Sleeping on your side, post-surgery?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still jumping from couch to chaise to bed with pillows, to sitting at dining room table posting until I land somwhere hugging a pillow....next will be the floor...lol....

I was unable to sleep flat on the bed for almost 6 months as I had complications mostly to do with my lungs. The hospital provided me with a sort of half deckchair type contraption for my bed at home to enable me to sleep sitting up. I gradually lowered it over time until I was able to lie flat.

It was just the most amazing feeling when I could finally sleep on my side - unaided :D

I also find it easier to sleep on my right side than my left as it is quieter in my chest and I can get to sleep quicker!

Hmmm.... I just had a thought.

I wonder if there is any link between those who had mechanical valve replacements and have difficulty sleeping on one or both sides

or

people that had a tissue valve replacement or valve repair and report they are able to sleep on one or both sides.

Any chance there is a connection?

Karl,
I was such a side sleeper that I did it while I was still in the hospital. I was about 3 days post op, but I couldnt sleep on my back anymore due to fibromyalgia pain, and I knew I would feel better on my side, so after the tube was out, and most of my IVs, to the left side I went. The trick was lie on your side (left is better). Put your right arm around your waist like you are relaxing. Put your head on the pillow back so far that you almost have your head in the position that it would be if you were on your back. Bend knees, keeping legs together. PM me and maybe I can explain it better.

I have been managing well on my side the last few nights now. I have a pillow behind me and a smaller one in front so I don't tip over on my stomach. I sleep throughout the night with one bathroom break, and find myself varying between full side and halfway on my back (limited by the pillow in the back). My lower back is pretty sore in the morning, but improves once I get up and start moving about.

Colleen, I just read your post this morning, but it sounds like that's how I like to position myself as well (except on my right side). Thanks :)

Left side sleeping

Left side sleeping

It's been a year now since my aortic valve 'fix', but I'm still uncomfortable sleeping, or even prolonged pressure on my left side. After about 3 or 4 minutes, it feels like the pressure inside my chest builds up, not a pleasant feeling at all. It's almost like my heart is yelling "turn the hell over!." I know my heart was enlarged before surgery, I'm wondering if it just takes a long time for the size to get back to normal. Anyone else uncomfortable for this long?

Hmmm.... I just had a thought.

I wonder if there is any link between those who had mechanical valve replacements and have difficulty sleeping on one or both sides

or

people that had a tissue valve replacement or valve repair and report they are able to sleep on one or both sides.

Any chance there is a connection?
JKM7, I have two mechanical valves and was able to sleep on my side (half way) from the very first night after surgery, with pillows behind my back to support me from not rolling on my back flat.

I have been managing well on my side the last few nights now. I have a pillow behind me and a smaller one in front so I don't tip over on my stomach. I sleep throughout the night with one bathroom break, and find myself varying between full side and halfway on my back (limited by the pillow in the back)....

Very good strategy, which works for me too!

It's been a year now since my aortic valve 'fix', but I'm still uncomfortable sleeping, or even prolonged pressure on my left side. After about 3 or 4 minutes, it feels like the pressure inside my chest builds up, not a pleasant feeling at all. It's almost like my heart is yelling "turn the hell over!." I know my heart was enlarged before surgery, I'm wondering if it just takes a long time for the size to get back to normal. Anyone else uncomfortable for this long?

Tom,
Try Karl's strategy, which I happen to use too and helps me sleep better on my side. As for the size,it depends if enlargement is reversible and the heart muscle's elasticity...if so, with exercise and time, your hearts muscle will shrink again. I am going next week to my cardio hoping my heart's muscle has shrunk somehow. Will let you know, as next week will be my first valversary! (I am hoping it did shrink a bit!)

Latest posts

Back