo

Oh man i was in your shoes 10 months ago. I was in the "zone" at this point. It was almost like a movie. They gave me these wipes to wipe my body with at bed time and in the morning. You and i were/are very lucky to have loved ones with us because some dont during this time. Better yet you have a wife and kids to cheer you on! Basically all the motivation you need, oh plus Jesus... Wow slam dunk. Looking forward to the updates.

PS the catheter kinda sucks. Go class of 2012!

Peter, it is a minute past 8:00 and hopefully you are in nana land and getting your heart mended. I shall be thinking about you and praying for a successful surgery and a very bump free recovery.

Hello all.

I'm still in the hospital. The surgery went well and the incision only came out to be around 4 inches. I am suffering from excruciating back pain/spasms and my clavicle seems to be swollen and bruised. I also have an air pocket around my lung that is preventing me ftom recovering. And I'm doing horribly on the spirometer. That's where I'm curently at. I hope to get my tubes out soon along with the lung air pocket, but only God knows. Will keep you all updated, friends.

good work

good work

Hello all.

I'm still in the hospital. The surgery went well and the incision only came out to be around 4 inches. I am suffering from excruciating back pain/spasms and my clavicle seems to be swollen and bruised. I also have an air pocket around my lung that is preventing me ftom recovering. And I'm doing horribly on the spirometer. That's where I'm curently at. I hope to get my tubes out soon along with the lung air pocket, but only God knows. Will keep you all updated, friends.

So happy to hear surgery went well. I am sure everything will sort itself out. Take care and god bless. All the best to you and I hope it all gets easier from here.

Hello all.

Peter, hang in there. Just keep at the spirometer, in time you will improve. I also believe once you get rid of some of your tubes you will start to feel a whole lot better since the leash will be off. Sit up in a chair is possible, walk when the opportunity arrives, try to eat that hospital food, and sleep as much as your body wants. I am glad that you are past the surgery and that all went well. I know that your recovery will get on track soon. Best Wishes:)

breathing hurts, but its good. force yourself to breath in deeply with spirometer as if your life depends on it.

Hello everyone,
This is Peter's wife Gaby. First off, I would like to thank all of you for being such an amazing support group to my husband. You have all been able to comfort and reassure him in a way only other heart surgery patients can.
He asked me to give a quick update on how he is doing. Yesterday Peter was unable to leave his bed, and was unable to eat sitting upright. Today his chest tubes were removed and he was able to do some walking and physical therapy. He even walked 2 flights of stairs. He is resting now, but doing much better. He has been working on the spirometer and is up to 1200 with the goal of 1800. We have had some ups and downs, but things are really starting to look up. The incision from the surgery is minimal and is healing well. His shoulder/back/neck spasms are lessening and he has been able to breathe through them as he is trying to limit his pain medications. We are hoping that he will be able to go home by Sunday. Thank you all so much for all of your support and I will update any other changes.

Gaby

This is Peter's wife again. He wanted me to ask you all, did any of you have any issue with high heart rate during your hospital recovery? His resting heart rate has not been going under about 130, and his heart rate when getting out of bed or sitting up is reaching 160 with beta blockers. The Nurse Practitioner on staff asked that he have no more visitors (which I think is a great idea; we both have loud families) so that he can rest. I am hoping this will resolve the issue, but for now they are going to increase his beta blockers again (for the 3rd day in a row). Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Gaby

Hey Peter/Gaby,

I am getting AVR in a couple weeks (it will be my first open heart surgery), so this information is invaluable!! I do not have an answer for about the heart rate, rest and relaxation helped me when I went into a-fib a couple months ago. I am sending good vibes your guys' way,

Peace,

-Garrett

Glad to hear that the tubes are out, since you do feel more human once they are gone. I really don't recall my heart rate in the hospital, since my memories of my time there have faded. But I know that it was something the visiting nurse watched pretty closely when I came home. Eventually, my heart rate eased back down, but I don't know how much effect the beta blockers had versus my pain gradually receding. Hope Peter keeps improving!

My heart rate was elevated quite a bit post-op but nowhere near Peter's. I'd be asking the staff about that. SOME elevation is completely normal, even if it is annoying. I had to ask the doctors what they were going to do about it.

Latest posts

Back