Surgery all done

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgreenbee

I had my aortic valve replaced on Wednesday. Today is Friday. I am doing great. No pain. I walked six laps around the ward today. This was much less traumatic than I expected.

There you go! Another satisfied customer!

Congrats. It's a common experience that it's a lot easier than it looks from the other side.

Great job. The surgery really was less traumatic than I expected. 6 laps, I'm 25 and I could barely walk 40 feet the first few days. I hope things continue to go well! Welcome to the other side.

Damn awesome! Give us more updates as you have time. ALso, when you have a chance do write up your post-op experience in detail. Those are always interesting to read.

Still improving

Still improving

Now I have been in the hospital four days. Tomorrow I get my iv removed, staples out, heart wires and monitor gone too. Then home. I am feeling strong. No pain. Heart rate and blood pressure are good. People, this is not surgery to fear. It is all good.

Keeo us uodated at to when you go home. We all know you will feen better once home. You have come a long way. Way to go. Keep it up.

Now I have been in the hospital four days. Tomorrow I get my iv removed, staples out, heart wires and monitor gone too. Then home. I am feeling strong. No pain. Heart rate and blood pressure are good. People, this is not surgery to fear. It is all good.

Hear, Hear! I totally agree. I couldn't believe how easy the whole thing was. Staples? Did you get a full or mini-incision?

I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. It was discovered about fifteen years ago when I was in my late forties. I was in a bicycle accident and the ER doc found the murmur. Since then I have had regular echo cardio grams. It became clear last fall that the time had come. I travelled from Prince George BC Canada to Vancouver for an angiogram at St. Paul's hospital in January.
So, I returned to St. Paul's last week for OHS. I was in the hospital Tuesday for all of the Pre-op stuff like blooding tests, x-rays, history, etc.. Last Wednesday I reported to the surgery unit early in the morning. After changing into the surgical fine fashions I waited til it was my turn to be wheeled into the OR. Next thing I knew, I woke up in the csicu and thought, "good, I lived through it!"
I cannot recall much about the csicu. I recall the X-ray machine and that there was always a nurse present. Later that day (I think) I was taken to the cardiac surgical ward. I think my first night was a bit rough. It was hard to do the deep breathing and coughing they wanted. On day two, Thursday, they got be standing up. By Friday, I was walking, eating, and feeling up to the breathe and cough routine.
The surgeon has visited every day. The nurses have taken good care of me. After a couple of days the urine catheter was removed. Today I got rid of everything... Pacing wires, sutures, heart monitor, IV. I already lost my staples, neck IV, tubes. The only pain pills I take are tylenols. I get a variety of other meds....beta blockers, water pills, stool softeners.
I did have a full sternotomy. It only hurts when I cough and that is not much pain. I will go home soon andcthencrest up til the breast bone heals.

If walking 6 laps on day two isn't impressive enough, you can cough without much pain too. To me it felt like my chest would explode. I'm thinking you may have got some type of SuperPower from the surgery somehow.

Hope your good luck continues with the rest of your recovery.

Wow! You must have some strong mojo. I am impressed as the speed that you are recovering. Please do keep up the positive posts cause everyone still waiting for their surgery needs to hear about those positive outcomes. I wish you a continued good recovery. (ok, ok, so let us in on your secret super-hero name)

I agree that people who are reading this forum in anticipation of their own surgeries need to hear from patients who have not suffered. The good folks t St. Paul's Hospital promised to keep any pain under a level two. I am doing very well and cannot complain at all. My appetite is good. No constipation, no pain, no depression. I am aware I cannot lift or swim or drive for six weeks.
I am home now in my own bed. No need for a recliner. I took an eleven hour bus ride home. The province provides a subsidized medical bus for folks who live in the north.
Tomorrow I see my doctor. Right now I take a low dose aspirin once per day, metoprolol twice a day and regular Tylenol
As needed.

Latest posts

Back