Ruby has a DATE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubywhistle

As some of you know I have been (very impatiently) waiting for a date.. today the hospital has called to confirm Monday 10th October for MVR surgery.

*Gulp*

Pretty freaked out now

- IT IS REALLY HAPPENING-

What should I buy other then a recliner?

Ruby it all becomes very real once you have the date.
You may be freaked out now, however you will most likely become very calm and accepting of what is to take place, in the last few days before surgery.
As for the recliner, I slept in a bed from the day I got home, I actually found a recliner hard to get out of as using the arms to push yourself out of the chair was painful.

Thanks OldManEmu

Good tip there I never thought of getting out of it... suppose I will have to at one point and yup I can see how it would be hard

Hi Ruby
Many have gone where you are headed. Try and tell yourself how much better you will be with your new valve and how it will enable you to get more out of life.
Following my surgery my chest was tender for a while, I tired easily and didn't have much of an appetite. However I could breathe. What's a few weeks of discomfort compared to the better quality of life you will experience? Not much.
Cheers

congratulations on getting the date set. Good luck on your preparations, and leave yourself time just to relax.

We all have different opinions on what's useful. Personally, I could not get in and out of a bed for a few months and I found the recliner indispensable. Practically lived in it, except for taking my walks. A supply of dvds of movies you've always wanted to see but have bever had time to do so is another idea for preparation.

I somehow got out of the recliner without using the handle. If you're looking into buying one, I think there are some models that have features making it even easier to navigate. You might want to check them out at a showroom.

Happy you now have a date. Hope the time moves smoothly and swiftly for you. I remember well how hard the wait is.

As to the recliner, I never used ours at all after either of my OHS. I slept in our bed both times from first day home. I surrounded myself with loads of pillows and found it much more comfortable that way, for me. I know others differ. I would strongly suggest loading up on some extra pillows in various sizes even to just use on your sofa if not your bed.

Best wishes.

You may be freaked out now, however you will most likely become very calm and accepting of what is to take place, in the last few days before surgery.

I could not agree more. My last 3 days were treated like a vacation with family...no worries.

Ruby - With your symptoms, it's good to hear you finally have a date.

Recliners seem to work for some, but not for others. I slept in the bed from the beginning, and during the day, my recliner was more of a pain to get out of than a help.

Something I bought that was a big help was a sports watch that allowed me to better monitor my walking. There are many different types and prices, but those that monitor not only time, but also distance and heart rate are great for recovering heart patients.

I'd think about buying something special for yourself too, a reward of sorts, that could also help with the down time, depending on your interests (reading, movies, etc)

The first month after surgery is the time you can expect to be more easily tired and experience varying degrees of discomfort but by the end of that time you will be noticing your stamina returning. Like many, I got a recliner which I used during the day but I slept in my own bed from the first night home. The recliner was a nice alternative for naps after a good walk. The things I really needed were my notebook computer, and books so I used my Kindle all the time. Even though I was slow at first, I also enjoyed the little tasks around the house and cooking. I did learn that one can over do things when one day I made a pot of soup. Chopping up the vegetables was no problem but the repetitive motion left me quite sore the next day. Give yourself time to do things such as laundry (I had to make several trips to load the washer because I couldn't lift a full basket), watering plants, etc. but at a comfortable pace and get out and walk regularly. I'm convinced that walking is the single most important thing you can do for yourself. Set times for walks and try to keep to your schedule instead of just walking when you want. Walking will improve your lung function and help you sleep better. Recovery is a time to explore your new body and can be a surprisingly nice time.

Larry

Here, here to the walking. I so absolutely believe it made a huge difference for me both surgeries. I was walking less than 24 hours post op in the hospital while I still had four drainage tubes . (My nurse put the containers on a wheelchair and I held the handles and walked along pushing the wheelchair.... with nurse right beside me. I asked throughout the day, everyday I was in the hospital, if I could get up and walk and they were delighted to get me up and on my feet.

Walk every chance you get but on the other hand don't over do it either.
Mass General gave me a walking schedule to follow and I did exactly as they instructed until I saw my cardio who permitted me freedom to walk more.

So that squeaking wheel got greased, eh? Good!

If you are too freaked, ask your doctor for some anti-anxiety med. It will help you through the next few weeks. Sleep is good.

My suggestion is that to allow yourself to be spoiled by the nurses in the hospital. Start walking as soon as you can in the hospital. Make sure you use the breathing device a lot. Take sleeping pills if they allow you to. Ear plugs may, or may not work. They get rid of the sound, but amplify the valve if it is mechanical. Take something nice to wear and put it on when you go for your walks around the hospital. Rent the TV and take your laptop. Books are not enough. If you don't have Netflix, get it. As soon as you can, take a shower. Constipation can be a real problem (it was with me) so deal with it early. If you have an option for the nurses to visit you at home, take it, but do your best to go out for your blood work. Start your walking regime early, and do it like your health depends on it, as it does. My biggest suggestion is that when the hospital personal come to visit you to go over drugs and proper home care, make sure there is someone from home to be there when they do. There is a good chance that you wont remember very much.

Listen to your friends, listen to your family, listen to you doctor, listen to your cardiologist and listen to your surgeon. But most of all, listen to your body.

on the Family calendar .....I would suggest you speak to the surgeon abot the type of bra he/she wants you to wear then find someone who REALLY knows how to fit you and pay whatever price they ask

Be careful about that.
My first surgery, my bra caused an infection to my incision.
It rubbed a sore spot in less than an hour.

I came to really love Barely There pull on, no hooks, no underwire lightweight bras. I was so happy I kept them after healing from my first surgery as I wore them again four years later when I had my second surgery.

Available in Macy's, Kohl's etc (For those who live in U.S.)

www.onehanesplace.com
Item No. 898PG $10.49 each in various colors

I was so lucky to find these as they served me very well.
I know you are in Australia and may not be able to find these but you might want to look for something similar. These are not heavyweight sports bras.

I could not concentrate on a book for at least two weeks post op and worked my way back to the computer. I did extremely well in the hospital but I had no interest in turning on my computer. I barely made telephone calls for most of my hospital stay (4 days). Everyone is so different.
What works for one may not work for someone else. Roll with it and do what works for you.

Where I had my surgery they insisted the female patients wear a front closing bra 24/7 for the first couple of weeks. The weight of the breast pulls on the incision especially when on your back. This is the one I got
http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/110...ont-close-bra-style-96014-reviews/reviews.htm
it's real comfy, it's light weight cotton and behind the closure there is a strip of fabric so the clips don't rub.
I also had a portable DVD player at the hospital, it was great! Oh ya, don't forget to cut your toenails, cause it'll be awhile before you can do it after surgery.

Good Luck Ruby, it'll be good to have it over with and be on the recovery road finally.

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies
I did not even think about the underwear situation I shall go find something similar to these two suggestions.
Good tip about toe nails too!

Latest posts

Back