Roundsgirl checking in

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

First I want to give a heart felt Thanks to Bonnie, for letting everyone know how things went during surgery. I am home now, actually came home yesterday. I'm glad to be here, although the pain level is still pretty intense. I'm sure it will get better each day. They said everything went very well. I was off the vent within 4 hours of the surgery, which I was told was really rare, in valve replacement surgeries, the surgeons told my family I went on and off by-pass very easily. All of these things I am greatful for. I have to be honest and say it hurts like Hell, I guess I really didn't expect it to hurt as bad as it did. The same day after I woke up and could talk with my family I let all of them know I would never do it again. It's not even a week out yet and I still feel the same. Unless, they come up with a way to do it, which is not so invasive. The doctor told us my valve was worn completely out, really streched out, that's why it was letting so much blood leak back into my heart, he did admit that he didn't know why it had done this, it just sometimes happens. I'm hoping this tissue valve will last for a long time, as I understand it, it's part pig, part cow, I don't know the exact name of it, don't feel much like looking for it right now although I'm sure most of you know exactly what kind I'm talking about.
Pain management was a big issue for me, as I was already on high powered pain killers due to back pain; Percocet, then when I came out of surgery they were giving me Loratab, no way, so needless to say this was not helping me at all. I felt like my chest was on fire, still get that sensation mostly after I get finished walking. It was hell, the first day and a half, they finally put me on a morphine pump, which helped, but up until that point, I really didn't know if I was going to make it. Or atleast that's how it felt, then the doctor on top of it all made me feel like I shouldn't have been in pain, which actually made me cry but then pissed me off. Anyway, I let him hold it once I got myself together enough to let him know I didn't appreciate how he was telling me how I should have been feeling. I think my mom would have crawled out of the room if she could. I had to listen to how his 89 year old patients, were not in as much pain as me, well this obviously made the nurses caring for me mad because they stepped up, and let him know most older patients don't have the sensations and most of them with little pain are also diabetics, which causes them to have less nerve sensations etc. It was affecting my heart rate and blood pressure and as soon as they got the pain under control, all of those stat.'s went down. I don't know it was just really frustrating for him to make me feel like "I shouldn't have been in the kind of pain that I was in." It's over and done with, Thank God for that, the mountain is a big one, I will not lie and I hope that I have not scared anyone waiting to have this surgery, in all my venting; just remember I'm not even one week out yet, so...... take it for what it's worth. He said it would have killed me and it was defiently not an elective surgey, so I know I did the right thing, for now. I'm sure as I get stronger and finally get to live that better way of life I may feel different about doing it again. I want to thank all of you for letting me vent, I needed it, you know when you feel lonely, like nobody understands, but I know all of you do and it does help.
Thanks for all of your well wishes and prayers I know they all helped.
I hope this finds you all doing great. Sending hugs your way.

Sincerely,
Roundsgirl,
Lisa

lisa

lisa

Lisa, I'm glad you feel well enough to post to us. I've been thinking of you this week and praying that not only would your surgery go well but your recovery go well too. As for the doc. trying to tell you to quit complaining right after you've had your chest ripped open lets see him have this kind of surgery and see what he thinks!!!! Take care Debbie

Hi Lisa -

Glad to hear you are home. Maybe the pain meds they were giving you just weren't really the kind that work best on you. You'll probably feel a lot better soon. Did they give you an incentive spirometer to do breathing exercises with? If they did, be sure and do those; they're really important. Take care and post again.

welcome back!

welcome back!

welcome to the other side of the mountain! it's a bit like climbing Everest with a day pack and no change of clothes, isn't it? I can totally empathize with you about the pain. Right after getting out of ICU, I turned to my father and said "I NEVER want to go through this again!" Now I'm 3 months post op and believe me, every day WILL get better. I took pain meds every six hours for the first 10 days!
Anyway, sorry to hear about your unsympathetic doc. Most doctors seem sympathetic but not empathetic, but your situation sounded like neither. Feel free to vent all you want. I don't think you'll scare the newbies anymore than they already are. You can mentally prepare as much as you want, but only when you experience OHS will you truly know how it feels. Take it step by step, day by DAY and you'll be running around before you know it. :)

Glad you are home!! Everyone is different with the pain, good for you for speaking up. It will get better and before you know it you will be well on the way to a full recovery!!:)

Lisa,
It's great to hear from you at home!
Way to go, girl!
I'm sorry you've had pain issues; mine were minimal, but everyone is different.
I bet you feel better each and every day . . . keep walking . . . that will help the most towards a quick, complete recovery!

