SF area surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easybob

I need a new aortic valve. Any surgeon recommendations in the San Francisco bay area. I will go anywhere for a great physician.

I can think of two members from San Francisco; RayinSF and Marge. I think Marge is no longer active, but Ray is still on the member's list. You could read his posts to see who did his surgery. I think it was Dr. Scot Merritt, but I don't know where he works out of, or whether he's still operating.
In the meantime (while you're waiting for more replies):) read all you can, ask questions, and share whatever you want to share concerning your valve condition.

Check out Dr. Craig Miller. He is a Top Rated Surgeon who is well known for doing Aortic Aneurism Repairs and other Surgery of the Aorta (which is step above 'ordinary' Valve Replacement Surgery).

Do a Search for his name on VR.com and also GOOGLE and you will find many links to information on his background.

'AL Capshaw'

Hey Easybob,
I had my aortic valve replaced in July of '04 @ UCSF. My surgeon was Dr. Scott Merrick, and I can't say enough good things about him. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

~Ray
[email protected]

Ray - thanks for the message - how did you make the decision to go with a tissue valve vs. a mechanical? was it because that is the valve your surgeon prefers?

At the time of my surgery I was a pretty avid Mountainbiker/Snowboarder, and really didn't want to be on blood thinners. Especially since I had a tendency to crash quite a bit. :) Now that I have mellowed in my old age I will probably go w/ a mechanical valve when it's time for a replacement.

I second Al's recommendation of Dr. Miller at Stanford. I am still in the waiting room but I have had a consult with him and I hope he won't retire before its is my time to have surgery. There are several other members who recently had both aortic and mitral replaced by him.

All the best

Last edited:
I need a new aortic valve. Any surgeon recommendations in the San Francisco bay area. I will go anywhere for a great physician.

You don't have to go very far to get the best. Dr. R. Scott Mitchell at Stanford did my A/V and ascending aorta replacement with a Medtronic Freestyle valve on August 5th of 2008. Can't say enough about him and Stanford University Hospital. Also Dr. Craig Miller who is there. Either one would be my choice if I ever have to back for another OHS. Great hospital too. They really know how to make a patient feel comfortable, both physically and mentally! :)

Dr. Craig Miller replaced my ascending aorta and arch in Feb. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Miller, his team and Stanford Hospital. I plan to return to him when my bi-cuspid aortic valve will need to be replaced in 10-15 years. You will be in good hands!

Dr Craig Miller has done my 2nd and now my 3rd surgery, 6 wks ago. He is a great surgeon, an 'artist' in the stitching dept, according to my cardiologist.
My 3rd surgery was risky, due to the scarring, it was about a 12 hr surgery, and I am here to say I would've chosen no one else to do my surgery.
Gail

Latest posts

Back