Splitting 2mg Coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elcarim

I am on a dose that alternates between 3 and 4mg, so usually I take a 1mg and a 2mg on the 3 days and two 2mg on the 4 days. But when I ran out of 1mg tablets last week I discovered that my prescription was out of date so i couldn't get any more.
I am two weeks from my next INR and GP visit, so I for the last few days I have been taking one and a half 2mg tabs on the 3mg days. Is this likely to cause a problem? The tablets split very easily and evenly, I was surprised.
I would hope that the 2mg Coumadin contain twice as much warfarin as the 1mg Coumadin, but I once tried using Marevan 3mg tablets in place of 1mg and 2mg Coumadin and my INR fell dramatically (I was on 3mg per day at that point).
Should I get onto my GP for another prescription of the 1mg, or will splitting be safe enough to get me to my next scheduled appointment?

I'd call your doc's nurse or even better the pharmacist where it was filled. They'd know best. Maybe call two pharmacists just for redundancy and double the assurance.

Thanks Ross, that is what I was hoping :)

I think I will talk to my GP about just working off the 2mgs if this works alright and see if I can get a larger supply so I don't have to go the the dispensary every three weeks.

Coumadin, or warfarin, tablets are scored. Any tablet that is scored can be broken and the dose will be half-strength. Having the fewest number of Rx bottles around lessens the chance of grabbing the wrong bottle.;) Your idea of working off the 2s is a good solution. I have worked off 5s for many years. That gives me a dosage range of 0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5 or 10.0. as needed....out of one bottle.:)

I bought a pill splitter at the Dollar store. Im on 4mg 4X a week and 6mg 3X a week. They just told me to split the 4s rather than having two containers. I guess some folks have issues when having multiple containers and end up taking the wrong dosage. I took a Sharpie and simply put a big ol 4 on top of the cap so I know what the dosage is. I also resigned myself to using a pill box.

Jodie I split mine all the time too...I have never had a problem with Marevan...I prefer to take the exact same dose every day if I can so split up my pills ...My Doctor said to take 5 mg and 6 mg alternately so I split the difference and take 5.5mg daily.

I also alternate between 3 and 4 mg pills.

That allows me to adjust anywhere from 21 to 28 mg/week while taking only ONE pill per day (i.e. minimizes my cost per day).

I too wrote 3 and 4 on the appropriate bottle Caps and use a 7 day pill box AND record my doses on a 31 day table listing all of my meds. I still forget an evening dose a few times a year. If I catch it the next morning, I just take the missed dose that morning and continue my regular dosing schedule.

'AL Capshaw'

My INR was 2.6 at my test last Friday, so steady (was 2.5 at the previous test).

But my GP wants me to keep on using the 1mg tablets as he said that splitting was 'not as accurate'.

I smiled and nodded, he put the script for the 1mg on the same page as the script for 2mg, so next time I stock up I will get both.

But I won't stress in future if I run out of 1mg again.

I understand why your doc says "splitting is not as accurate," he is referring to the times when a pill may not split exactly down the center line; but with a 1 mg pill, that dose difference would be incredibly negligible. Now with a higher dose pill, like an 8 mg, if you did not split that exactly in half, you could end up with a dosing variance that would be more noticeable.
You are doing just fine!

If you had Rx's for 3 and 4 mg tablets you would only need ONE PILL per day which keeps your COST down.

Having 3 and 4 mg tablets allows you to set your weekly dose anywhere from 21 mg to 28 mg with only ONE tablet per day merely by changing the allocation (preferably in a 7 day pill box).

Sounds like your doctor is assuming that Coumadin is fast acting. Whenever I have to split a pill, I just take the other 1/2 the next time I take that dose.

I seem to need .5 a lot and I split my 1mg Coumadin all the time, my doctor is the one that told me it is ok to split.

Jeff.

I do take half the split tablet on one day and my next 3mg dose I take the other half, so I get an even dosage over the course of a few days.

As far as I know where I live we can get 1,2,5 or 10mg Coumadin, so we have to work within that limitation.

Latest posts

Back