Surgery Date Set!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyinva

Just received a call from my surgeons office and confirmed my surgery date of Oct. 6th. Somehow all of a sudden it seems real. I'm ready to get it behind me and move forward...

I think most of us remember when we got our surgery date. It does make replacement seem very real. I'll add you to the surgery calendar; seeing it on the calendar also makes it seem very real!:smile2:

Good for you! I'm glad you have a relatively short wait. Soon you'll be on the recovery end, and dishing out advice to the newbies!

It really doesn't seem real until you lay outside the operating room! It is good you don't have long to wait. It is better to wait and use your worry energy to heal after your surgery. I wish you the best of luck. I was there 6 weeks ago. Pat

I just about vomited from the anxiety when I got my date. I think I called more people than when I set my wedding date. But my date changed because I ended up needing surgery sooner. If you have any big projects to keep you busy the few days before that would be helpful. I was in the hospital going stir crazy for the four days leading up to surgery, luckily though they weren't stingy with the xanax. Also after surgery you won't want to do anything so if you can schedule follow up appointments, set up bill payments online, get a very short haircut, etc. it will help you. Oh and if you celebrate Halloween you'll want to get your pumpkin carved before your surgery.

If you get too anxious call your doctor, there is no shame in needing anxiety meds in a situation like this.

Glad you got your date. I found it helpful to make a few goals focused down the road 'after surgery'.
Thinking of you and hoping the time goes by quickly.

Glad to see its already on calander.............
highs.gif
our thoughts and prayers speeding along with you
angel.gif

Not that impending surgery is a good thing but it's reassuring to have that piece in place. Be sure to read the sticky about preparing for the patient at home... some good things to do to get ready.

Kip, yes, indeed, having a date does seem make the experience seem real. Now you have a time frame to plan around. This is a good time to begin planning the early part of your recovery and putting in place the network of people who will help you along the way. I planned what I was taking to the hospital and got everything ready several days before surgery. When I woke up after leaving the ICU, I was quite uninterested in TV, the books I brought, the drawing tools. Pretty much the only things I used were the clothes and my MP3 player. For those first few days I just couldn't concentrate on any of them. I found it very nice after the ICU to take a shower and change into my own soft clothes and house shoes. Take care.

Larry

Congratulations! I think you are fortunate to have a waiting period that is 2 weeks; mine was about 2 months. Spending a lot of time on these boards, and reading eveyone's experiences really helped me out. Like Mentu, I had all these reading materials lined up, but was not really interested in them until a few weeks later.

Good luck!

WOW you have the same surgery date as me!
I'm having a Bentall procedure on the 6th.
Best of luck!

Aaron BAV,
Unfortunately I am unable to access the calendar to put you on it next to guyinva. Hopefully someone else will be able to do this.

Best wishes to the both of you!

Best wishes to you Kip, and you too Aaron, for a successful surgery and recovery. Remember that you won't dry up and blow away the first night if you get a nurse who strictly rations your ice chips; and remember too that the strange-looking plastic spirometer is your friend. I'm like Larry and Bean Counter, couldn't concentrate on reading materials, and the television news was scary (probably too much pain meds), but you'll be busy walking up and down the hallways anyway. Take care :)

Back