Small hard lumps along scar? Any ideas?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duds

I am 3 months post op for pulmonarvy valve replacement (repair after first surgery for pulmonary stenosis 35+ yrs ago) and have noticed three small hard lumps along the scar. One is located near the top of the scar, another towards the middle and a third near the bottom. I was wondering if this might just be where the bones have healed, or whether they might be wires, or something else. It does not hurt to touch them, it just feels strange. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thanks in advance for your guidance.:confused:

I have a not so small knot at the top (bone) ... It is smaller than right after surgery but it is there... never hurt ... my scar / incision sight changed a great deal from 3 months to a year and after four years I think it is what it is and has quit changing ... bone or wire, if it is not inflamed or hurting I would not be concerned.

When I saw a surgeon 6 weeks post op for a problem I was having (not the surgeon who did my surgery) he told me that he ties off his sutures at the top, middle and bottom of the incision, so what you may be feeling are those knots in the sutures. As long as they aren't red and inflamed, you are probably fine and they may disappear with time.

Duds in GTA, welcome!
It sounds like you have found your sternal wires. Since I am thin, I have several that are bumpy and frustrating. ;)

Me too Bina. Well I have one protrusion on the scar, but it does hurt when pressed and when I twist my body. It definitely feels and looks like a wire. Grr. lol.

This is a normal raction to any broken bone. My chest is knobbly too but it is no problem. There is a medical term for the extra growth but I can't remember it, I asked my doc what the lumps were and that is what I was told.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks a 1,000,000 for all your quick replies I really appreciate your input. It's the openness and sense of sharing that makes this forum so great! Merci beaucoup and best wishes to you all.

Lisa ;D

I am 15 months out from surgery. For the first 3-6 months my scar was pretty flat with no obvious bumps. Since then I have developed a couple of bumps and a short length of what I believe is referred to a keloid scarring where the scar tissue is a bit raised. The top bump is about half way down the scar, there is an inch or so gap and then about an inch and a half of keloid scar, then another inch gap and a bigger bump. The keloid scar does not seem to ba attached to bone as I can push it around. The lower bump also is not attached to bone but does feel like it might be a suture knot below the surface. Generally they don't bother me other than occaisionally being a bit itchy. My doctor says nothing to worry about but if I am bothered by the keloid bit I could look in to plastic surgery. As long as they are not bothering you I don't think there is a problem, but ask your doctor.
Cameron

Hi Cameron,

Mine are definitely hard and I can't move them around. I am leaning towards sternal wires...they dont hurt so i'm not too worried.

Immediately postop I didn't have a clue what was going on and I didn't touch or look at my scar.
My incicsion "bumps" are now very obviously sternal wires and I can even see the knots on a couple of them.
Gross or Cool.....the jury is still out on this. ;)
Anyway, I asked the surgeon's office for the summary report of my surgery and it specified 7 sternal wires (twist ties).

I had my sternal wires removed, and twist ties is exactly what they look like. They are just plain wire with the ends twisted and folded to be fairly flat on the sternum. Before having them removed you could actually see the bumps, and I had pretty severe pain. I had all 9 removed and I do not have any more lumps along my scar, except for the small area of keloid scar. I still have some aches a pains, but no more extreme sensitivity.

About a year ago we had a VR member post their chest x-ray pic and it very clearly showed the wires with the twisted ends. I wish I could remember who posted that x-ray, it was really cool. Anyway, if I could wake up one morning with these stupid wires gone, I would be a happy gal.

Latest posts

Back