So now I know what has been happening.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko2011

I have been in the Emergency Department for the last 12 hours, after collapsing at home when i woke up this morning. I have new atrial fibrillation and fast at that. I was very poorly indeed and grateful to be in safe hands. Cardiology appt, on Tuesday. Today has been a massive wake up call for me, and it's now time to make serious plans to fix my heart before it is too late. I knew something was happening to me and thank to God I am still bloody well here.

Interesting! I had +/- exactly the same experience 3 weeks AFTER my AVR! 150 bpm, high blood sugar, weak in the knees (crumpled onto the bathroom floor), then an ambulance ride to the ER. Calcium channel blocker got my HR down, and helped turn a-fib into "mere" a-flutter. And I went home with an Rx for metoprolol (which I probably should have been on all along -- long story, told elsewhere).

I've been struck by the similarity between my own symptoms pre-op and post-op. For different reasons, of course -- and my life expectancy and prognosis have hugely changed for the better. But I was just developing symptoms pre-op, which are pretty close to what I've got now as I slowly regain CV fitness. And your episode pre-op sounds remarkably like mine post-op, too! I hope you escape the post-op version, though you should be in good hands then, if it does happen.

Hi, Mark, I for one would encourage you make your plans sooner rather than later. When the problems with the valve become officially serious, the potential for developing other health issues can increase rapidly. Take care of your self now and you can spend your time recovering instead of dreading what may happen next week.

Larry

Hi, Mark, I for one would encourage you make your plans sooner rather than later. When the problems with the valve become officially serious, the potential for developing other health issues can increase rapidly. Take care of your self now and you can spend your time recovering instead of dreading what may happen next week.

Larry

VERY sound advice ....you may want to discuss if an ICD may be called for

Sorry you have so much trouble with the NHS. I have found the service to be very good here in the North East. Hope you get your problems sorted soon

David

Thank you all for your replies.
I cannot stop shaking at the minute and feel rather wobbly. Especially when getting up. I feel very different, and my blood pressure ( I have to keep a diary at the minute ) is 177/49 and I hope it will pick up a bit. It's normally around 180/110 this time of evening before i take my meds. Day and a bit to go before I see my cardiologist, hopefully something can be sorted for me.

Thank you Kathy,
I had another episode in the night which woke me up, well i woke up wheezing and soaked in sweat, went to the bathroom and blew into a syringe I've been given and it went within about 10 minutes i think, it was the middle of the night. I dunno what's happening really, is my valve deteriorating that quickly ? Do other people have this problem ? am I going to die in my sleep ? I'm not ready for that to happening, though as long as it doesn't hurt, very very odd place to be in, i'm not scared, very emotional though, an inside quietness. Dunno.

Hi Marko,

I'm sorry to hear you are having such problems, but, may I just ask how long ago did you had your last echo? Your night sweats and wheezing could potentially be a symptom of anxiety. You sound like you're ruminating on your symptoms and perhaps, you're amplifying them.

How old are you, if I may ask?

One more thing, if you're in London, may I suggest you go to the Royal Brompton and Harefield hospital for advice. They are one of the leading heart institutes in UK.

Everything is in hand. This is a problem for me now, I am ruminating about nothing, and amplifying even less, I will not be told this is anxiety driven any longer. I have fast AF and that is that, pure and simple. I know why I have been feeling so unwell, and how AF can make you feel. Full stop mate.

Bit of an update, so I have Paroxsysmal fast AF/Flutter,and probably have had it for a good number of months. My bicuspid valve is just about holding it's own, though the presence of AF now, according to my amazing docs, means my disease is progressing much quicker than they'd like. I have Fleicannide "pill in a pocket" approach to take at the onset of symptoms or go into AF, as flutter comes before AF. I have full instructions but until i know the drug works for sure i will call an ambulance as i become acutely unwell immediately. The hospital have reassured me so much, and everyone who took care of me throughout all 8 hours of tests were completely fantastic. I am so relieved that someone has finally had the heart to listen to me and get to the root of my symptoms and their cause, i know my body so well, and i trust them with it completely now. All this crap about being overly anxious is exactly that, not being listened to and judged is in fact what has been of greatest concern to me. My heart is diseased, the symptoms are because of that FULL STOP !!!! I am getting the best treatment, no cost spared, timely, and tailored to my needs. I hope those that have read my posts can take something from my experiences thus far, and for those who have raised their eyebrows at any perceived malingering, I do hope that at all times through whatever unique and individual disease process you may be experiencing, you feel you are listened to and are getting the best care possible. I'm taking time out and will post again once I have had my surgery and recovered. Peace out guys.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Hi, Mark-
Glad you got a diagnosis and treatment. I"ve been battling afib/aflutter the last 3 weeks (started 2 weeks post op). It is not fun and really does make you feel jittery. My doc said that it also triggers adrenaline when you are young which only adds to the problems. My HR was ramping up to 220 when I checked in to hospital for treatment. If I had the old valve, I probably would have been on the floor, too.

Wishing you much success with the surgery!

Whoopsy.

Whoopsy.

Well it was gonna happen at some point, I felt faint getting out the shower and smacked my face on the radiator. I was showering and suddenly felt my heart racing like mad and very irregular, turned off the shower, opened the glass door to get out, and thwack.

Perhaps singing to my nuts off to Kylie was not such a good idea ???

AF like the Middle East, is so unpredictable...

Latest posts

Back