Staying the Course -- 5-28-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Welcome one and all! STC is a place to stop by and talk about fitness, weight control, exercise, nutrition and related (or unrelated) topics. We have folks here who participated in the weight-loss "Throwdown" for the past several years. But both old-timers and newcomers are welcome here as we heart buddies strive to stay the course -- enjoying life all the way.

I have had a pretty good week. My sweet ol' senior dog Sadie struggles in the heat and humidity so we've moved some of our walking to dusk to avoid the sun beating down on us. In addition, I am alternating days of aqua workouts in the community pool and stationary biking in the community workout room. There was some Memorial Day pigging out, but I was better than in the old days when I could have been a challenger for the Nathan's Coney Island hot-dog-eating contest. Last night we went to "steak night" at our neighborhood eatery -- 12 ounce NY strip and two sides for $12.99. As usual, DW and I save enough for a second night's meal to help save both calories and $$$.

If I can stay the course with my current routine, I think I can do pretty well.

How about you? What are your STC stories? Would love to hear them.

I have been walking but the eating has been a bit out of control. I see the surgeon tomorrow and hope to be released.

The peach shake is back at Chick-fil-a ...... I'm toast :)

We were gone all week, but my activity level was high due to chasing a 14 month old grandchild around while his folks were at work. I haven't gotten on the scales, but I doubt that I did much damage to my weight loss effort. I've made my meal plans out through the weekend, so I'm feeling like I'm in control unless I encounter one of Cooker's peach milk shakes!

I'm still here, too. We've been dealing with my digestive issues (working diagnosis is IBS). Have had a "flare-up" for the last couple of months, which caused me a lot of discomfort. Saw the gastro doc on Tuesday. He stopped one med and replaced it with another, and gave me something to try to control the symptoms. I haven't needed the second med yet, and hope not to need it, as the side effects may be almost as bad as the symptoms it is to relieve.

So far, since the change, I'm feeling a lot better -- almost "normal." If I wanted to claim it, I've lost a pound or so this week, but I think that is just from the meds and random changes in meals and hydration. I'm still going to the gym after work every day, so at least I hope to remain on track. When the gastro doc asked if I had been gaining or losing weight, I told him that my weight has been stable within a 2-pound range for over 2 years. He was impressed that a guy my age could do that. . .

My STC story is that after the Kentucky Derby, and our Derby party, I shot up five pounds. I am down to 198.6, which is still up a couple pounds from my last post. I'm eating healthier now and feel like I'm in a groove. I'll report next week and find out if I can stay in the groove.

Cooker, if I get anywhere near Chik'fil-a, the strawberry shake calls my name and if I "end up" in the drive-through it's over. I can blame you partly, lol.

Well, while waiting for our small pepperoni pizza yesterday at Marcos, I ventured into Fractured Prune, a designer doughnut kind of place. Feeling not particularly creative, I just took one of their original's -- a honey glazed cinnamon creation --- wow, crazy sugary, hot, tasted great. Then I went and picked up our pizza. How's that for a meal plan? Well it was just one donut, though a decadent one, and I then ate only two slices of pizza along with a nice antipasto. But I do try to eat more sensibly than that these days -- once in a while, though, you've just got to be bad, don't you?

Along this line, the "guide for eating healthy in any restaurant" I mentioned the other day is "Eat Out, Eat Well" By Hope Warshaw, published by the American Diabetes Association. It is geared a bit to helping diabetics make good choices, but much of the info would be useful to anyone looking for ideas. It's 574 pages with lots of specific info, calorie charts, etc., much of it specific to particular restaurants. I will cite some examples when I have time.

Enjoying reading the STC reports -- Wise, I'm sure you'll regain your groove; Steve, loved hearing your doc's acknowledgement that maintenance can be an achievement for seniors; Duffey, I know about exercise from chasing grandkids around, having 3 next door -- it's work but a blessing; and Cooker, peach shakes have to be less caloric than banana pudding shakes.

Glad folks are swinging in when they can -- I'm not taking roll --- love to hear from all just whenever you can -- we are informal here -- and we have the welcome mat out for anyone who would like to join in. No membership applications or dues! Best deal in the universe.

Cheers to all…. and Mr. Chimp, hope the visit with the surgeon goes well.

Last edited:
I am constantly struggling with my weight. I have fluctuated between 195 and 247 pounds for the last decade. I have hit 195 twice. I do best when I am sticking with Weight Watchers (I am a lifetime member) and running. I have run at least 100 races from 5k to the marathon. With the recent news that I have gone from moderate stenosis to moderate/severe stenosis, I have had a hard time convincing myself to exercise. I also have been doing terribly with my diet. I am currently at 242.4 lbs I am a 6'2" male. I ran 3 miles last night at 130 beats per minute and I did push-ups, crunches, planks, and squats. I am trying to find motivation in the fact that I have my 20 year HS reunion in August and I think it will help me to be in the best shape possible when I have my AVR. This thread should be motivating as well. Next week I will be posting a much lower weight. Thanks!

