Son having AVR Feb 4

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekzmom

My son, 15, has a BAV and is having an AVR Feb 4. (critical stenosis with gradient of 100+, throwing PVC's constantly and failing a NST) Unfortunately the Ross isn't possible due to previous surgeries, the tissue being compromised due to scaring, patches that have been previously placed and a goofy coronary artery placement. I know that he is getting a St Jude, the in's and out's of anticoagulation, the difficulty of the surgery due to his heart being fused to his sternum from past OHS (3), the fact that they have to get him on by pass before they can hope his chest.. but one thing I thought of today... and I don't know if anyone might be able to help or know the answer to my question, but what if they get in and can't replace the valve? Then what? Has anyone every heard of this happening?

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

Thanks

Allison

Derek 29/05/98 AV Canal repair, Subaortic stenosis repair x 2, Co-arctation of the aorta, PDA ligation

Thanks guys, Allison is a VERY good friend of mine and has been or years. I think Derek was about 6 when we "met"

Allison I wouldn't really worry about that, I am sure they have plans A-Z and if for some weird reason I cant imagine, they cant get that valve in they will keep working until they come up w/ a solution. I have NEVER heard of that happening tho. For example I know it is Justin's pulm valve and not his aortic but for Justin's 5th OHS, for a couple reasons they did not want to put his new valve where it "should" be, so they used a section of conduit off the ventricle and then put the valve hre and then another section of conduit like they normally would to his pulm artery. These CHD surgeons are not only skilled surgeons , but are artists that can pretty much rebuild anything needed from valves and dacron and gortex right there as they see what exactly they have to work with.

I know it is so very hard not to pour over the what ifs, but PLEASE dont beat yourself up trying to think of everything that could possibly go wrong put your thoughts to the faith you have in not only Derek's team of doctors that have so much experience with complex REDOs , but also in what a strong amazing fighter Derek has proven he is over and over. Lean on your friends, weve been there.

I have never heard of a surgeon not being able to replace a valve. Valve replacement is very common and I think routine for an experienced cardio thoracic surgeon. With your son's history surely you want an experienced surgeon but I can't imagine the Dr. not being able to replace the valve. As far as the Ross, it is a complicated procedure and so has the potential for some pretty serious complications. Based on my limited knowledge of it I think your son is probably better off without it. There are many on this site living very full lives with mechanical valves and blood thinners.

Hi Allison,

Being a dad I can empathise with you fears. I'll tell you what I would do: I'd ring the surgeon's rooms and pour my heart out to his secretary. Tell her it would mean a lot to you if you could talk to the surgeon. If you do get through, get straight to the point and tell him you're scared. I'm sure he'll put your mind at ease. Write your questions down.

Latest posts

Back