So far ablation a success...off of Coumadin in 12 days and counting

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan B

So far my catheter ablation has been a great success (knock on wood). They wheeled me into the cath room with my heart rate at 125-130 and wheeled me out with it at 70-75. It's been very consistent in the mid to high 70's which is about 5bpm below what my "normal" rate usually is. I have been on Coumadin since 5/12 because they found a clot in my heart when doing a TEE before they were going to do a cardioversion which they had to abort. After the ablation I have had to stay on it for 6 weeks. I have 12 more days and I can stop the Coumadin. I can honestly say that taking it has been no big deal at all. My INR has been pretty stable on the high end (or slightly higher) of the range they want me in (2-3), and the only thing I've missed is being able to take my Advil or Alleve for my aches and pains from a moderate arthritic back/hip and the headaches I had when first starting on Synthroid. Those headaches have subsided but I can definitely tell that my lower back/hip misses the nsaid's.

Having the "opportunity" to take Coumadin for 3 months might even make the decision between mechanical and tissue valve easier if and when that time comes. I'm not a big fan of Lovenox though. Giving myself the shots are not a big deal (I'm better at it than the nurses and it's basically painless). It's the bruising that I don't like. But then again that's been a short time issue until I get in range which seems not to be a problem for me.

Thanks everyone. Now the big hurdle...getting financial assistance for my recent and future horrific medical bills. I've officially applied for SS disability and medicaid. Not holding my breath on the SS disability, but if I was still accepted for medicaid that could save me from a lifetime of financial pain. It would also free up the opportunity to go ahead and get my aortic root, ascending aorta, and possibly (but hopefully not) my aortic valve replaced. Then I could go back to work (if I can find a job in this economy) and become independent again. Nothing I can do now but wait around for the verdict(s). But at least I feel much better than I have for the last few months and for that I'm grateful. I'm also glad to have had the opportunity to be on Coumadin for almost 3 months...kind of like a free trial, so now I know it will not be a determining factor if/when I need to make a decision on what type of valve to get.

Good to hear that you are doing better Bryan!

And best of luck with SS Disability.....you may have to resort to hiring an attorney to help you with your claim.

Back