Should I say about my little hear condition during an interview ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing my job and was wondering whether I should say anything that I have a heart valve issue that requires 6-12 monthly follow up. I'm worried that if I say something, I will not get hired on that basis, and if I don't, I will have to tell them at some point , when I start going for checkups, and they will be annoyed with me. What if I will require surgery down the line?

What's your thoughts?

No way, no how would I mention this during the hiring process. In fact, I wouldn't mention it at all. When it comes time for you to go to a checkup, take time off if you have to and go. Why would that appt. be any different than any other appt. with a Dr.?
I also don't think you should be worried about maybe, possibly needing another surgery at some date in the future. Half the people who work there may possibly need surgery in the future as well, the difference is they just don't know it yet.

No way, no how would I mention this during the hiring process. In fact, I wouldn't mention it at all. When it comes time for you to go to a checkup, take time off if you have to and go. Why would that appt. be any different than any other appt. with a Dr.?
I also don't think you should be worried about maybe, possibly needing another surgery at some date in the future. Half the people who work there may possibly need surgery in the future as well, the difference is they just don't know it yet.

I totally agree. No need for the employer to know your heart condition.

I think you are under no obligation to discuss health issues unless you are asked directly. If asked, you must tell them that you are being monitored. This is the kind of issue that would be revealed in a physical exam which many employers require or in a health survey which most insurance companies request. You cannot hide it but that doesn't mean you must volunteer the information.

Oh, heck no, and when you do need to take time off for doctor's appointments or whatever, there's no need to say anything more than you have a doctor's appointment, at least that's what it's like here, not sure if things are different in the UK.

I don't know the laws in UK but in U.S, you are under no obligation to divulge anything about your health to a perspective employer. If you need time off for a doctor's appointment, follow the protocal where you work and do as all your co-workers do when they have a doctor's appointment. Go and make no comment about it.

If you should ever require surgery in the future, you'll deal with it then, the same as all your co-workers do if they need a surgery for whatever reason. How do you know you won't need to have your appendix out (for example) before you ever need to worry about a heart surgery.

Best wishes at your new job and certainly with your doctors' appointments.

Hi Malteser,

As other have suggested unless asked i wouldn't necessarily declare it - However a few little points below for a fellow uk'er .......i work for the Home Office so slightly different but i think a lot of employer's ask for medical declarations now, if yours isn't asking you have a right to medical in confidence but i wouldn't suggest not declaring if you are asked of any medical conditions as this could bite you in the bum in the future.

However heart valve problems are recognised as a disability and the equality act 2010 covers this, although it would not be confirmed as a disability unless an employment tribunal took place they would be on dodgy ground not employing you for this reason. If they found out at a later date or you tell them they would have to look a reasonable adjustments / disability leave which could cover these check ups without taking annual leave. My job is pretty physical and volatile (prison officer) so for my safety my employers are well aware of my health issues. You have to think what job you are going to be doing and the risks involved if you take a turn for the worst or get assaulted etc, etc - if people know it could end up saving your life.

Hope the above makes some sort of sense, but you do have a disability so employers have got a legal duty to not discriminate on these grounds....good luck,

Ruth

Say nothing about it unless you have to. I was about to work for our local government here in Jersey and they made me go for a health assessment and of course I had to fill in the form honestly, it basically cost me the job as they would only give me a zero hour contract and when they were able to take on more staff I wasn't permitted to apply and then I was no longer needed so that was the end of my job. I am not suggesting that you lie, but if they don't ask don't volunteer the information.

In the US employers cannot ask you about disabilities or any health issues, even if you initiate it - don't. They can only ask you if there is anything that would prevent you from carrying out the duties of the job. Unless you are so ill at the moment you cannot work, this is not relevant at all.

Thank you everyone for all your replies, I'm only an accountant, so they should not do a health assessment prior to an interview, also, as most of you said, so many might need surgery, or have my condition, not different from me ever needing surgery one day.

Anyways, may I also ask for your prayers and thoughts this Friday, as I'm having my annual MRI with the hope that everything is stable, as usual, I'm worried, but trying to contain my thoughts. Echo 4 months ago was stable, so hopefully there is no change.

Thank you

It seems many of us are so consumed by our heart conditions and surgeries we feel a need to share it with everyone, like a special badge of courage. I know I feel the pressure to blurt it out at times. That leads to things like the main question in this thread. For nearly all social situations, employer situations, life in general, outside of this forum, announcing our health issues is not relevant, interesting or helpful to others.

For nearly all social situations, employer situations, life in general, outside of this forum, announcing our health issues is not relevant, interesting or helpful to others.

So very true, though I had an exception when I mentioned something about surgery to a gal I worked with. She asked what kind and when I told her, she had tons of questions. Turned out her son has a BAV and she had all kinds of questions about the surgery. That's probably a less than 1% chance of happening!

Latest posts

Back