Surgery Before Symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it's worth, I felt much better once I had a date (and some certainty) than when it was just amorphously lingering at all times.

Hi, I was completely asymptomatic when I was diagnosed which made the whole idea of open heart surgery really very strange ! I was very active, working ten hours a day in construction, surfing, enduro and motoX riding, fit and healthy... But my Aortic valve was 0.5cm2 which was considered critical and before I knew it I was in hospital being cut open ! My whole body was getting it's blood supply through no more than a drinking straw size valve opening but I felt like I could happilly climb Everest ! All very strange, I almost thought they must be wrong. I'd only gone to the Doctor for a check up because I'd turned 40 and realised I'd not visited one for about 20 yrs ! When I had my operation I was told I probably had between 3 and 6 months to live.
After my operation I felt terrible and it was hard to believe they'd mended me when I felt totally fine in the first place !
I'm quoting Woodbutcher because my experience was exactly like his. No symptoms but an awfully tight valve that was shrinking at an alarming rate. My surgeon said he found my valve was in such bad shape that my first symptom could have been my last. I felt worse than before the operation for about 6 weeks but am fine now. So, there are, as you can see from the numerous responses, at least some people like you who have no symptoms but have dangerously small and severely diseased valves. If you have numbers like Woodbutcher or me, I think it would be foolish to wait and see what bad things might happen and complicate the surgery.

Bill

Symptoms?

Symptoms?

You probably have a pretty clear picture that there is no shortage of members here who had surgery despite having no symtpoms. I'm sorta of a member of that group. I had no symptoms and was living my life with little concern about my bad valve; however, circumstances led to the discovery of a 5.8 cm aortic aneuryism. The presence of the aneuryism required surgery without much concern as to whether my bad valve was creating symptoms or not.

As others have noted in their posts, significant damage can be occur before major symptoms appear. It's best to listen to the advice of a cardiologist whom you trust.

-Philip

I'd like to second what Nancy said i.e. symptoms are sneaky, can be interpreted as other things, and can come on so gradually that you forget what "normal" actually is. I also walked in to the hospital feeling what I had considered to be "good", but now, 15 months post surgery my new "normal" is so much different from the old that I really do feel like a new person.
Cameron

Surgery before symptoms

Surgery before symptoms

Hi, also a new member and do concur that this is a great site
Am 57 and about to undergo replacement of bicuspid aoetic valve and repair/replace mitral (will be fully determined at surgery).
Have been followed by a cardilogist for about 4 years, from when my GP picked regurgitation on annual exam, with gradual deterioration over the 4 years.
My Echo and angiogram have now confirmed that aortic valve is now at 25% efficiency, a major degradation change in past year and now classified as severe stenosis of the valve, but pump and aoeta are very good, although heart oversized.
Like you, I have little/none of the dizziness or shortness of breath symptoms yet, but i believe that once we become aware of the consequences we adjust activities/lifestyle and pace ourselves.
The numbers do not lie and your cardiolist, angiogram doctor and soon your surgeon, have to be relied on as professionals with large multi-patient experience.
My cardilogist has been recommending surgery for past year and i also preferred delay, but on last visit, he stated he would have removed driving priviliges if i drove a big rig, which tells me he knows what is coming for me if i do not get it done.
Am living a country and active liefestyle and have decided to get it done before i lose driving privileges and while healthy, as it should mean for a speedier recovery.
So am scheduled for May 17th surgery at Royal Vic in Montreal and getting it done and over with for now.
Big decision is biological vs. mechanical valve, as currently take no medication and Coumadin for life has me very concerned, as required with mechanical.
Still working through research of pros and cons to valve choice, mechanical initially but am leaning biological today and will meet cardilogist to discuss once again
Good news is my surgeon has agreed to Kryptonite glue (could be the 1st in Montreal) and am hoping that this glue should make faster healing to bone damage (you may want to research this).
Recommend trust but question your cardiologist, when he recommends an angiogram test, the time is likely near.
Gil

What a timely post, Dan. Thanks to all who gave their feedback. Like several others here, I'm struggling with pulling the trigger on the surgery date. Cardiologist says "sooner rather than later". Surgeon seemed not very worried and said "you've been living with this a while -- but you can schedule it at your convenience." Once the surgeon gave me permission not to panic, my symptoms have all but disappeared, and I"m wondering like you why would I mess with something that doesn't feel broken. This post is a good wake up call not to get too comfortable.

Good luck, Dan. We are all pulling for your successful recovery. Keep us posted.

Am 57 and about to undergo replacement of bicuspid aoetic valve and repair/replace mitral (will be fully determined at surgery).
Have been followed by a cardilogist for about 4 years, from when my GP picked regurgitation on annual exam, with gradual deterioration over the 4 years.
My Echo and angiogram have now confirmed that aortic valve is now at 25% efficiency, a major degradation change in past year and now classified as severe stenosis of the valve, but pump and aoeta are very good, although heart oversized.
Like you, I have little/none of the dizziness or shortness of breath symptoms yet, but i believe that once we become aware of the consequences we adjust activities/lifestyle and pace ourselves.
The numbers do not lie and your cardiolist, angiogram doctor and soon your surgeon, have to be relied on as professionals with large multi-patient experience.
My cardilogist has been recommending surgery for past year and i also preferred delay, but on last visit, he stated he would have removed driving priviliges if i drove a big rig, which tells me he knows what is coming for me if i do not get it done.
Am living a country and active liefestyle and have decided to get it done before i lose driving privileges and while healthy, as it should mean for a speedier recovery.
So am scheduled for May 17th surgery at Royal Vic in Montreal and getting it done and over with for now.
Big decision is biological vs. mechanical valve, as currently take no medication and Coumadin for life has me very concerned, as required with mechanical.
Still working through research of pros and cons to valve choice, mechanical initially but am leaning biological today and will meet cardilogist to discuss once again
Good news is my surgeon has agreed to Kryptonite glue (could be the 1st in Montreal) and am hoping that this glue should make faster healing to bone damage (you may want to research this).
Recommend trust but question your cardiologist, when he recommends an angiogram test, the time is likely near.
Gil

FYI, Enlargement of the Heart IS a symptom.

At some point, enlargement can become Irreversible,
even with Surgery to replace the stenotic valve.
That is why Surgeons typically urge patients to FIX the problem
Before it becomes Permanent.

To my NON-professional mind, Symptoms are a sign that DAMAGE is being done to the heart.
MANY of our members reported "No Symptoms", until After their Surgery when they decided those things they had attributed to Old Age or being Out of Shape really were symptoms of their Heart Valve deterioration.

As you can tell, I am a proponent of the Sooner is Better approach to problem of Aortic Stenosis.

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome to the site, Gil. Glad you found it. Best wishes with your surgery on the 17th.

Gil

Gil, hello and welcome. If you like, copy your post and paste it onto a new thread so that others can meet you. We do have many Canadian members.

I had no symptoms. My valve space was .8 and I had a 4.5 CM aneurysm in my ascending aorta. I was in need of hip replacement surgery that could not be done until the valve was fixed. Also I did not want to wait until I had heart damage or a rupture so I elected surgery. It will be 1 year June 30. I got the hip Jan. 12 2010. This month I have been planting many flowers, a veg. garden and laying a stone patio by my self. Best decision I ever made. Yes like everyone else I was scared out of my mind before the surgery.

Latest posts

Back