Shirts

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pem

I'm going to have a partial sternotomy as part of my AVR. During the recovery, what sorts of shirts would be best to wear day-to-day? I was thinking loose, cotton, button-down shirts so I don't have to try to pull shirts over my head. Does that make sense? What works best for folks?

Thanks,
pem

Pem - I loaded up on soft, button type shirts that fit loosely. Then, once I got home, I found that I could wear any shirt I wanted to wear. It just wasn't an issue for me, as long as I was careful putting it on, I could even wear long-sleeved t-shirts (my surgery was in late February). Go with whatever you think will be most comfortable for you.

Some people's chests are sensitive after surgery, some not. The original Tawdry Shirts were loose, silk, button shirts with a pocket, and were great for keeping cool and having minimal drag on the skin.

They also had wild and revolting patterns, which made them all the more fun to wear, and kept the curious away.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
I never had problems getting t-shirts over my head post-surgery which surprised me. I went with big shirts in the hospital, to keep the fabric from rubbing on my incision. Wearing a normal bra hurt for ages though so I wore sports bras for about three months! Probably doesn't apply to you tho pem . . . :)

Not putting arms over head is a myth which has appeared on this forum (and I believed). My physio includes arms above the head stretches to loosen the shoulders! I found very loose t shirts the least uncomfortable, my scar area is still irritating and the button area on a shirt is in just the wrong place.

I had to keep my left arm below shoulder level due to pacemaker lead implantation. They tell new pacemaker patients to keep their left arm below shoulder level to reduce the possibility that the newly inserted leads will move around and lose effectiveness.

At the hospital, before the pacemaker, the physical therapist told me to just to ensure that only one arm at a time was above head height. That was to keep me from exerting undue strain on the healing sternum. After a couple of weeks, that instruction was lifted, but I had the new restriction due to the pacer.

Skin sensation is a big variable. I have little to no sensation in the skin at and immediately to the left of my incision. I also have little sensation in the skin where my pacemaker is implanted beneath the skin. We all react differently. I used to think my numbness was a crummy problem, but hearing how sensitive some folks' incisions are for so long, maybe I'm better off!

I wore button down cotton shirts for the first couple weeks home as getting my arms over my head was just not comfortable. Then I was able to wear t-shirts or pretty much whatever I wanted. I didn't have a problem with any skin sensitivity until maybe 9 to 10 weeks out and it still bothers me now (16 plus weeks out). Some days I can't stand having anything touch the top of my scar and others it doesn't bother so much.

Loose T-Shirts from the day I got home from the hospital. No problem raising arms over head and I was not advised of any restrictions on lifting my arms. Cotton without buttons would seem like a good idea, but as someone already said, depends on your skin type and sensitivity.

I'm going to have a partial sternotomy as part of my AVR. During the recovery, what sorts of shirts would be best to wear day-to-day? I was thinking loose, cotton, button-down shirts so I don't have to try to pull shirts over my head. Does that make sense? What works best for folks?

Thanks,
pem

Are you talking about in the hospital the first couple days after surgey, if you are wearing your own clothes or the time right after your home a week or so post op? FWIW Justin's had a few heart surgeries and for HIM he likes to wear soft loose button down short sleeve shirts with pockets. They are comfortable for him and easy to get on or off and he finds it easier to deal with the assorted wires and tubes, if they can go between the buttons and his lower arms are free. Also he either puts the small heart monitor in either his shirt or pants pockets -which are usually gym shorts or sweats, lounge pants. HE personally prefers to be in his own clothes as soon as he is able to walk around and sit in the chair, it helps him "not feel like a sick person" like he does in the gowns.

When he is home or doesn't have wires or tubes he usually wore bigger Tshirts than he normally wears, or button down shirts

I had issues with the "over the head" shirt thing, so I bought 4 very loose cotton button up the front shirts and was so glad I did. I just really did not have the energy to struggle with getting something over my head. I had to have a pacemaker put in 3 weeks after surgery and couldn't raise my arm at all, so those 4 shirts really worked well for me. I think your decision is a good one!

BTW, folks who call button-front or "button-up" shirts "button down" have made my occasional searches for shirts on eBay VERY difficult. I like button-down shirts -- i.e., shirts with button-down collars -- and I can't reliably find them now by searching for "button down"!! Mind you, as serious problems go. . .

I am 3 weeks post op and my scar area is still sensitive (does not hurt but annoying when clothing rubs over it). I tried V-neck Tshirts which did not help. Crew neck T-shirts, contrary to popular wisdom worked out a tad better as the neck hem does not graze against the scar as does the hem of a V-neck T-shirt. At night, I have been sleeping topless.(I can get away with it because I am a guy :).
When I go out, I wear a large buttonless T-shirt and that works out the best for me.
In the hospital, the gown was quite soft and comfortable.

I am 3 weeks post op and my scar area is still sensitive (does not hurt but annoying when clothing rubs over it). I tried V-neck Tshirts which did not help. Crew neck T-shirts, contrary to popular wisdom worked out a tad better as the neck hem does not graze against the scar as does the hem of a V-neck T-shirt. At night, I have been sleeping topless.(I can get away with it because I am a guy :).
When I go out, I wear a large buttonless T-shirt and that works out the best for me.
In the hospital, the gown was quite soft and comfortable.

That is exactly what I wore; large white cotton crew neck T-shirts.
I borrowed (stole) them from my husband.
Having any buttons or seams touching my incision drove me nuts.

Latest posts

Back