Sorin Perceval S Aortic Valve Now in U.S. Trials

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mentu

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
My surgery was performed at Oklahoma Heart Institu
Already available in Europe, the "Sorin Perceval S" valve has begun trials in the U.S. Its first use was announced on 15 January, 2014 at the Heart Hospital of Austin.

http://bionews-tx.com/news/2014/01/15/cardiothoracic-vascular-surgeons-complete-first-texas-implant-perceval-s-self-anchoring-aortic-heart-valve/

It is described as:

"The Perceval S is a surgical aortic valve with a unique self-anchoring frame which enables the surgeon to replace the diseased valve without suturing it into place. It is comprised of a functional component made of bovine pericardium fixed in a super-elastic alloy frame. This unique frame design is characterized by two ring segments which are specially designed to match the anatomy of the sinus and thus to allow the anchoring of the prosthesis to the aortic root. Perceval S provides minimal transvalvular gradient due to an optimal ratio between internal and external device diameter. The system features a stentless aortic pericardial valve that has been implanted in more than 10,000 patients with proven durability and optimal hemodynamics.

The Perceval S valve is designed to replace both native aortic valves and other aortic prosthetic devices, and designed to enable the surgeon to use minimally invasive techniques when implanting the valve, which has the potential to significantly cut down on time in the operating room. Minimally invasive surgery has been shown to reduce patient time under anaesthesia and post-operative complications."

You can read more about it at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23713960

http://www.sorin.com/product/perceval-s

Advancements left, right and centre.

I took my mother to see a sleep physician, last week. She just happened to be the medical director of one of Adelaide's major hospitals. Mum has mild Aortic Stenosis, so the topic of valve replacement was brought up. She told me that TAVI is progressing in leaps and bounds. There are people being followed-up who are doing great, even after 7 years. (We need to remember that these guys are all elderly, who would've been deemed 'inoperable'.) I just thought I would share this experience, for what it's worth.

That is another very promising development. I hope I don't need another valve replacement, but if I do, I'd hope things like this could be on the option list at that time.

Hi!

I am under the impression that there are much more advances related to aortic artificial valves than with mitral ones. One obvious reason is that, nowadays, defective mitral valves can be succesfully repaired in a high percentaje of cases. But there are still many cases where a mitral valve replacement is needed (either because the valve is beyond repair or because the surgeon does not have the necessary skill to repair it). Is it just a false impression of my part or development of better prosthetic mitral valves is effectively trailing compared with aortic ones?

Latest posts

Back