Sleeping in a bed soon?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartman77

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
HI all.....I wanted to ask some of those ahead of me in the recovery process......how long before you think it is safe to sleep in a bed? Ive been sleeping in a recliner since surgery and don't want to try our bed before its safe and wont put strain or pressure on my unhealed sternum. I know it takes about 12 weeks for the sternum bone to naturally fuse back together and heal and I don't want to do anything to delay healing or interfere with a nice straight fusion of the bones. I'm only at 2 weeks and 3 days as of now and I appreciate any of your opinions. Thanks all and stay well..........Michael

Many people sleep in their own bed, often with extra pillows, the first night home. It isn't unsafe to sleep in your bed, just don't put alot of pressure on your arms/chest getting out,
many people just find it more comfortable to sleep and get in and out of a recliner.

I was one of those recliner people. But that was a matter of choice and comfort, not medical necessity. As Lyn said, many folks find a way with extra pillows and whatnot to find a comfortable sleeping/resting setup in bed soon after surgery. I just found it a lot easy to nap and navigate in a recliner. But it is not a safety issue. However, I did find it easier to get up and down from a recliner without using my arms much to lift.

I was one of those people that slept in my bed the first night I was home. The recliner for me came in handy during the day but if I wanted to get any decent rest I was in my bed.

With both my OHS, I came home from the hospital, piled a bunch of pillows on our bed and from the first night home, slept in our bed. We have a recliner in our family room but I never got into during either of my recoveries.

I got a collection of pillows in different sizes and firmnesses and adjusted each night to suit my comfort.
Second surgery, within about a week or maybe ten days, I was just sleeping with the normal pillows I always use with no extras.

Had my surgery on Monday, home by Thursday and slept in my own bed that night. I did have to sleep on my back and did require 2 pillows to keep my head propped up slightly. Learning how to get out is the hardest part. I have learned to roll to the outside and use my elbows and have not had any issues.

you be the Judge

you be the Judge

The best person to answer your question is you. You've probably noted that everyone seems to have a different answer. That's simply because everyone is different. Despite having a really easy recovery and rehab, I couldn't get comfortable in bed for several months. Others had no problem climbing into bed their first night home from the hospital. I felt better and rested better by propping myself up on the sofa with pillows.

You'll know when you can sleep in bed.

-Philip

Michael, I thought I was all set because I have an electric lift/recliner chair and I wouldn't even have to work to get out of it BUT one sleepless nite in it and I went back to my bed with lots of pillows and was so much more comfortable but I guess each one has a different experience and you'll just have to figure out how you make out the best. Hubby got booted out to another room; I wasn't going to take a chance of him hitting me in my incision!

Best wishes in your recovery!!

Slept in my own with lots of pillows to sit me up first couple of days then back to my normal 2.
I'm at 7 weeks and starting to sleep on my side and loving it . Everyone is different see how you feel . I found it helps if you hug yourself as you stand up when your getting out of bed. Keeps your hands away from the bed .
Heal well.

Michael,
Not sure why you would consider bed as unsafe, as your bed is likely not so different from a hospital bed.
The only difference is you may require pillows to prop up at home initially especially if still coughing.
Adopting the bed soon will allow you better rest and as well will allow you to separate day from night to more quickly get back to routine.
Yes you may need to tuck and roll out of it for a few days.
Gil

I slept in a bed from Day 1. During the first couple of weeks I used an extra pillow and had another one on the side but never had any issues. I began sleeping on my side after about 2 weeks as I used the side pillow to prop myself up. I had bought a recliner a year or two ago with the idea that I might need it for post-surgery purposes but I have never slept in it. I suppose that everyone's experience is different, getting sleep is the most important thing we can do in recovery and if sleeping in the recliner enables you to sleep and the bed does not, stick with the recliner for now.

Gonna test mine out tonigh (it 4am and I'm searching for a place that's comfortable) have a tempertic but it is too high off the ground and getting into bed is very difficult Think I'll try the recliner (for medical science):)

I slept in a bed right away BUT HEED THESE STERNAL WARNINGS as copied from the University of Wisconsin

-Do not lift more than 8 pounds. (A gallon of milk weighs 8 pounds.)
-Do not push or pull with your arms when moving in bed and getting out of bed.
-Do not flex or extend your shoulders over 90°.
-Avoid reaching too far across your body.
-Avoid twisting or deep bending.
-Do not hold your breath during activity.
-Brace your chest when coughing or sneezing. This is vital during the first 2 weeks at home.
-No driving.
-Avoid long periods of over the shoulder activity.
-If you feel any pulling or stretching in your chest, stop what you are doing. Do not repeat the motion that caused this feeling.
-Report any clicking or popping noise around your chest bone to your surgeon right away.

This as I said is copied from the university site
Keep a pillow handy at all times for coughing sneezing and laughing

Latest posts

Back