Surgery Decision

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes it takes a little to accept this major step. Here is my advice. It is much more convenient to recover while it is still nice out. I big part of recovery is getting out and walking. Winter can get in the way of that. With that said, I tried for a December date in 2010 when my Cardio said "and this year". I was glad to get it done in July and not have it hanging over my head.

Stay Well,
Scott

Tom, .
Its hard to say what to expect after surgery, sometimes its not so good. But often its not that bad.
For myself, 9 months after aortic valve replacement with a St. Jude tissue valve the healing feels complete. The only medication I take is a baby aspirin daily. Next test is an echo in 3 years and next cardiologist appointment is in one year for an annual visit. However, there is going to be a replacement coming sometime, but until then its a better feeling living without worrying about the bad valve consequences every day.

I consider myself lucky. I go in 2 weeks for AVR replacement after my last echo in May said I was probably less than a year away. But I was prepared since 4 years ago my cardio said 3-5 years. I may ask him for lottery advice. But other than the echo reading, I don't have any symptoms. The cardio and the surgeon each asked if I had any shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pains etc. I have none. I walk 2 brisk miles a day usually in the hottest time. I am 63. But the advice I took away from this board was when it goes it can go quickly. So I chose the fall after my grandchild's first birthday tomorrow. We head for Florida for the winter so hopefully I will be as good as new by late December. I could have waited till the spring, but it was better to do it on my terms when I feel great rather than get forced into a time period.

Hi Adrienne,
Thanks for the reply and I think it was such a good feeling to have someone else reply with just about the same exact issues I have, and believe it or not "YOUR" reply really helped me into finally deciding to go and get the surgery done. I have called the surgeon and his sectrartary is making the arrangements, as far as the pre-op testing also have to have pre-op testing for a cardiac catherization as they want that done to assure I do not need anything else doen. So I am scared/nervous/anxious/apprehensive/doubting my decision etct etc, but I know that is normal jsut by reading messages of other people that are on here. I am so glad I found this forum as it wa a total accident.

I will keep you posted as far as when I find out the dtae of the surgery, I am meeting with my surgeon this Tuesday September 4th, 2012 at 1:00pm

Thanks again for your reply, it really did help!

TomG

Hi again Tom. I am anxious to know how your meeting with the surgeon goes Sept. 4. I don't post a lot, but as you said, our issues were so similar, I felt I had to tell you about my experience. I'm really glad it helped you make a decision. Keep us posted.

Hi Adrienne,

I was very glad to get a reply from you, like I said you helped me in making my decision to ultimately to get my OHS for my mitral valve. I had my second meeting with the cardiac surgeom whom I decided to have performed the surgery as I like him for many reason, from his vasy experience his bedside manners, how easy it was to listen to him while he explained things, easy to ask question and as many as you want even if I repeated any questions. The way he explained what my problem was in detail and how he was going to repair it in detail and all this helped me a lot. He mentioned multiple times that this is going to be a lenghty and difficult repair and that is will be a challenge to him and that being said that is why he is giving the success rate of about 80% whereas with most MV repairs it would be up the 90% range. I myself think it is good success rate but not great either.

In any event I decided to go and get the surgery and the date is going to be Thursday September 13th, 2012. This past Tuesday I got all the pre-surgery testing done which were a lot of different types of tests as you know. Now today Friday September 7th, 2012 I am getting a cardiac catherazation done as well just to make sure there are no other issues with my heart.

Now it is just waiting until the big day, I am scared to a point as well as wonder how the recovery is going to be like, was your recovery very hard?

I will let you know how I make out as soon as I can for sure!

Thanks again for your help!
TomG

Hi again Tom (I just replied to your other thread). As for my recovery, I have to say it went pretty well. The first few days, everyone feels pretty crappy, but I felt a tiny bit better each day. After three weeks, I felt very good! One tip: don't try to fight the breathing tube. I psyched myself up in advance so I wouldn't panic. When my husband told me the good news as I was waking up, I gave him a thumbs-up sign! Good luck again!

I hope like many others, making the decision and having a date is a relief for you. Now you havethe plan made and can just follow it. Where will you be having your surgery you are lucky to live in an area with alot of great heart hospitals. We live in nj bjt i lived inlansdowne and philly for a while

Latest posts

Back