Dodger Fan, I wouldn't trust Duffey's advice. I have it from the grapevine that she's a Cardinals' fan. :Face-Laugh:

Seriously, glad to have you here. I have been a weight yo-yo, too, and best I can say is that I have stabilized since taking Cardiac Rehab almost 11 years ago.

Wouldn't presume to advise you about your strenuous workouts, but if you are near the severe level of aortic stenosis, I'm wondering if your cardiologist might recommend some restrictions.

Thanks for the welcome! It helps for me to know that I can share positive results next week.

I am watching the Dodgers and Cardinals right now. We barely made it out of the first inning.

My cardiologist said that he is okay with me doing the 2 half marathons at Disneyland (Disneyland Half and Marvel's Avengers Half) I have already paid for in August and November. He wants me to keep my pace at 11:30 or slower and drink at every water station. He said he wants me to keep running but keep it under 10k after that. He said that I could work on running fast 5ks, but to be honest, I am kind of afraid to try to go fast. I have some double beats that he says are not dangerous. I don't like them though. I've worn a heart rate monitor for years (unrelated to my BAV, stenosis, and regurgitation) to plan and analyze my workouts. Most of my running is at 130 beats per minute, which is nowhere near strenuous.

Did an exercise stress test as required by the cardiac rehab program I'm entering. Did well, made my target heart rate of 131 with no problems. Hope to start actual rehab sessions soon. As I may have written before, my 24 hour Holter was negative for Afib so my cardio said I could stop the amio and in three weeks warfarin in the absence of any symptoms like fatigue, palpitations, etc. So things are going well physically at three months post-op. Still dealing with some mental issues...mild depression. Weight control is going well also. I'm at about 190, down a little probably due to increased summertime activity and less eating/appetite in the warmer weather. I like reading the posts here in Superbob's new forum...seems like it's already a success!

Jim

Jim, sounds like things are indeed going well at three months post-op. Hopefully cardiac rehab will lift your spirits (if needed) as well as your fitness level. I know I mentioned before that I really enjoyed mine. Helped me mentally as much as physically.

Dodger Fan sounds like you've got a good handle on keeping the running at a sensibly strenuous level. I was a runner too back in the day. Now in my eighth decade, I am still an avid walker (with some biking and swimming too) -- have had a total knee replacement, so running is no longer permitted for me. But I am pro-running; I relish the years I had doing that -- lots of 5Ks, even a few marathons….

And I was just kidding with my reference about Duffey -- actually Duffey and I are BOTH Cardinals' fanatics. But we fully welcome the Dodger blue here. It's been a great baseball rivalry for many decades and no doubt will continue to be.

Cheers...

Yes, I am a Redbird addict, but the Dodgers are a fine team except when playing the Cardinals.:) Jim, looking back at the AVR experience, I was probably depressed for almost a year. I didn't realize it until it was over. I think it often goes with the territory.

Have said it in other forms of social media, but noting and cheering our Duffey's birthday again -- while also relieving her of duty of being the last poster here. I have it from an informed source that she had a happy celebration with a yummy dessert.

Superbob himself had sea scallops, kale, sweet corn, tomatoes and strawberries yesterday -- all purchased from local farmers and seafood markets and then cooked up just right in our kitchen.

Have lots to do here at the computer this morning, but trying to talk myself into putting on swimsuit and going to the community pool.. I know I need the exercise, and it is WAY too hot and humid to take the sweet ol' Sadie Superdawg out for a walk. Will try to get in a few blocks for her at sunset.

Cheers,

STC Superbob

Whaddup, STCers? I had every intention of alternating outdoor pool exercise with indoor exercise biking this week. Had gorgeous day Monday and I worked out in the pool and my back felt better than it has in weeks. Since then, though, we have been caught in a soggy mass or mess -- intermittent thunderstorms, not recommended for outdoor pooling -- so I am going with the indoor biking. Food intake -- okay, just have to watch my late-night snacking.

Will start a new week's thread mañana. Thanks for the interest you all have shown in our follow-on to Cooker's Throwdown. Cooker, aka Mr. Chimp, will forever be the Founding Father of our merry band of down throwers and course stayers. :Smile:

SuperBina popping in here to say "HI."
Sun is shining and the temps are warming up nicely again. Hated having the furnace on last night, I don't remember EVER having the furnace on in the month of June.
Oh well, I better make sure to get some sun exposure today to compensate for my hostile feelings towards the cold night.
I can bring my snack of raisins outside to share with the goats....yeah.....that sounds like a good plan.

Hi SuperBina -- It is always a good day when you stop by to say hi! I actually love cool or (fairly) cold weather -- which might suggest I am living in the wrong place on the globe. But actually I love it here in the Palmetto State -- just have to be careful when the heat and humidity get extreme. Sometime I am going to motor to the South Carolina upstate and sample the cool mountains thereabouts.

Are goats good with raisins? I suppose they can handle almost any kind of food. I read somewhere that raisins are bad for dogs so I try to make sure Sadie and Dasher on his visits don't get into them.

Latest posts

Back