Surgery Next Week

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angus

G'day all I am booked in for surgery on Wednesday the 13th for an aortic valve replacement it has only been a month since I was diagnosed with the problem after I went for a medical for a job and the doctor thought he could hear something and thought I should go to my regular gp and have it investigated further.
After going to the gp I was referred for an echo as she said " hearing it can only tell you so much".
Four days later laying down on the table after the echo was complete a cardiologist comes striding into the room saying "mate how long have you had this murmer for your going to need a heart operation you were born with a bicuspid aortic valve and it needs to be fixed, mate it's a bread and butter operation for us we do them all the time" first thoughts were about my young family and finding this out a week after the birth of your second child really hits home it was quite an emotional week after finding that out and my next appointment. My referring gp rang me up and reassured that everything was ok and that I wasn't in any immediate danger which was good:smile2
Since then it has been a quick procession of tests visits to my cardiologist meeting my surgeon, both of whom are great!!!!
Finding this site has been of great value and reassurance during this time.

Welcome, Angus!
Wow, things did move fast for you! Yes, it is an emotional time but it will soon be over and you will be on your way once again. There are several other young parents on this site who have recently had valve replacements.
It is, indeed, a "bread and butter" operation these days. We live at a good time!
All will be well.

Welcome to the site. Getting the news that you need this type of surgery puts you on an emotional rollercoaster. The good news for you is that your wait is relatively short, and nearly everyone on the boards agrees that the wait is the most difficult part. As your surgeon said, this is an everyday operation for them, and they have had so much practice that it is no big deal for them. That still doesn't mean that it isn't a big deal for the patient, though! The best thing about the operation is that it is going to give you a nice long time to enjoy watching your children grow up, which is the best reward possible.

I have a son who's been an hour or so south of you since February, studying at Griffith University's Gold Coast campus. Of course, I think he's studying the girls at the beach more that for his actual classes, but he's only young once!

Let us know any questions that you may have, because we all remember what it was like while waiting to go in for our OHS.

Angus,

I know about quick - I was in surgery 3 months after I found out that I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve - SURPRISE! It is good that you don't have to sit and wait for a long time to get it done, that was a blessing in my case anyway.

Bad timing with the birth of your child, but know that you're in good hands. No worries, take your time with recovery!

Rachel

Welcome to the site :) glad you found it!

What a shock for you! Sometimes bicuspids are discovered at birth and sometimes not. But great strides have been made with OHS open heart surgery.

Hoping all will go well for you! Best wishes :)

Hi Angus, and welcome to the boards,
Good luck for wednesday!
Will keep you in my thoughts!
!Love Sarah xxx

Angus, You will do great. I had mine in Dec and my wife had our 2nd baby last month. Are you going tissue or mechanical?

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
Jeff I am leaning towards a mechanical valve now I have discussed the pros and cons with both types of valves with my cardiologist and surgeon who are both happy for me to have either but after the last visit to the surgeon he did say with a person my age and activity that if I go for a tissue valve there would be a good chance of it being replaced after 7-10 years, but said it was my choice and will sit down with me on Tuesday after admission. Really nice surgeon and gave me his mobile number and said if you have any more questions to give him a call.

Hi Angus,

Finding out you need surgery is a real shocker. I knew I would need mine replaced "someday", but when that "someday" became now it was still a slap in the face for sure. Glad you found us...there is no more caring and understanding bunch than there are here.

BTW I have a good mate who lives in Brisbane.

Good luck on Wednesday...will be thinking about you on our Tuesday afternoon/evening.

Hi all just a follow up to this post and to let you that everything was successfull. Ideas in ICU for 48 hrs and ind the cardiac ward for another three days hoping to be discharged first thing in the morning as I had all my final tests and scans today.

Well after being discharged I spent one night at home then was readmitted for another 2 nights with some heart palpitations. Turns out it was atrial fibrillation and after a few more tests they found out my potassium levels where to high and was cut of some medication and given some new medication to take for a few weeks.

Well after being discharged I spent one night at home then was readmitted for another 2 nights with some heart palpitations. Turns out it was atrial fibrillation and after a few more tests they found out my potassium levels where to high and was cut of some medication and given some new medication to take for a few weeks.

Many of us have this happen, not to worry. Try to get some needed rest and best wishes.

Back