Welcome home Lisa!

I'm glad to hear the surgery was successful but sorry to hear you suffered so much 'discomfort'. It sounds like your Surgeon could stand to learn a bit more about 'pain management'.

I'm surprised that you were NOT put on Morphine from the start. I 'believe' I was put on Morpine and gradually weened off during recovery. I thought that was standard practice, which makes me wonder all the more about your surgeon's management of your pain.

I've never heard of a tissue valve that was "part porcine and part bovine" but you can check that out later, when you are feeling a bit more on the 'road to recovery'.

My hope for you is that recovery goes smoothly and you will look back on this experience as a Life Saving and Life Giving Procedure.

Think POSITIVE !

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome home Lisa..............it does feel good to be home.
I'll agree with you that it is tough, I found my first week at home the toughest.
But like Al said "Think POSITIVE". Keep your head up and be proud that you are on this side of the mountain. You'll see that next week will be better. In the mean time, breathe, walk, eat and rest - be good to yourself.

Welcome home Lisa! Each day will get better. Your only jobs now are to walk, sleep, eat and breathe - so be good to yourself.

Cooker is right - everyone is different in how pain affects them. It's no sign of weakness to say you were in a lot of pain.

Welcome home. I am so sorry to hear about your pain. My son also had been on painkillers long term before his last surgery. They had a really hard time keeping his pain controlled. They gave him a Fentanyl pump (stronger than morphine). Don't let them make you feel bad about the pain. You have built up a tolerance to pain meds and are basically going through this with very little pain management. In other words you are one tough cookie! Hopefully you are through the worst of it and everything will look good from here on.

Welcome home! Rest easy, it gets better each day, the rough part is over.

Lisa,
I am glad to hear you surgery went well and you have it behind you. I am sorry you had such a hard time with the pain and worse, a doctor who didn't understand and wouldn't take action quickly. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

Lisa,
I am so glad that you posted. Keep us informed as to how your recovery goes. Sounds like your doc needs to understand pain management. When I have my surgery, I will take whatever I need in the pain department. Way to go girl, you made it!!!!!:D

WELCOME HOME, Lisa!

Thoughts/prayers coming your way for a continued SUCCESSFUL recovery :).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve&pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Wake me up inside" ... Evanescence ... 'Bring Me To Life'

Lisa,

Sorry about your pain. I pray each day gets better. It sounds like your doctor needs an atitude adjustment.

Do not worry about scaring us newbies in the waiting room. My "Scared as $#?!" meter is already off the scale:eek:. Excuse me I think I need Dr. Phil.

God Bless,

CP

Lisa, I know just exactly what you're talking about because I too was on pain killers, oxycodone before surgery and pain was horrible like you said, on fire! And my doctors told me the same thing that I shouldn't be in that much pain. Well I stayed in horrible pain for a month and after about 2 months it seemed to calm down, but I continued to have the stinging pain on my chest when water touched it from the shower, I was told I probably had RSD and my sternum is still kind of sore four years later. Well now I'm getting ready to go through it again and I'm having anxiety attacks everyday trying to prepare, because I too said I would never do it again but you have to do what you have to do and that's about the size of it. I'll continue to pray for you and everyone here. :)

Lisa - firstly welcome back and so glad your surgery was a success :)

Secondly, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. As someone who will be having my surgery soon I think it is important on VR.COM that we hear about the whole range of experiences - that way if if happens to us it gives us a better idea of what to do - and makes us feel that we are not alone in our circumstances. Can't believe your doctor was so unsympathetic - really makes you want to cut his chest open and see how he feels. Hope you are on the improve from hereon in and that the pain gradually becomes more controllable. Let us know how things go....

Everyone reacts differently to drugs. I remember waking up following my recent aortic valve replacement and feeling like I was struck by a bus. But my pain was primarily in my upper back and between my shoulder blades. I was on a drip of Fentanyl. It wasn't putting a dent in the way I felt. As soon as I let the ICU nurse know that, she told me that we could switch to something else. We tried toradol and it did the trick.

I also received excellent advice from one of the respiratory therapists--take your pain meds 30-40 minutes prior to doing your breathing exercise. That was perhaps the best advice I received.

My surgery was Dec 12, and within a week after being home I was able to stop using any perscription pain med, and have been using tylenol as needed.

You will be surprised at how fast you will begin to turn the corner. Please remember to walk, and do your breathing exercise.

Unfortunately, when it comes to pain management, one size does not fit all. Perhaps your surgeon should have been advised of that.

Congradulations; being post surgery, you are now on the sunny side.

Latest posts

Back