Readmitted

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matunucktuna

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I was admitted back I to the hospital yesterday because I kept having a 101 to 102 degree temperature on and off. They have been running the typical battery of tests to try to determine the source. I myself still think it's just my body adjusting to everything. To top it off, I was A-Fib yesterday when I got here, so now they want to give me Coumiden...the whole reason I selected the Bovine valve was to avoid blood thinners.

Oh rats!!!. First, did the A-fib resolve itself? Hope so. Many people are on Coumidin for a short while with tissue valves so discuss your feelings with your personal cardio cause sometimes hospital doctors just take the easy way out. How are the fevers? Hope the tests show nothing to serious. I will keep you in my prayers and hope they let you out of the hospital soon. :biggrin2:

Oh rats!!!. First, did the A-fib resolve itself? Hope so. Many people are on Coumidin for a short while with tissue valves so discuss your feelings with your personal cardio cause sometimes hospital doctors just take the easy way out. How are the fevers? Hope the tests show nothing to serious. I will keep you in my prayers and hope they let you out of the hospital soon. :biggrin2:

I was on it three months and have not looked back .....I have an ICD for F-Fib and grateul or it

A-fib after surgery isn't uncommon and for most people, it is a very short term thing until their heart heals. A lot of us who got tissue valves were on coumadin for 3 months or so after surgery just as a precaution, so hopefully, you won't need to be on it any longer than that. I had a fever like that after my first surgery, no infections were found and it eventually just went away. Hope you are feeling better soon and back on your way home.

Kim

My gut tells me that I agree that your low grade fever is due to "my body adjusting...". Although my surgery was a long time ago, the same thing happened to me and I spent several additional days in the hospital. I finally made such an "ass" out of myself that they let me go home with the fever on the stipulation that I come back if my fever went up.....it didn't. In view of all the nasty stuff you can get in a hospital nowdays, it's probably a good idea to try to find the source.

Hopefully, the A-fib will resolve itself and the warfarn will be used only a short time. FWIW, I play golf with 8 guys in their 70s. Two of us have mechanical valves and are on warfarin and three of the others are on warfarin for A-fib. Warfarin does not hold any of us back.

I hate to read that you were readmitted, but as Dick mentioned, there are enough germs floating around so it only makes sense that they err on the side of caution.
I hope the afib resolves on its own. I was lucky and never had any rhythmn issues post-op.

Matu, this sucks. They put me on Amioarone to prevent a-fib and luckily I have not had any yet. This low-grade fever you are running has to be just short term after-effects. I wish for you to get out of there ASAP.
Let us know if they find anything out of the ordinary, which I hope they do not.

In regards to Coumadin, I almost think it is a standard practice to put everyone (even tissue-valvers) on it post surgery for a very short time while all the parts grow-in and heal.

I, too, had a short re-visit to the hospital about a month after surgery. I also had the low-grade fever and a lot of abdominal pain. All kinds of tests later, they concluded that all the meds had messed up my digestive system so badly that I was very constipated. They ended up giving me an industrial-strength laxative, and shortly all was well again. Fever went down, patient went home and got back to his recovery.

Sorry to hear you are back in hospital,
After my 3rd OHS i kept spiking temps that kept me in hospital an extra 3 weeks, eac time i spiked they'd take bloods, and still to this day they couldn't find a reason for the temps,
hope you get back out soon,
thinking of you :)
Love Sarah xxx

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences which sound similar to mine.
They discharged me again yesterday after 5 days of testing; X-Ray, Echocardiogram, numerous blood cultures, urine cultures, etc and constantly running Zosyn, and Vancomycin. Everything came back negative. By Friday I wasn't running a temp at all. However last evening my temperature started to fluctuate and reached a high of 101.4 accompanied with the chills. I was very disappointed to say the least, but this morning it is back down to 99.4 It's just weird and makes me a bit apprehensive. The hospital wants a call if my temp reaches 101.5 and I know that will mean they will probably want to admitt me again...ugg.

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences which sound similar to mine.
They discharged me again yesterday after 5 days of testing; X-Ray, Echocardiogram, numerous blood cultures, urine cultures, etc and constantly running Zosyn, and Vancomycin. Everything came back negative. By Friday I wasn't running a temp at all. However last evening my temperature started to fluctuate and reached a high of 101.4 accompanied with the chills. I was very disappointed to say the least, but this morning it is back down to 99.4 It's just weird and makes me a bit apprehensive. The hospital wants a call if my temp reaches 101.5 and I know that will mean they will probably want to admitt me again...ugg.

Of course follow all doctors orders but the body has so many reactions to different things its hard to pin point how your body will respond to one of the most invasive surgeries known to man. I personally didn't have any issues with fever, in fact my whole life I've never had fever issues even when I was sicker than a dog I wouldn't get dangerously high fevers even without fever reducers.

I think the fever/chills/sweats are all responses the body is having for going through hell on earth. Almost like the body is working overtime to make things normal again and this includes running a little hot for awhile.

Matu, I am glad to hear the temp is down. Like everyone else said, our body is adjusting to things so keep the course and everything will work out.

I tried an experiment yesterday and did not walk/exercise at all (I had been walking just under 2 miles/day). The result was that my temp only went up just under a degree last night and a couple hours later dropped back to normal. Today I plan to do my walk again and monitor the temperature late this afternoon (when it seems to start rising). I'm just wondering if exercise is irritating something causing the temperature spikes. If so, maybe I have to take it easy on the walking/exercise for a bit until whatever needs to heal does. If this is true it will be disappointing to me since I really want to build my endurance back up.

Latest posts

Back