Surgery Slid to Nov 12.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainframe

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm trying to be really understanding but it's difficult.

I orginally had surgery scheduled for 11/4. So we traveled the 800 miles to get the surgeon of choice,, Dr Miller. For some reason his office choose not to explain Dr. Miller decided not be be in town on the 4th of Nov, my scheduled surgery date. Naturally I found out about this less than 1 hour after actually getting here this afternoon.

I'm been symptomatic for serveral months and seem to get worse almost on a daily basis. I'm not looking forward to feeling 8 days worse that I currently do.

Of course I'm dissappointed and angry at the same time. We rented a house down here for a month and now will have to extend, change flight arrangements and miss more time from work. My parents, brother and niece all had flight/hotel arrangement for the 4th and now have to change or not come.

I guess I'd feel a bit better if there was an explanation but "is unavailble on the 4th" isn't reassuring as I sit here 800 miles from home.

Grrr.

Sorry to hear that Chris...you do deserve a better explanation than that. Stay strong, and take it easy. I know it wont be easy, especially with the sudden change, but try to do yourself some good and be calm.

I'm sorry to hear this. It is really a shame they didn't try to get in touch with you before you left, since chances are he didn't just decide not to be around. Sometimes I think they /surgeons, scheduallers ect, don't "get" what all families have to go thru to make arrangemnts for surgery, time off work,travel arrangemnts ect. Justin has had almost every one of of his surgeries postponed, usually a couple times (and 2 other times he was an ER that bumped someone else) BUT we were local, so it wasn't as much a big deal and they hospitals we used tried if at all possible to operate on the people that travelled to be there, (even IF it meant calling a local person and asking if they would switch) Now WITH all that said, I REALLY believe you have your surgery when you are meant to and there is a reason, altho even believe that, it is still so frustrating to have all the plans messed up.

Chris:

ARGH! I don't know what to say except that you need to focus your energies on getting through the next 9 days in the best shape you can. I found Miller's staff to be over all friendly and helpful but not perfect. Also, although I'm sure you had an excellent consultation with Miller, don't expect to see him again until you are close to discharge, unless there are some unresolved issues about the planning of your surgery.

Although I encourage you to try to relax, I hope you or your family expressed their disappointment with the way this was handled to Dr. Miller's staff (Darcy Gibbs is the one I interacted with most). Flora, Miller's direct administrator, available at his phone number, is another good contact. I have numbers if you need them.

I'm real sorry to hear this. If there is anything I can do, let me know. I will be able to drive sometime next week, and if you are staying in the area and need someone to relieve your family, provide some entertainment/diversion, I am a native of this area and would be delighted to do anything I can to help make this go as quickly as possible. If you need anything sooner, my wife will help.

Best wishes,

Bill

Kind of OT but It is driving me nuts (nutser?) and I am NOT in any way suggesting this will happen to YOU. Does anyone remeber WHO was it that I believe lived in fla and flew to CFF and their surgery was postponed and they ended up being there weeks if not over a month, before their surgery?

Im really sorry to hear this, but like others have said, try and keep calm and the 12th will be here before you know it.
Wishing you all the best when the 12th is here, keep us informed how things are going.
Take care,
Jane

Thanks everyone for the support. I know things come up but it's always frustrating when it's you. I keep thinking about the Seinfeld episode where Jerry is trying rent a car.

Jerry: I don’t understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That’s why you have the reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don’t think you do. If you did, I’d have a car. See, you know how to take the reservation, you just don’t know how to *hold* the reservation and that’s really the most important part of the reservation, the holding. Anybody can just take them.

Bill, that is a very generous offer, it made my wife "leak". I'd love to get together if possible before the surgery, we are renting a house in Mountain View.

Chris: I am so much stronger today I'd love to just drive over now. I think Monday, which is still breaking the rules, would be the earliest chance. If you are up to it, we can go out for a ride in my supercharged 89 Porsche 928 S4 (done 180+ legally in it) and tour SF or any parts you and your wife might want to see, at posted legal speeds, of course.

Are you able to get comfortable and sleep? I sure hope so. Last night was a sleep breakthrough for me.

Again, if there is anything you need between now and then, don't hesitate to tell me.

Bill

I don't know, one going into surgery, one coming out of surgery joyriding in a Porsche, ......there's a movie waiting to be made ...;)

Take it easy.......both of you.....lol

Chris: I am really sorry to hear. A postponement was one of my main concerns, and I only had local arrangements (well, my parents flew in from Norway, but were going to stay for several weeks in any case). I can only imagine the hassle and frustration you are dealing with.
Karl.

Maybe something came up of a personal nature with your doctor like a medical emergency for him or a loved one, and the staff cannot discuss it with you. Could even be that someone in his family died. You never know.

I once had a surgery scheduled which was postponed because one of the partners stormed out of the practice leaving the others to scramble around to cover his scheduled surgeries. Those nasty things can happen too.

Of course, if it is because he is going to some meeting, they certainly could have given you an early head's up. And if that is the case, you have every reason to be extremely unhappy.

But because it happened suddenly, I'm thinking something happened suddenly for him too.

Don't tell my wife, but I broke all the rules and drove over to see Chris and his wife even though I am only 14 days post-op.:eek: No problem. I'm back home safely.

Chris is doing well enough, hanging in their for surgery. I hope to go back over again Monday and take them on a tour of The City.:)

Thanks Bill for coming by. It was great to me you. We had a great chat about many things "valvular". The visit made my day. It will probably be the highlight of the trip until hitting 180+ in the 928.

Hope you got the car parked o.k. so your wife will not detect your actvities this afternoon.

wow, Bill, sounds like you'll be going back to work in a week, eh? ;)

Hang in there Chris. I'm very sorry to read about the scheduling snafu, particularly since you had to disrupt your life in a big way to come down here for it. Good luck next week!

Latest posts

Back