Surgery Possible Within 2 Days of a Consultation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Travel safely and good luck with your consultation.
What a relief it would be to have the surgery scheduled so fast. You've had enough pre-surgery time to think and research etc

We'll wait to hear what you and the surgeon decide.
Best wishes.

Best of luck if it turns out to be the course of events. The only question I'd have would be if your brilliant thoracic surgeon is taking off shortly after your surgery, who will be there should you need some type of follow on procedure. Are you comfortable having someone else take over?

Wishing you the best ... I have never traveled by train except a short trip from Utrecht to Amsterdam, sounds fun ... waiting sux and surgery is scary ... hang in there:thumbup:

At least in the train you can see the countryside.

You've already determined that whatever comes from this meeting will be the best decision that can be made. We'll all be with you in one form or another, so lean on that knowledge if you need it.

Very best wishes,

Thank you so much everyone for your well wishes and thoughtful responses.

Dallas or Houston?

Houston. :)

Best of luck if it turns out to be the course of events. The only question I'd have would be if your brilliant thoracic surgeon is taking off shortly after your surgery, who will be there should you need some type of follow on procedure. Are you comfortable having someone else take over?

That's an excellent point, and I've given that some thought. I think that while the best surgeon won't be there, several other surgeons probably will be and they all have great stats. It's a high volume institution ranked 4th in the nation, so I feel like I have a damn good chance even if there is some follow-up procedure needed. Better than if it were local, by far. Not to mention, I plan on the procedure going right the first time. The only time :D

And, that's IF it happens. I might just get back on the train and go to mexico.

Ditto in the best wishes on the trip and consult. Will be thinking of you and looking forward to an update! Sounds like you will be in 'good' hands. :thumbup:

Hey Duff, you could have avoided all this hassle a year or so back.....when Ross and i offered to operate on you. ;)
When my surgeon decided it was time, I had the angio the next day and surgery 12 days later. No point in fooling around when the opportunity is there to get fixed up. And during my second week in recovery my surgeon took a quick little trip to a conference in Europe. No big deal.
I totally agree with the NO flying....that would have given me a quadruple freak out.
The train will be great. Keep us posted. :)

(clarification: my 16 days in hospital was only to get my INR stable and the Heparin drip kept me safe from clots)

Last edited:
Duff Man:

So you're going to St. Luke's (Texas Heart Institute)? I think it's No. 4 in the U.S.

Good luck. I'd love to take a train trip -- for a vacation, but not the kind you're anticipating having. :-0

Duff Man,
Gee. You've been around so long that I thought you were a permanent fixture in the waiting room. During that time you've been a great resource, sharing your knowledge on heart related issues gained from intensive research. For that, I thank you. :thumbup:

As far as surgery, if they say it's a go, then great. You're as ready as you'll ever be. You've done your homework; you picked a great hospital and apparently a great surgeon. Hand it over to the experts and let them do their part. You will do fine.

Keep us posted and be sure to get off the train in Texas.
Best,
John

Best of luck, Duff. I had my first surgery 3 days after meeting my surgeon...I had to wait over the labor day weekend! Yes, it can go that fast.

Hi Duff:

Hey, this is Jake, we have exchanged some info regarding the aortic disease registry at U of M.

Hey man, sorry to hear about all the craziness in your situation. I’m heading in to surgery at the University of Michigan on Dec 3rd. It’s been pretty crazy and things happing very fast, but not fast like its going on with you.

I wish you the best on whatever happens O boy. Hopefully we can tell some stories from "the other side" soon.

My surgeon told me:

"The chances signifigant problems with valve and aortic replacement surgery is lower than the likelihood that you will be killed by a drunk driver, so be careful driving home from the hospital."

Translation.....everythng will be fine!

You will be in my thoughts in church this week and I will light a candle for you. Ill c ya on the other side O boy.

Best wishes for all to go well for you :)

Though it's been many years ago, I have traveled on Amtrak cross-country a few times, though only coach and not in a berth. But I have some thoughts about your travel.

I hope you will be traveling with someone to help you?

The trains were never as clean then as one would have hoped. Pack disinfecting wipes for bathroom surfaces and such.

As I thought about you walking around on a jerky-train shortly post-surgery, because most surgeons/cardios want post-valve surgery patients to walk a lot and even when traveling, I was thinking about you putting out your hands to balance yourself and thinking about how painful -- and possibly dangerous -- this could be for your sternum, because of the post-op weight restrictions and just the unusual type of strong pain jolts a sawn and wired sternum can send out :eek2:

I looked at berths. As I recall from travel, years ago, these often needed reserved in advance. But you may have already looked into that. You would probably want a private bathroom? Both of the following have such:

This one is designed for a person with mobility impairment http://www.amtrak.com/media/train_tour/viewliner/viewliner.html with upper and lower berths and a sofa, but you may not be comfortable lying flat immediately post-op.

Smaller bedrooms http://www.amtrak.com/media/train_tour/viewliner/viewliner.html have seats that convert to a bed, which might work for you -- but due to post-surgery weight restrictions (mine was to not lift or push or pull more than five pounds for eight weeks) you would likely need help with converting them.

Edited to add: I see the links aren't quite accurate (and are duplicates); and you have to click a bit on the links. You can click on the floorplan link to the right. The first berth I described is the accessible bedroom and the second berth is the plain bedroom, both are to the far left of the car diagram.

Last edited:
I am sorry for all the anxiety you are still feeling. I hope you will get some actionable answers. Seems like you've been in this limbo for so long -- must be driving you crazy!

I know you'll keep us posted. Remember we're all there with you; traveling down on the train -- sitting in the doctor's office -- we're with ya!!! We are.

Keep on hangin' in there.

Marguerite

Thanks for the great posts everyone. You folks are important to me.

The only way I've been able to continue to take steps forward on this thing is to remind myself that it could just turn out to be an uneventful vacation to a town we've never been to before. Sightseeing, etc. Maybe I'll just say no, and that'll be the end of it. I don't have to submit to the surgery if i dont want. :) I really just want to wake up and discover it's all a bad dream. Right now my coping mechanism is mostly denial.

Latest posts

Back