Slow Heart Rate

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRiordan29

Hello Everyone,

I had a BAV that was replaced in 2006 with a CE bovine tissue valve. Had been doing well for the last several years and maintained an active lifestyle. Lately though I've been feeling rundown and occasionally even lightheaded.

I went to my cardio yesterday for an EKG and he told me that my heart rate was 48 bpm (I'm usually closer to 70 bpm). They put a holter monitor on me for 24 hours and sent me for some blood tests to try to rule out endocarditis, lyme and a few other things that might slow my heart rate.

I'm really worried that it's endocarditis and that my valve might be compromised. I haven't had any other symptoms recently other than what I described above. However, back in May I went to the Dominican Republic and drank half a glass of local water before even realizing what I was doing. I did get sick and had stomach problems and some flu like symptoms for about 1.5 days. I recovered quickly and had no more symptoms after that but am now kicking myself for not going to the doctor right when I came home (especially because I remember being very worried about my valve at the time).

I don't want to rush to judgment because I am still awaiting the results of the blood tests but I can't escape the feeling that I brought this on myself by not getting it looked at back in May. Could I have had the infection for the last few months without have any symptoms other than what I felt for that first day or 2? Is it common for people to acquire BE from bacteria in drinking water?

I have no answers but just wanted to say I've got my fingers crossed for you, I've been obsessed with knowing everything there is to know about endocarditis since my surgery. From what I've read it is usually caused by bacteria that are already in and on you. First most common way is dental work, second gastrointestinal surgeries, then staph or strep bacterias. Did you have a fever for at least 48 hours that time you got sick? And remember not all bacteria can cause endocarditis and of course it would have to get into your blood stream. It seems the probability that you got BE from drinking water is not high.

If it helps ease your mind my resting heart rate used to be 100bpm it has gradually over the past 7 weeks since surgery now is at a resting 65. It has gone even lower if you don't count the PVCs. They say is the remodeling.

Have they done an echo?

Hello Everyone,
I don't want to rush to judgment because I am still awaiting the results of the blood tests but I can't escape the feeling that I brought this on myself by not getting it looked at back in May. Could I have had the infection for the last few months without have any symptoms other than what I felt for that first day or 2? Is it common for people to acquire BE from bacteria in drinking water?

No. Endocarditis is most often caused by strep or staph and all of us have strep and staph bacteria on us; it's pretty much everywhere. I wondered if I got it from traveling when I had it 20 years ago, and ID doc assured me not. Sometimes an infection can be caused by other organisms such as yeast or fungus, but that's not common.

You could have sub-acute endocarditis, which means you've had it several months and most likely you would have had a fever, chills and felt ill most all of that time. If you'd been that sick since May, you probably wouldn't have had the energy to type a post.

What you need now to determine if you have it are blood cultures.

Matt,

If you do not have other symptoms, I doubt it is endocarditis. Symptoms of endocarditis show after two weeks from being infected.
I am not a doctor, but I remember while I was doing rehab and felt pain in my chest and left arm, the nurse sent me to my doctor to check the symptoms. My doctor asked me to bend down and asked me if I pain increased which did not and asked me if I had any pain in my chest collar. Luckily, my symptoms were due to rehab and I had to go slower.

How athletic are you? I hear that though the normal is 60-100 bpm, good athletes' heart may beat less than 60 bpm. :)

I agree with Luana. To give you more of peace-of-mind, here is something about endocarditis from webmd: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/tc/endocarditis-symptoms

"Vague, flu-like symptoms, such as a low-grade fever and fatigue, often occur first. But infection with a powerful strain of bacteria may cause symptoms to be more severe (such as a high fever) and to appear much faster, within a few days..........

Symptoms include:

Chills and fever.
Fatigue.
Weight loss.
Night sweats.
Painful joints.
Persistent cough and shortness of breath......"

Are you taking any medications other than Aspirin, as stated in your profile?!

Hopefully it's just a low heart rate! My son's runs around 60 which is very low for his age (he's 9). It should be up in the 80+ range. He had a holter done last year and it ran in the 60-70 range the whole time. It makes me a bit concerned but he's always said to go by how Gabe feels. If he's not weak, discolored, or seeming off in any way it's probably just his normal. He did mention that sometimes conduction in the heart is damaged and it causes slower heart beats. It's good your getting it checked but it may just be a new normal for you (though an alarming thing).

Does your slow heart beat feel like a pounding, or is it normal feeling. A couple months after surgery I went in and out of a 40bpm sinus. Mine was an electrical glitch.

I have no answers but just wanted to say I've got my fingers crossed for you, I've been obsessed with knowing everything there is to know about endocarditis since my surgery. From what I've read it is usually caused by bacteria that are already in and on you. First most common way is dental work, second gastrointestinal surgeries, then staph or strep bacterias. Did you have a fever for at least 48 hours that time you got sick? And remember not all bacteria can cause endocarditis and of course it would have to get into your blood stream. It seems the probability that you got BE from drinking water is not high.

If it helps ease your mind my resting heart rate used to be 100bpm it has gradually over the past 7 weeks since surgery now is at a resting 65. It has gone even lower if you don't count the PVCs. They say is the remodeling.

Have they done an echo?

Not sure if I had a fever but I did have some body aches, stomach issues and went back and forth between having chills and feeling hot. It probably lasted about 48 hours. They haven't done an echo yet. I'm supposed to see the doctor on Tuesday for the results of the blood cultures and to discuss the results from the holter monitor.

Eva, I'm in pretty good shape but not that good. My resting heart rate is usually in the low to mid 60's and my cardio said that during my EKG it was much lower than it usually is. In addition I've been feeling lethargic, weak and lightheaded lately which is definitely not normal. The only other medications are singulair and a nasal spray but my cardio knows about those and does not think they would affect my heart rate.

Todd, my heart beat doesn't feel any different to me the only sign that anything was that I've been lethargic and lightheaded over the last few weeks.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Back