set a date to meet with my surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enudely

I'll be meeting the surgeon who will be replacing my aortic valve next Tuesday.
I have to admit, I had a sinking feeling when I saw his picture, don't know why. Also, shouldn't "Aortic Valve Replacement" be written on there somewhere? All it says is "Aortic Repair"
Anyone have suggestions for what I should talk to him about?

Some of the descriptions in his bio could be shorthand for "replacement." I would definitely ask him how many aortic valve replacements he has done; how many he does in a typical year. Best wishes to you ....

Looks like he's practiced at the art of Mitral Valve Repair. That's a good start. Definitely find out "how many" AVR's he's done. Good luck!

Also, don't forget to practice your right to a second opinion/consultation with another surgeon. I spoke with two and was drawn to one more than the other. He's the guy I'm going to let operate on me in January.

I'll be meeting the surgeon who will be replacing my aortic valve next Tuesday.
I have to admit, I had a sinking feeling when I saw his picture, don't know why. Also, shouldn't "Aortic Valve Replacement" be written on there somewhere? All it says is "Aortic Repair"
Anyone have suggestions for what I should talk to him about?

I can't copy it for some reason, but the first thing under expertise says "aortic and mitral valve surgery"

I know of 2 different folks who have had AVR with Mark Hill, One I work with everyday and another here on the forum, realkarl. Both seem very happy with thier choice of surgeon. Search for posts by realkarl and you can find out more of his experience. Dr. Hill has been mentioned as one of Seattles Best Doc's for thoracic surgery over the the last few years.

Are you a GH member? I was sent to another at VM that didn't inspire confidence (Hall). At the time I was hoping to get the referral to Hill. By the time my wife and I decided Hall wasn't our guy, I was getting sicker and just sent my records to Petterssen at Cleveland Clinic and Miller at Stanford. Miller could fit me in sooner, good thing as I barely made it as it was but my case was complicated.

As far as questions a good start would be the sticky at the top of the pre-surgery forum http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?26668-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

Good luck with your decision. Keep asking as many questions as you have. Knowing what you will be going through before hand will give you some peace of mind believe it or not.

hi chris, that helps a lot,thank you! Yes, I'm a group health member.... sounds like maybe Hill is the best guy at VM then?

Yes Hill would be my choice at VM. I would want to ask Hill how many of "these" have you done? "These" being defined as exactly the same procedure you need. I know in realkarl's case, it was the first On-X that Hill had done, yet realkarl reports a good outcome.

I would also consider talking to more than 1 surgeon even if you decide Hill is your guy. If nothing else it's good to hear the same opinion from 2 surgeons or hear a different perspective. Your cardio shouldn't mind setting up a referral for a second opinion.

You also have the option of going to Overlake in Bellevue. A thoracic surgeon there, Vu Hoang (also on the best doc list) performed surgery last week to remove all my sternal wire and debride infected tissue. (along with a plastic surgeon who moved a couple of chest muscles over and closed). The result was better than I expected. Should you decide a second opionion is in order, he could be a good guy to chat with and would considered "in network" for the AVR. Hoang also did a lung surgery on someone I know with a good result.

Best of luck. Keeps us up to date on how your meeting goes.

Latest posts

Back